“Expect the unexpected-”

IHOP
Ranked #34 of 47 Restaurants in Bloomfield
Cuisines: American
Reviewed August 17, 2013

As with most chain restaurants, the attitude of the manager filters up (or down) to the whole staff. We go there once in a while because the kids like pancakes. I've never had anything there that I would rate as good or better. Bacon might be raw or burnt, eggs might be hard or soft. No consistency. It doesn't help to make special requests. Either the server doesn't write it or the kitchen doesn't read it. Sorry, I just can't wrap my arms around this place.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

The only reason I rated this IHOP as average is because the food I've had there is usually acceptable - not outstanding,not above average, but okay. I've never had a server who wasn't pleasant. However, the kitchen staff must not be up to par, as there is always a very long wait for one's food to arrive, regardless of how many customers are present. And then, food doesn't always arrive quite as ordered. It seems the overall management of this restaurant is really poor - as though the manager doesn't care about the problems or the customers. And that's too bad, because pancake houses are usually always popular. Also, I noted in another review comments about screaming children, and I have experienced the same situation.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

Went with family on a Sunday morning. Got there just after 10am. The staff was friendly. We were seated within 10 minutes. But then it took 45 minutes to receive our food. The oatmeal arrived with none of the fruits or brown sugar and it took several minutes for get it back with all the extras. The toast on one of the dishes was moldy and had to be sent back. The buttermilk pancakes were ok, and the chicken crepe not worth the calories. Not running back.

Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

This restaurant is a favorite of mine. We have breakfast here every other week and I always order the same meal Swedish crapes with bacon. I ask for soft crepes since at times they come hard and ask for the bacon to be so well done that it is burned. "Burn the bacon" is the way I order it and I usually have to send it back because it is not done well enough. Today the crepes came perfect but the bacon had to be sent back. I also ask for two lingonberries on the side instead of the butter. For some reason the very pleasant server Stephanie just do not understand that simple request. This server was very nice an corrected all the issues. We always enjoy our breakfast here and will return but I wish the service and the product was more consistent. There is always a bit of a wait on Sunday morning but we don't mind since we request a booth and that takes a while longer. The manager Nash has always accommodated us but he is not yet here today. Our relationship goes back to the days he ran the IHOP on the Berlin Turnpike many years ago.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

IHOP isn't fine cuisine; it's hearty, crowd-pleasing food. Within that latitude, there are some really tasty dishes (like the pot roast sandwich) and some dishes one will never order again (for me, the vegetable-filled crepe). I don't complain about the food because I know what to expect. The restaurant management, however, is really complaint-worthy. The worst problems at IHOP could be solved in one day of decent management. For example, the last time we went there, the sound system was turned up very loud to a rock music radio station. We could barely hear each other or the waitress. When the announcer came on, conversation was even more difficult -- the noise was just chaotic. Also, table condiments had run out and no one had replenished them, so there was no sugar for the coffee, no regular syrup for pancakes, and no catsup or salt. Silverware items in two of the three sets were dirty. Though we liked the waitress, the kitchen output was very, very slow. The manager was seating customers but he never said anything (such as "hello" or "please follow me"); he just walked to the table with a really sour-looking face. Finally, we realize that this is a family restaurant, with prices and food that attract families with young children. We tolerate a certain amount of kid noise; we've been that route, too. But a child who shrieks repeatedly at the top of his/her lungs throughout the entire stay is not tolerable. On an earlier visit to the restaurant, we spoke to the waitress about seating either us or the child's family in the pleasant little, mostly-enclosed sun room at the back of the restaurant, but because it was an off hour, the manager wouldn't do it. We finally asked to have our food packed up and we left early, explaining to the manager on the way out why we left. There was no expression of being sorry, no attempt at reparation. With our more recent return to the restaurant, we see that the bad management is still in place. I doubt that we'll ever return. The one thing that keeps such a badly managed restaurant going is that Bloomfield is underpopulated with sit-down family restaurants, so people will put up with such poor management though they deserve so much more.