“Great Place to Stay!”

The Viking Lodge and Ski Shop
Reviewed September 14, 2012

The Viking Lodge is a great place to stay in Winter Park. It's convenient location makes it easy to enjoy the town. The rooms are small but there is a great community room and it's nice to meet some of your fellow travelers. I originally stayed here this past summer while attending a wedding in town. I didn't get much of a chance to experience the lodge but I'm going back this weekend and staying with them again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank vconley

Reviewed August 12, 2012

It's true about the location and value. You can't beat being walking distance to so many things. You can tell that the people that work here love what they do so it makes finding your way easy from dining to bike rentals and trails. My kids had a blast staying in the loft unit with the ladder. We had a mini-frig which was a surprise and wireless internet. No A/C, but it is so cool at night didn't miss it. Our dog was able to be with us too. Be sure to check out the t-shirt shop

Can't wait to stay again during the ski season. It will make our winter for sure!

Room Tip: Alpine rooms are quieter and have inside entrances
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Janet S
Reviewed February 19, 2012

The Viking lodge is one of the original classic lodges in Winter Park. We stayed there last year and it showed it's age and lack of attention and interest from the previous owner.

The present ownership took possession about the first of November. As you might imagine, they didn't have time to make the major changes I believe you will see in the future. The rooms are small and very clean, the towels are new and the staff and new owners are the best! The new owners are clearly committed to providing a a good guest experience and a great value.

We live in Colorado and have season passes at Winter Park. After our first stay this winter and having experienced the changes the new owners bring we prepaid ten nights to be used the rest of the season.

If you are looking for great value and committed owners, this is the place.

Jim and Cindy

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Cindy C
Reviewed January 16, 2012

The best thing about the Viking is the location - right in the village of Winter Park. The hotel is clean and as-advertised, which means the rooms are SMALL. Cozy, you might say. Very quiet. Bathrooms are a bit outdated, but for the price and location, this is really a good budget deal.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank W0rld_Wander_Lust
Reviewed January 10, 2012

Last minute my husband scheduled a trip out west. We booked with the Viking lodge. We arrived later in the evening and were able to check in with no problems. We entered our cozy little cabin like room. This place was perfect for us. We are not Snobby people and nit picky about things. We were happy with warmth, clean room, and hot water. The room was crowded (because of numerous beds) but it's a place to sleep not like we were going to sit in the room all day and look the walls. We explored the cute town- bars-restaurants (the library yummy food), shops.

The shuttle is right by the hotel. Great set up for shuttles. We did use the hot tub one night- clean nice-

The day we were to leave I had pre-booked our airport shuttle too late and we were to check out by 10:00am the viking allowed us to put our items in main lobby so we could shop until our airport shuttle arrived. Very accomodatin to us!!

Next trip we are bookin with the Viking. - remember if you are prissy probably not the place for you. So if you expect room service go else where. If you are lookin for warmth, hot water, a place to sleep, close to town book with the Viking.

Thank you!!!

• Stayed: December 2011
6  Thank Olsonhoyt
Reviewed January 6, 2012

This is a man cave. This is not for girly men. Be thankful You sleep in a warm room. You are reminded not to waste water by the variable temp water blast coming from the shower head,
You get dressed, and go eat as much high protein, high fat, high cholesterol breakfast/dinner as you can hold. Oh! Tip the Chef, too. Then, go outside with your gear and get on the shuttle. Tip the driver. GO SKIING! Then reverse the directions and stop whinning like a little girl.
There's even a frozen lake to swim in behind the place.
And who says there's no ski gear? I bought gloves, lost 'em and bought more the next day.
They waxed my skis.
What else do you need?
In fact, my little girl (5) is joining us next time. I'll bet she doesn't even whine like those darn Yankees. I want my mommy....
Lighten up.

Room Tip: Get the room by the oven so you can wake up to the smell of bacon. Yummy!
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank VanTheSnowballMan
Reviewed December 9, 2011

I just returned from my stay at the Viking and couldn't be happier.
(read to the end of this review!!) I booked 2 nights through the Winter Park CoC and received 2 lift tickets for free, great deal. Even without the free lift tickets it is a great deal for the weary skier/boarder.

My boyfriend and I left from Denver early in the am, hit the slopes and then arrived at the Viking around 4:30 pm. The location is great; a quick drive from the resort or an easy trip on the free shuttle. All of the bars, restaurants, and shops are literally across the street or a short walk down the main drag. Free parking!

The women behind the desk (Shannon) greeted us and informed us that we had a free upgrade from a queen to a king, awesome. The room was basic but clean and comfortable. Our room had a mini fridge which was great because we brought our own snacks and drinks to save money on the trip.

The hot tub was clean and always on when we needed it. The staff was very helpful with restaurant and happy hour suggestions.

Here is the best part: On the second day of our trip my boyfriend had an emergency at work and had to work from the hotel office on his laptop all day. We still had another night and day to ride but would of had to drive home right after. I wasn't happy but the town of Winter Park is cute enough and I brought a good book. After a few hours at a local coffee shop I came back to the room. In a few minutes my boyfriend came back for a snack break and seemed really excited. He told me that one of the staff had figured out he was doing "work" work and offered us a free night! The hotel wasn't busy but she didn't have to offer and it was totally unexpected. It ended up making our trip! We hit the mountain the next day knowing we didn't have to rush or worry about driving home at night.

I will be staying at the Viking Lodge again before this season is over; maybe in one of the suites? I will recommend it to my friends and I recommend it to you.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Zephyr Mountain Lodge
Zephyr Mountain Lodge
#2 of 25 in Winter Park
Americas Best Value Sundowner Motel

Been to The Viking Lodge and Ski Shop? Share your experiences!