“an easy way to connect with nature”
Review of Penwood State Park

Penwood State Park
Reviewed July 29, 2013

there's a parking lot off Simsbury Rd in Bloomfield with a choice of paths to take. Cliffside walks are especially fun, with views to one side and rocky outcrops to the other. You can connect with other trails that take you further up into Wilcox Park in northern Bloomfield. There you'll find panoramic views into the Farmington River valley.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

I love making the circle around Penwood. I stop at Lake Louise to look over the water, feed the fish, wait for the old snapping turtle, the painted turtles, the copperhead snakes, and the frogs. I've also seen what I think is a grebe diving and coming up again. Late in the afternoon, I've seen hawks and turkey vultures flying over the far ridge and over the lake. Several times I've heard a barred owl and piliated woodpeckers which I have also seen. Very exciting. One can hike the road although its pavement is cracked and erose, or one can hike the bike trails within the woods. The Lookout has a long view, and I've seen hawks, ravens, and falcons from there. I'm glad it's a state park and protected from builders, and I hope it always will be.

Reviewed July 16, 2012

X-C ski from the Hartford Road/ Simsbury Road entrance.

You are on the Metacomet Trail, which goes for many miles.

You are across the street from the trail to the Heublein Tower, which is not to miss.

Reviewed May 4, 2012

I really love the versatility of this park for hiking. My favorite hike is to go in on the black trail (it's the one on the left) and hike straight back on an old crumbling road to the mountain face, veer to the left and follow the blue trail up the mountain on a trail of partially made stairs of rock then at the top go to the left up 50 feet to the best view of Simsbury. What a great hike. My eight year old boy and I did it in the rain and he was impressed with the view you can imagine a nice day! Once you're finished there follow the trail down to a paved road to a pond "lake Louise" and you will have three ways to go. I take the middle trial (blue) up the path. A great hike that meanders along the ridge, no views but really quaint and you'll come across the rock sackings. If you take that route it's about two hours round trip. enjoy

1  Thank wineman99