“Slow Response and Poor Customer Service (Restaurant)”

Sunset House Lombok
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Batu Layar
Reviewed November 30, 2013

My friend's and my family visited Sunset House Restaurant on the way to Austore Pearl Farm. We were brought there by our taxi guide. Although the hotel is small, I can said that it's cosy and comfortable. It's close to the beach and with a lovely swimming pool and restaurant.

I saw the 4.5 stars rating from trip advsior, which they displayed in the restaurant. But it didn't prove its worth. When we reached there, there's only 3 groups of customers, total of about 12 customers. One of the tables was just being served with food. We sat upstairs as we a group of 8. After giving our orders, more customers walked in.

We waited for about half hour but no food was served. My wife went down to check on the status. The staff simply just said that today was busy so we are to wait for another half an hour. I went down to check after 10 minutes. 2 dishes were left on the serving desk and there's 2 staff standing besides it. But no one seems bother to serve the dishes. After 40mins of wait, we were finally served. The dishes were not served immediately after cook as I could only say the food was barely warm. But the food considered nice and value for money.

We rushed to finish the food as we had wasted our time waiting. We asked for bill but the staff further delayed our time looking for the ordering slip. The staff simply round off the bill amount without asking us.

There's no shelter path between the hotel reception and restaurant. So it will be problematic if it's raining. The toilet besides the reception is clean but there's a see through window. If I was to stand at level 2, I could see clearly what's going on in the toilet.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Jackson790908

Reviewed November 29, 2013

I have stayed at Sunset House twice this year and loved it. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The rooms are clean and spacious. The gardens are beautiful and the sunsets are amazing. I would recommend Sunset House to anyone who wants a great hotel at a very reasonable price.

Room Tip: If you like to sleep in then choose a room across the road so you wont be woken by guests having an...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Dianne J
Reviewed November 25, 2013

We stayed at Sunset House for 3 days 4 nights. The room we stayed in was called Dayanti (or something like that) It was ground floor with magnificent sea views and very quiet. The bed and pillows were more then comfy. The staff all were very friendly and obliging.
I have just rebooked to return in September 2014.
I think what Loved most was the setting and waking up to the view of the ocean

Room Tip: Ask for Dayanti or the rooms above as the views are fantastic and it is away from the road noise
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 19, 2013

We stayed at Sunset House again in October 2013, and it was as wonderful as we remember our first stay back in April 2010. This time we booked out the front 20 rooms and took 40 or our nearest and dearest for 5 nights. All our guests raved about Sunset House commenting on what a wonderful, friendly resort it is with fantastic staff. The staff are the main reason we chose this resort again. And it was fantastic to see some of the staff from our first visit, Nisa and Ana were still working there, It was like greeting long lost friends. If you are looking for a personal, value for money resort on the beach with a beautiful pool and warm friendly staff, together with large comfortable rooms, then we would highly recommend this resort, We would not usually visit the same place twice as there are so many places to see in the world, but we have fallen in love with Lombok and everyone at Sunset House, and are already planning our next visit, Many thanks to Cece and her wonderful team.

Room Tip: The poolside upstairs rooms are very quiet as are the newer Pool Access rooms with their own private...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Robyn W
Reviewed November 12, 2013

Having a very short trip at lombok (2 days and 3 nights) we decided to stay at Senggigi. That was my first time went to Lombok. And want to explore many places in 2 days effective. Decided to stay at Sunset House because this hotel provided Bike Rental. Which for me have a reasonable price (USD 50/day). Since we spent all day exploring Lombok (Kuta Beach, Sasak Sade, Mataram and Gili Tour).
The standard room offer cheap price even though we should across the road from the main hotel. But nothing to complain. You can spend the rest of your day near the pool which facing the beach and it was really peaceful. Breakfast is so so but enough. The restaurant also has a reasonable price for food and taste good. Staffs are very helpful and the wifi connection also fast.

Room Tip: If you choose the Standard Room try to have room in the corner (room no. 26). Not near the main road...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank MissAnemon
Reviewed November 12, 2013

That is if you are practising developing tolerance or overcoming a noise phobia then exposure is the best medicine. For me, a holiday by the sea means you can hear the ocean's waves over the traffic. Not possible here as this hotel is far too close to the main road that has an endless stream of traffic and mufflerless motor bikes 24/7. Breakfast is basic but enough. The pool is small and indeed right on the ocean front but the swimming is better further down the beach closer to Sengiggi Beach Hotel which for a little more, has lots going for it - up market, spacious, a real resort and quiet. I would not hesitate to go there next time but would have to give this hotel a pass. Even for an upgrade from the garden view room I had, to the ocean front, you still hear the traffic and the rooms are smaller. One I was shown had serious mildew due to constant aircon drip outside on the wall causing damp. It amazes me how little maintenance goes on in these places. The garden view room I had was spacious, clean, cool and comfortable - no complaints there and on tap internet was fast. The staff were really accommodating except do not even think of asking for a free upgrade! There are several more interesting properties close by that would be without the road noise if you care to search.

Room Tip: Go for their best room - deluxe ocean view and forget the rest - you deserve it having come all this...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I and my friend stayed here in May 2013. It was a two week holiday and this was the third and best hotel we stayed throughout our holiday. I fell in love with the garden, pool and the beach area. The view during sunset made us feel like we were in heaven.
The staff were lovely and food was so tasty. Our rooms were cleaned/tidied up each day. Amazing value for money. If i had chance to go to Lombok again, this hotel would definitely be where i would stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Holiday Resort Lombok
Holiday Resort Lombok
#6 of 7 in Mangsit
Living Asia Resort and Spa Lombok

Been to Sunset House Lombok? Share your experiences!