“Personal touch makes the difference...”

The Viking Lodge and Ski Shop
Reviewed December 9, 2011

I just returned from my stay at the Viking and couldn't be happier.
(read to the end of this review!!) I booked 2 nights through the Winter Park CoC and received 2 lift tickets for free, great deal. Even without the free lift tickets it is a great deal for the weary skier/boarder.

My boyfriend and I left from Denver early in the am, hit the slopes and then arrived at the Viking around 4:30 pm. The location is great; a quick drive from the resort or an easy trip on the free shuttle. All of the bars, restaurants, and shops are literally across the street or a short walk down the main drag. Free parking!

The women behind the desk (Shannon) greeted us and informed us that we had a free upgrade from a queen to a king, awesome. The room was basic but clean and comfortable. Our room had a mini fridge which was great because we brought our own snacks and drinks to save money on the trip.

The hot tub was clean and always on when we needed it. The staff was very helpful with restaurant and happy hour suggestions.

Here is the best part: On the second day of our trip my boyfriend had an emergency at work and had to work from the hotel office on his laptop all day. We still had another night and day to ride but would of had to drive home right after. I wasn't happy but the town of Winter Park is cute enough and I brought a good book. After a few hours at a local coffee shop I came back to the room. In a few minutes my boyfriend came back for a snack break and seemed really excited. He told me that one of the staff had figured out he was doing "work" work and offered us a free night! The hotel wasn't busy but she didn't have to offer and it was totally unexpected. It ended up making our trip! We hit the mountain the next day knowing we didn't have to rush or worry about driving home at night.

I will be staying at the Viking Lodge again before this season is over; maybe in one of the suites? I will recommend it to my friends and I recommend it to you.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
8  Thank HannahRae15

Reviewed November 29, 2011

The hotel and the rooms are pretty old and run down, they should remodelate them. Also, when people walk on the floor upstairs they make a lot of noise, I could not sleep well.
Staff was nice and helpful. Be aware that they close at 8pm though.
Oh and the ski shop is not a true ski shop! they don't even have ski gear, we were disappointed.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Kitty70
VikingLodge, Owner at The Viking Lodge and Ski Shop, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2012

Thank you for taking time to review The Viking Lodge. Understandably the property is old, circa 1950's. On November 1st we became the new owners and we are working to update the rooms amenities. My appologies you weren't able to find what you needed in our ski shop, but we do have a large variety of gloves, helmets, apparel and casual wear. Since we purchased the property in November, we missed the cutoff date to order skis and ski boots. Hopefully next year.

Reviewed November 13, 2011

We had the pleasure of staying at the Viking this past weekend. This place isn’t for everyone, but if you want something different, cozy and a little eclectic, this is the place for you! It is located in downtown Winter Park, close to restaurants, bars and shopping (there is a ski shop and t-shirt shop on the premises too). It’s minutes from the ski resort, in fact there is a free shuttle that takes you to the ski resort! Even though you are in downtown Winter Park, when you walk through the doors of the Viking it’s like you are in a rustic cabin “Swiss chalet” style. I won’t candy coat it, it’s funky, it’s the 1950’s meets the 21st century. But that’s what we loved about it! We found out it’s under new management and they were more than happy to let us tour every room that was available to see. Every room has its own flavor. They have everything from an apartment style room with a full kitchen, .dining room, living room, loft and master bedroom to a “just the basics” room, that I understand rents for around $50. Every room has a little refrigerator, if it doesn’t have a kitchen. In the lobby there’s an area set up with a toaster, microwave and coffee maker so go for it, bring your bagels, oatmeal and left over pizza and enjoy sitting in their comfy cozy lobby.

