“A mistake to start with”

Best Western Danbury/Bethel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Bethel
Boston, Massachusetts
“A mistake to start with”
Reviewed August 15, 2011

The last time I stayed in a Best Western was almost 20 years ago. I booked it for four days and stay for one.
This time I was taking my kids to NYC from Boston. To give my 13 year old son something to work on, I asked him to pick a place in between to spend a night. Of all places, he picked this Best Western. First I thought "No", but then I thought I needed to respect all the work he put in to come up with it. "Just one night, how bad could it be." Right? Wrong.
We pulled in this place in the evening. We had a long day of activity and a few hours drive, I was tire and hungry. So were the kids. Got my room and checked in, I found a half finished bottle of water by the TV. Called front desk and told them that there seems to be someone still in the room. The lady said not to worry, "just leave the bottle out side the door". I did.
I started unpacking, that is when I discovered the bathroom was filthy with dirty towels and hair in the tub. Talking about Best Worstern.
I called and have my room changed. The lady made the wrong key for me. After all these running around, I was about to blew up. But the front desk was nice and apologetic, so I swallowed my fury and figure I just get on with it.
After some food, I was feeling better. I after taking a shower, I realized there was only one set of towels, for three people?
The next morning, I had a chat with the "manager". They guy was all nice, offered me 250 points. I turned him down. It will take me another 20 year to stay in another Best Worstern and I do not think those points are going to be any good. Be ware.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Larry S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Walled Lake, Michigan
Reviewed July 31, 2011

Breakfast was WONDERFUL! Be careful when ordering food to be delivered, there is another Bestwestern in the same area. The desk staff was "nice" but young. We got in late and exhausted, and after an hour or two realized that the a/c was broke. I was told there were no other rooms available and no maintenance on call and no manager to talk to. I asked the fellow at the front desk to call SOMEONE and do something. After my daughter (who was feeling ill) woke up covered in sweat, we were told that we could change our room. The next morning I asked for a credit for our inconvenience (which meant everyone now had to take showers and they were short on towels etc). The nice young girl told gave me a business card and told me to call the manager Monday morning. I was very unhappy to leave without resolution, and felt anxious angry and cheated. That Monday morning I did get a chance to talk to the very nice manager, who gave us a $30 credit. I appreciated his effort and sincerely hope that they train the staff in better ways to handle these situations. Other than that, the place was OK, served its purpose, we slept well.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank TerriD9854
Plymouth, Minnesota
Reviewed July 27, 2011

This hotel is overall ok. I have stayed here three times now. The rooms are always clean and that is honestly the most important thing when staying a hotel. You better get up early though if you want to shower. Anytime after 8 am means you're taking a cold shower. The rooms are spacious and well laid out. I have not had any housekeeping issues on any of my stays. The wireless connection in this hotel is just fine in your room. The conference room connection is spotty at best. It keeps going in and out and can't be relied upon to use anything on the web during a presentation. Additionally, the hotel business center computer is horribly slow on the web. For some reason they chose to leave this as wireless instead of a wired connection. It took me 10 minutes to check in for my flight because of the internet connection on that machine. I could have been done in 30 seconds on my phone if I could have printed from the phone.

Overall, if you're looking for a decent place to stay at a very good rate I would recommend this hotel. It's just fine. I have a choice of where I stay and I come back because any other hotel in the area that would be any better is at least $50 more per night.

2 Thank lalevin1974
Richmond, VA, USA
Reviewed July 21, 2011

We stayed here for a night on my way to a professional workshop. The room was clean, the bed was very comfortable. The lady at the front desk recommended a diner up the hill that had decent food for the price. The breakfast was good for a complimentary breakfast and the attendant was helpful.

Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed July 21, 2011

- Very clean
- Staff was very friendly and helpful
- Free Fitness club right next door

Danbury, Connecticut
Reviewed July 20, 2011

Excellent hotel with nice amenities, and a friendly staff. If you are looking for a hotel with a good gym look no more. The hotel is affiliated with a gym literally next door and the gym is second to none in the area. (Sportsplex) Great Hotel, Great Gym, and nice staff

Blackstone, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 28, 2011

I travel frequently for work, and anybody who does the same can vouch for how difficult it is to stay fit with all the restaurant eating and generic hotel Gyms. I really like staying at this Best Western when in the area because they give you free access to a beautiful 10,000sqft Gym right next door. The Gym is very clean and modern, with many classes to attend. I've lost 10lbs this month staying at the Best Western.

The hotel rates are great. The hotel itself is average, honestly nothing special, but good for a business traveler that just checks in, grabs a local bite to eat, & likes to hit the gym, before crashing & leaving again in the AM. The best parts of the hotel are the price, the Gym access & local food choices.

There is an awesome Brick oven pizza / Italian restaurant across the street, and a great sports bar, w/ 40 flavors of wings about 5min away.

There is free breakfast in the AM too. It's Limited, but free.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank chewy212
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bethel
La Quinta Inn & Suites Danbury
#4 of 15 in Danbury
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#13 of 15 in Danbury

Been to Best Western Danbury/Bethel? Share your experiences!