“Cute little lodge. Great sleeping and location with shops and bars close by”

The Viking Lodge and Ski Shop
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Cute little lodge with great sleeping. Our only down falls were that the hottub was not hot, and we found out there was a game room when we left, very hard to find. It was hard to get fresh towels and ran out of t.p. that was not restocked when asked. Other than that eveyone was very helpful and the room was great

• Stayed: December 2013
Scott S, Owner at The Viking Lodge and Ski Shop, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. We have been having challenges with the hot tub lately. To make a long story short the pump is bad and the heater doesn't work well when the water isn't flowing at the correct volume. We are grappling with the choice to replace the pump ~$1000 or replace the whole tub.

We will try better with the Towels and TP on your next stay.

Reviewed December 27, 2013

We arrived after 5 probably closer to 7 and no one was at the desk. The key however was attached to the bulletin board. We went to the end unit near the road and the windows were open and the room was freezing! I could see my breath no exaggeration. It was also very dark since only one light was working. Some of the 1960 floor heaters didn't seem to be working and the tv was attached to a 1970's extension cord and touching the heater which wasn't much warmer than 60 deg F so that shouldn't be a problem but it did seem like a fire hazard. I called the number which was to the empty front desk to be moved or get a refund but no one answered and no one called me back after leaving an IRATE message! I would not recommend this place for anyone! We didn't feel like freezing to death in -18 deg F outside temps so we stayed in the nice Best Western near by.

Room Tip: go to the Best Western it was clean, warm, quiet, and had breakfast included which was good.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank starzpetal
Scott S, Owner at The Viking Lodge and Ski Shop, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Thank you for taking time to review my hotel, I am sorry that what we provided didn't match your expectations. Yes this is an old building and we are in the process of updating it, however with some of the least expensive room rates in town this will take some time. The phone number that you mention goes directly to my cell so that I can personally take care of any guest assistance or emergencies and I did not receive any phone calls. The heating system while a little dated works fantastic and keeps the rooms very comfortable. It is a radiant hot water system so it does take a bit of time to catch up.

We strive to provide a clean comfortable and inexpensive lodging experience for our guests. We realize that our lodge is not for everyone and will gladly assist in making alternative accommodations. Hopefully the next time you are in Winter Park you will stop by and see the progress that we are making and give us another try.

Reviewed November 5, 2013

Having had a tour of the place before, I knew the rooms were small and the building is a bit dated. This just adds to its charm.

A friend and I decided to take an off-season trip for the weekend and reserved two rooms. Scott was very accommodating in allowing us to reserve one night instead of their usual two-night minimum. However, it did have to be paid for in advance.

Scott did tell us that there might not be anyone in the office when we checked in, but that the check-in packet would be available for us. Upon arrival, we discovered that not only was no one in the office, but the ski shop was closed as well. Absolutely no one around whatsoever. (Safety Issue #1)

We checked the note left on the office door for instructions. It stated to go back down the stairs and go through the brown door. The check-in packet could be found on a bulletin board (can't remember for certain, but it may have said "clipboard"). We looked for the only brown door we could find; which was a plain tan door leading into the ski shop's workshop. Not it. We turned around and noticed a BLUE door at the bottom of the steps to the office and decided to try that. Eureka! (Guess the management is color blind.) The keys to our rooms were in envelopes with our names and room number in plain sight at the top of the steps tacked to a bulletin board. (Safety Issue #2)

While we were at the top of those steps, we checked out the "Quiet Area" around the corner. It is a fairly comfortable, yet dated, room with a fireplace and a few furniture pieces. It also contained a sort of breakfast counter that appeared it hadn't been used in quite a few months.

We then decided to check out the game room in the basement. There is a closet at the bottom of the stairs that was open and filled with paint cans and paint supplies. Fire hazard? (Safety Issue #3)

The game room proved to be a less-than-desirable place to hang out. The ice machine is broken. There was a tiny broken treadmill in the corner. The pool table looked usable. The ping pong table was covered with heavy particle board pieces that couldn't even be lifted. We followed the connecting hallway to the restrooms; which appeared to be the only rooms in the whole building they updated. They were charming and extremely clean. Just past the restrooms was what can be loosely described as a dry sauna. Anyone using that sauna might come out with more bacteria than when entering, no matter how hot it got. The shower outside the sauna was being used for storage.

Our instructions stated the hot tub on the patio was open until 11:00 p.m. We lifted the cover to the hot tub and found it slightly warm and not quite as clean as it could be. No controls to turn it on could be found.