We’ve stayed at Hiltons and Marriott’s and love those places too! But this was just something that felt like you were experiencing the real “ski town atmosphere”, I know that sounds a little corny but it really was kind of cool and retro at the same time. Does it need work? Yes. BUT I think the new management is the breath of fresh air it needs. They seem to truly LOVE the Winter Park area and know the area very well. This place is the right price, it’s clean, and it’s in a GREAT location. Those are just added amenities to the fun and eclectic place that it is! I’ve read some of the negative reviews and shame on them! With the “wonderful world of the web” they should’ve done their research and they would’ve realized this wasn’t the place for them. But they miraculously discovered the web to complain. Please feel free to email me if you have any questions.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
7  Thank lvenlf
Reviewed July 18, 2011

We just returned from a weekend at the Viking Lodge. Our group of 8 people fit comfortably into the Alpine Suite. It was a really cool loft/large apartment and for $150 a night with 8 people and a full kitchen ... how could you beat that? Let's be very clear, this is a place to crash out for the time you are in Winter Park. Our room was very clean, but it was more than dated and everything from the decore to the kitchen appliances was from the early 80's. The photo posted here on tripadvisor is a shot of the mini mall across the street from the hotel, so don't be shocked when you roll up. Overall, we were happy with our stay. There was free parking, amazing location and in the heart of downtown, and we were able to utilize the full kitchen to the max. There is not a swimming pool and the hot tub was a little questionable. My vote ... I would stay here again. Only next time, I would make sure to pack my leg warmers/neon pink ski onesie and just go with it!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank jessCO31
Reviewed April 7, 2011

We stayed three nights at the Viking Lodge. The first night we were in the Nordic Queen room. The room was very small but cozy. We only spent one night in that room as there was some problems with noise from a chimney flue or duct working or something?? that hindered a good night's sleep. We talked to management and they were very very accomodating. They moved us to another room. This room was much bigger, had a king bed and a mini fridge. Very nice! The whole place is old but very clean. There could be some cosmetic work done to the rooms/building but when you are going up to ski and don't plan on spending a lot of time in your room, this place is a good stay for the money. We utilized the outdoor hot tub once but never made it to the ping pong table.

This hotel is convenient to the Winter Park Ski Resort. Also, the Crooked Creek shopping center is right next to it. We ate at the Back Country Grill one night and The Bistro another night. Both were very good and across the street!

Room Tip: Avoid the Nordic Queen - Room 9
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 9, 2011

Thank you Thank you, Viking Lodge. Needed a place to rest my weary body, recouperate, then head back to the mountain.

After a night in the jacuzzi, sauna, refreshing shower, I slept like a baby, then headed back to the mountain for another day of punishment.

If you're looking for Ritz accommodations, stay @ the Ritz. If you're looking for value, cleanliness and great location, Viking Lodge is your place of choice!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank TheNatural1
Reviewed January 9, 2011

We had 4 beds for 4 of us...that was a big plus in choosing to stay at the lodge. The atmosphere is great, and the staff are top notch. With 2 beds upstairs in a loft, the size of the room left us more comfortable for space than the slightly larger hotel rooms we've used on previous ski trips at WP. There isn't enough space to eat in the room, but the office lounge is a good place to microwave sandwiches and munch a breakfast in front of a fireplace. Wifi for our laptop was good, but be sure to get the code before the office closes.

Things that would make the lodge nicer include:
- The beds have seen better years and were uncomfortable enough to interfere with sleeping. This was the biggest complaint from the kids--new beds are overdue
- A continental breakfast to go with the coffee/cocoa/tea would have been a nice perk
- Gameroom/Sauna and Microwave oven were sometimes locked too early (around 9 pm), which is the time when we wanted access
- Hot tub was adequate for 2 or 3 people, a bigger tub would be better
- Snow cleanup at 6 am was impossible to sleep through, but I doubt the city would make any change in their cleanup procedure
- Police across the street seemed to love playing with their sirens, but I doubt the cops would make any changes even if you offered them a box of donuts to quit testing their toys
- The loft has no power outlets, but we had a power cord. If you need power for games or phones, bring your own cord

Overall, I would have rated the lodge 4 (very good) if the the beds were not worn out. We'll consider coming to the lodge again next year, though an equal priced condo will probably win our vote due to the comfort concerns.

If you are looking for a Hilton type place, this isn't it. If you enjoy B&Bs, or lodging with personality, the Viking Lodge is a good place to try out.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
#3 of 25 in Winter Park
Iron Horse Resort
Iron Horse Resort
#6 of 25 in Winter Park

Been to The Viking Lodge and Ski Shop? Share your experiences!