“Good basic hotel”

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Berlin
Newtown, Connecticut
“Good basic hotel”
Reviewed February 11, 2009

I stayed with a group of ladies at this Best Western for a seminar. The hotel was very comfortable with basic accommodations. The rooms were very clean. We also liked that the rooms came with a small sleeper sofa, so four ladies fit very easily in the two beds and one sofa bed. I really liked the microwave and refrigerator that were provided. There was a coffeemaker, and the bathroom had a built-in hairdryer that worked well. The beds were comfortable. The buffet breakfast looked plentiful, although I only had time for the coffee. But other ladies from my party said it was good, especially the waffles. The front desk attendant was extremely helpfully, even supplying jumper cables when one of our vans wouldn't start. Overall a good basic hotel that is clean and comfortable.

• Liked — price and room layout
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank lgelkins

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
boston
Reviewed December 5, 2008

Everything looked clean and fine on the surface. There was a slight odor- as mentioned in other reviews - but it wasn't offensive. I was in bed watching TV and enjoying what I thought was a great deal when I noticed I had 5 or 6 bites on the back of my thighs. Had a cordial conversation with the man at the front desk who very nicely offered to put me in another room. I didn't stay. I got a refund. Might have been a fluke but I certainly wouldn't go back to find out!

Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank kisawe
Florida
Reviewed May 30, 2008

I found this hotel to be the "bare minimum" to keep a Best Western membership, despite the plaques in the lobby touting their high Best Western inspection scores.

Examples:

* Very slow WiFi access.
* Never more than 2 towels in the bathroom.
* Cheap breakfast with tons of bread, very little fruit or yogurt.
* Cheap bedding.

My guess is that this hotel was constructed at the least cost possible, and over time it will show its age sooner than most hotels. There was little competition in this area of the Berlin Turnpike at the time this hotel was built, but that is changing very fast.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Centerfield
NH
Reviewed April 25, 2008

I enjoyed this hotel thoroughly! We actually decided on this hotel while visiting some colleges with my daughter.. it was very convenient for us to get to the highways from here to see Wesleyan, Quinnipiac and Yale.. lots of restaurants within a short drive and quiet and clean area without any signs of danger anywhere nearby.. this was important especially with our daughter with us.

Breakfast was good enough, internet was a nice feature and rooms were very clean and comfortable

we would stay again and reccommend to anyone visiting the area.

• Liked — quality of rooms and service
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Beantown
Reviewed October 20, 2007

We found this hotel during our business trip to Central CT (We operate an Engineering Firm designing 2 new Retail facilities in the area!) The hotel looked and felt brand new, but apparently it is a couple years old but meticulously maintained! Our room was called a "Business Suite" and had a king bed, couch, comfy chair, microwave and fridge and a VERY ergonomic chair!

The room was huge and I would compare it to a Springhill Suites room. Lots of space for us to relax and really spread our maps and reports out. Decor was really nice and upscale and we really had to compliment the staff and GM for taking such care of the hotel. There was wireless internet and a nice indoor pool that we even used! Breakfast was adequate and I would say comparable to a Holiday Inn Express breakfast.

We stayed for 4 nights and the stay was terrific all around. There were lots of restaurants a few miles up and all the stores we needed (Man is Walmart the best!). We had some jobs in Newington, West Hartford, Berlin and Meriden and the hotel was literally right in the middle.. the GM told us that Berlin is the geographic center of the state and it really felt like it because every highway was right there. If we get any more jobs in CT we will defiinitey be back to this Best Western and recommend it to all! Thanks Best Western Berlin.

After watching the recent Office episode I had to write about this stay =)

Stayed October 2007
1 Thank ebaydeals
Ny, NY
Reviewed April 14, 2007

This hotel is practically brand new and was quite the treat for our visit to see some colleges in CT with our son. The room was nicely decorated and had free wireless internet. There was an indoor pool and fitness center and a PC in the lobby for me to check email while my wife or son was on the the computer in our room. Breakfast was there every morning and got us off to a nice start. Staff was great and got us directions to everything we wanted to visit....housekeeping was amazing! our room was spotless every day.. apparently the hotel is in the geographic center of the state so we were able to get to every major highway within a few minutes.. (we went to Yale, Quinnipiac and Wesleyan).. lots to see and do in down time too with a nice mall close by and all kinds of stores and restaurants.

I will definitely be staying here again when we come back!

Stayed April 2007
Bath,Maine
Reviewed March 30, 2007

We got caught up in a snowstorm while traveling the last part of our trip from FL to ME. All we wanted was a clean quiet place to crash for the night. We had picked up one of the Roomsaver books and looked through it for the closest hotel that would work for us. I have used the Roomsaver books in the past and never had an issue with the hotel honoring the quoted price. I called this hotel and asked if they had rooms avb. They said yes so we got off the highway. It took a while to find. There were few (maybe 5) cars in the lot. The front desk clerk told me he could not honor the coupon because the room was not avb. It was well after midnight and there was a room avalible so I asked him to explain. He looked at me like I had three heads and told me he could give it to me for the best rate that was still $30 more than the coupon price but less than the original quote he gave me. I was ticked but at that point just took it. I asked for a portable crib and again got a blank stare. After repeated attempts to explain what I was asking for (a crib, or pack n' play) he said they did not have any. Fine. The next morning we went to breakfast which was small and sugar filled but at least there. Durring breakfast I overheard another man getting upset because the same front desk clerk was trying to charge him more than his reservation quoted him. After about half an hour he seemed to get his money back. As we were checking out a new girl was on the desk. I asked her about cribs and she said they do have them and there was one avb the night before. She promised to take care of the problem but did not offer me anything for my trouble.
The room itself was clean enough but lacking enough towels for 2 people let alone 4 of us. The heat was hard to control and the walls were thin. My husband was kept awake by a guy talking on his cell phone outside our door at 5am. I wouldn't stay here again.

• Liked — it was clean enough
  • Disliked — the night/morning desk clerk
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank flutterby24a
Also consider these accommodations in or near Berlin
Comfort Inn & Suites Conference Center
Inn at Middletown
Inn at Middletown
#1 of 3 in Middletown
Red Roof Inn Hartford - New Britain

Been to Best Western Plus New England Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!