Again, we knew what to expect with the rooms, so were satisfied with the size of the rooms and the basic amenities of the rooms; which were very clean. (Probably cleaner than some Holiday Inns in which I've stayed.) However, my friend's room was ice cold! We found a space heater in the closet area, plugged it in and turned it on. Instructions on the heater said to keep it three feet from other objects -- problem -- room is so small, that is impossible. (Safety Issue #4) The rooms did, indeed, have smoke alarms, yet it was hard to tell for certain if they were actually working without a ladder to press the test buttons.

Just outside the rooms in the hallway, we found the fire extinguisher that, according to the tag, to not have been serviced since 2005/2006. (Safety Issue #5)

We started to feel a bit uncomfortable by this time.

Our rooms were at the top of a set of stairs through an outside door. The step riser at the very top to the landing is slightly smaller than the other risers and juts into the landing about three inches. As we started down the stairs, my friend miscalculated the top step and fell. She wasn't hurt, but that was the 'final straw' that led us to not stay.

We chalked the cost up to experience and checked into the Zephyr Mountain Lodge and were much happier.

The Viking Lodge building, charming and nostalgic, has such great potential. It could be a great place to stay if there were small improvements made. We would love to stay there on our frequent visits, but the safety issues and lack of a secure feeling prohibits that. Currently, it gives the impression that management simply doesn't care about it and that is sad, indeed.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank TravelerCS
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Third year in a row that I stayed at the Viking Lodge. Excellent value for the money and the rooms were clean and staff was great! Location is prime for area resturaunts, bike rentals etc.
Will definately be back!!!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 3, 2013

The staff was very friendly and the price was right. A family member booked the room for me and the staff left a key for me in the office. He knew I was freezing from riding my motorcycle in the rain all day and told my family to tell me about the hot tub and that I could turn the heat up in my room if I needed. The room and bathroom were both small and there were no perks in the room like a coffeemaker or a big screen tv, but cleanliness, friendly staff, charm, comfort and price are more important to me. I had the hot tub to myself and it was clean and the perfect temperature. This was in a quiet neighborhood and within walking distance of lot of stuff. He even said I could park my motorcycle under the tent where bicycle are rented during the day. The next morning, he offered me the use of any tools I needed while I was checking my motorcycle over and asked if I got warmed up. I was very pleased with my experience and would happily stay again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We stayed here for two nights, July 15th and 16th, 2013. It is a little rustic, very basic acomodations, but the bed was comfy, and it was absolutely clean and neat as a pin! You could've eaten off the floor in the bathroom, honestly! The location cannot be beat, it's virtually steps from a major area where there are a LOT of restaurants and shops. The manager, Shannon, was extremely friendly, and knowledgible about the area and the fun stuff to do. We loved our stay here, and would come back again, anytime, and OH, the rates are the best up in Winter Park.

Room Tip: Ask for Shannon! Tell her your situation, and she will help you.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I am sorry to say our experience at the Viking Lodge was not a pleasant one. Upon arrival we found you either had to park in a gravel parking lot if you want your car near the lodge or in a free city parking garage. We went into the office and found a note that asked us to check in at
the ski shop. We went up quite a few sets of small narrow stairs. The hall was so dark it was hard to find the key hole, maybe due to the burned out lights in the hall. We found our room and upon walking in we were struck by a very strong musty odor.
The room itself was pretty good size, but the bathroom was very tiny. The room was very dark with only four lights counting the bathroom light. The rooms have no air conditioning. which is fine since it cools of nicely at night, but the windows in the room barely opened and had no screens. The room had a fan in it but the fan was not very clean. The beds really need to be replaced. The office hours or should I say ski shop hours are from 9:00am to 6:00pm. Everything is locked up at 6pm. There is a phone number left on the office door in case you need anything. The amenities advertised on the web site sound exciting but are yet another disappointment. They are located in a dimly lit basement with the ice maker that is falling apart, along with the pool cues and ping pong table. We booked our room for 2 nights. We stayed the first night with very little sleep. We waited for the office to open at 9 to let them know we were checking out. We asked about a refund and the manager got some attitude and would not give us any money back. Offered us a credit which we refused. Quite disappointing due to the fact we can rarely afford to go out of town. We ended up going home, taking all this as a learning experience.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Zephyr Mountain Lodge
Zephyr Mountain Lodge
#3 of 25 in Winter Park
Stay Winter Park Beaver Village

Been to The Viking Lodge and Ski Shop? Share your experiences!