“Wonderful evening”

Woodward House
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Had dinner with another couple here and we all agreed it was special...We were greeted at the door by who I found a bit later was the owner...she was welcoming to say the least....escorted to our table in a lovely room surrounded by unique paintings...we all chose the special menu which had some very nice choices, and all found the soup, entree, and dessert to be excellent...what I especially liked was the peace and quiet of the dining rooms...if I had one small negative comment, it was that the rolls were not replaced when eaten....
I find it interesting that the negative reviews on this site were written by those who have never reviewed before....
I look forward to coming back again, and this restaurant is about an hour away from my home

2  Thank magnet1125

Reviewed December 31, 2012

I don't understand pottery reviews this is one of finest restaurants you will ever go to... Beautiful atmosphere ask for one of rooms to the left as you enter when make reservations.... Food excellent. Portions a little small but great presentation service can be spotty but a great experience for a special lady meal somewhat expensive butworth it

1  Thank 2002porsche911T
Reviewed December 24, 2012

The Woodward House Restaurant on the green in The Christmas Town was built circa 1790 by Samuel Church as a wedding present for his daughter Betsy who as marrying into the Bird family. It became the Bird Tavern and later reputed to be a stop on the Underground Railroad.
When Adele Johnson the present innkeeper took over the edifice, she kept the rooms of the original tavern to retain the colonial flavor for intimate dining, but her decor within those rooms shows unique artwork and taste. Her fixed price meals include local produce and a seasonal menu. American cuisine with refined and ever changing choices keep the Woodward House a popular stop on the antique trail between Woodbury and Litchfield.

2  Thank Carol Ann B
Reviewed December 16, 2012

Our organization met for drinks and prix fix dinner at WOODWARD HOUSE on Dec. 13, 2012.
Our servers, one of whom was, i believe the owner, were as unfriendly and unpleasant as can be. The dinners were not very good, except for the salmon, i heard. I have never seen a NY Strip Steak so thin, nor tasted one as bland.
Needless to say, we wont be going back. High cost and unpleasant experience. I must say it was nicely decorated for the season.

Reviewed September 6, 2012

We have been wanting to dine at The Woodward House... we looked forward to a special treat.
When we walked into the restaurant, we were seated without a welcoming spirit..which was
a forecast of the evening.
We sensed the waitress was an owner who wasn't happy having to wait on us. Her answers were short and we were rushed to order and then waited to be served overcooked salmon. Water glasses were not refilled and emptied wine glasses were left on the table. Not what one expects at an upscale restaurant.
My husband mentioned our disappointment in the salmon and when we finally received our check, we were presented with a gift certificate to use at another time.
Unfortunately, neither of us want to return...but we are hoping for other diners that this was just an off night for the owners and that they will have a better experience than we did.

1  Thank aganung