“Chase away those winter doldrums!”
Review of Penwood State Park

Penwood State Park
Reviewed January 12, 2014

For a change of pace when the winter is dragging on, we enjoy a weekend walk in Penwood. Last year we rediscovered this state park when we needed a place to stretch our legs (and the dog's). There are a variety of hiking trails as well as the road to walk along. If you go out to the edge of the ridge you get a great view of the Farmington Valley and points west. Coming around to the east, you catch glimpses of Hartford. The history of Penwood is quite fascinating - originally owned and developed by Hartford industrialist Curtis Veeder. (here's the website: http://www.ct.gov/deep/cwp/view.asp?a=2716&q=325248).

Please note that the correct spelling is Penwood.

All reviews
in 2 reviews
"trailhead"
in 2 reviews

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Very nice. Several trails to select from with varying levels of difficulty. There are frequent events at Hueblien (?) Tower. Beautiful vistas. People trek in all seasons. Some snow show / cross country ski during the winter. The tower has a very nice, interesting museum. Dog and kid friendly. Gets muddy with rain- hiking boots a must even on the easier trails. You can also drive part of the way up if you are unable to do the walk. There are several eating establishments close by to cap off the day. A very good Oktoberfest is held each year. You can make an hour of it or a complete day. Restrooms at the top and bottom of the mountain.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

The Appalachian Trail runs through this relatively small park. There is also an old road that makes a five mile loop. There is a beautiful lake on one side, a remarkable panoramic view on the other and a swamp pond around the middle of the loop. When I lived near there I walked there at least twice a week and was never bored.

1  Thank Affric
Reviewed July 29, 2013

there's a parking lot off Simsbury Rd in Bloomfield with a choice of paths to take. Cliffside walks are especially fun, with views to one side and rocky outcrops to the other. You can connect with other trails that take you further up into Wilcox Park in northern Bloomfield. There you'll find panoramic views into the Farmington River valley.

See more reviews
Reviewed May 2, 2013

I love making the circle around Penwood. I stop at Lake Louise to look over the water, feed the fish, wait for the old snapping turtle, the painted turtles, the copperhead snakes, and the frogs. I've also seen what I think is a grebe diving and coming up again. Late in the afternoon, I've seen hawks and turkey vultures flying over the far ridge and over the lake. Several times I've heard a barred owl and piliated woodpeckers which I have also seen. Very exciting. One can hike the road although its pavement is cracked and erose, or one can hike the bike trails within the woods. The Lookout has a long view, and I've seen hawks, ravens, and falcons from there. I'm glad it's a state park and protected from builders, and I hope it always will be.