“Educational Gem”

Rocky Mountain Dinosaur Resource Center
More attraction details
Owner description: Travel back in time -- The Rocky Mountain Dinosaur Resource Center is a new 20,000 square foot museum located in Woodland Park, Colorado (only 30 min. from Colorado Springs). We feature fossils from North America's Cretaceous Period including marine reptiles, pterosaurs, dinosaurs, a working fossil lab viewable by visitors, children's play area and hands-on educational activities. Open all year.
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We took the grandkids here while visiting family and friends from Woodland Park and could not believe I've never heard of this educational gem. I've driven through Woodland Park on the way to Breckenridge and kept saying to myself "self" this looks like a place that has the potential to rip you off like a bad amusement park. Boy, was I wrong. It might be small but it packs lots of interesting and educational info in a small building. You really need to read your way through this place to understand how important and truly scientific it is.

1  Thank luv2bgone_2
There are newer reviews for Rocky Mountain Dinosaur Resource Center

Reviewed August 28, 2013

One word sums it up....AMAZING. Do yourself a favor while in Woodland Park Colorado and go ..no matter what your age you will be astounded by the displays and learn about our planet some things you probably will have never known before ...so worth the small entrance fee .

1  Thank ursousa
Reviewed August 9, 2013

The Dinosaur Resource Center is small, but has several great examples of dinosaur fossils. Quite a few of them are real, not just plaster casts. Well worth a visit.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

We drove from Colorado Springs to see this attraction. I was surprised by how many fossils (real and casts) there were. There was so much information to absorb that we could have easily spent over an hour there, but my 4-yr-old didn't have the patience to let us read all the placards. There is a kids area with brushes to uncover "fossils." The place is not very big but it's packed with displays. I think adult admission is around $11 and kids 4 and under are free.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

We were staying in Woodland Park, so this was a very convenient attraction to visit. My youngest children, 11-year-old twins, were excited to visit the resource center. I was happy to learn that this was an actual museum with real dinosaur fossils and not a simple roadside attraction. Having been to larger museums, such as the Field Museum in Chicago, I did think this museum was rather small. If we had not caught one of the tours, I probably would have been disappointed by the size of the museum in comparison to how much it cost for our family of six to get in.The tour guide, however, was very interesting and made the experience far more enjoyable than it would have been to just walk through the resource center on our own. It was also interesting to see the workers as they prepared bones and casts. They take a picture of you when you first walk in and I found the price to be quite reasonable ($5 for one or $8 for two pictures). We bought ours because it was quite amusing!

In all, this is a worthwhile experience if you are in the area, particularly if you get one of the tours. It would not, however, be worth driving a great distance to see.