“Warm, welcoming atmosphere where we felt like family"”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Winter Park
TimberHouse Ski Lodge
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Winter Park
Huntsville Alabama
“Warm, welcoming atmosphere where we felt like family"”
Reviewed March 21, 2010

Group of 35 from our ski club spent our spring break at TimberHouse. Very diverse group in ages (6-86) and skiiing abilities. Staff was fantastic - knew everyone's name and went out of their way to assist us - had a super talent show. Another large family group and several smaller groups were also there - filled to capacity. Outdoor hot tubs and a nice ski/sledding hill, ping pong and pool tables plus a large assortment of games and puzzles and an evening movie kept everyone entertained. Lack of TV provided a nice escape. This was our second stay at TimberHouse and we will definitely go again. Love the atmosphere!

• Stayed March 2010
2 Thank ShastaDaisy05

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Pensacola, FL
Reviewed February 9, 2010

My wife, two children, and I had the pleasure of staying for a week at Timberhouse Lodge. This was our first stay at Timberhouse, which seems to be a "rare" thing as most of the other guests have been staying at Timberhouse for two and sometimes three generations. Yes, we are talking 30 to 40 years of coming to Winter Park and staying at the SAME LODGE EACH YEAR. If that is not enough to convince you to give this place a try, I do not know what will. It has a charm and a traditional feel that is truly unique. Built in the 1940's and run for many years by the Timmerhause family (German), there are German writings and sayings throughout the lodge. We felt like we were nestled in a European Lodge the entire week. Now run by Todd Waldren (2nd generation Waldren owner) it was evident that he and the staff strive to give returning families the same care and service that they have built a lifetime of memories on while at Winter Park. The staff are mainly college age kids who work at the Lodge and ski/board whenever possible. They were all extremely bright, friendly, and waited on us hand and foot. The food was excellent and my kids loved the ice cream sundaes for dessert. Just having the luxury of returning from the slopes, laying in the hot-tub, and then having dinner served without having to go out at night is reason enough to stay here. But Timberhouse is so much more!!! I enjoyed a week with my wife and kids (who are growing up way too fast) without the distractions of the internet or television. Yes, the movies at Timberhouse are GREAT! We all enjoyed the pool table and ping-pong table in the basement. The only negative is the train, which passes through the Village at Winter Park at night. Thus, Timberhouse is one of many lodges/hotels in the area who cannot escape this reality. But, earplugs worked well. Do not stay here if you like the party scene or want modern furnishings and decorations. You wil be disappointed! Otherwise, like Master Card...a week with family at Timberhouse Lodge is PRICELESS!!!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank bowhuntr
Colorado
Reviewed February 8, 2010

Something was very odd about this entire set up. It is dark as a dungeon. The average age of clientele older than 60. The no cell phones, no tv, no music is supposed to harken back to the old ski lodges of Europe....but it just feels stifling and dreary. And, most of all, the staff looked scared to death of the owner. One of them mentioned he usually fires them before the end of the season in order to not have to pay them their tips.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
7 Thank foodoc
beetlelogger, Owner at TimberHouse Ski Lodge, responded to this review, October 29, 2010
It is to bad that this recent employee missed the opportunity that the Timberhouse promotes.
This person was excused for drugs while working and we highly discourage this in our family atmosphere.
Burlington, WA
Reviewed December 20, 2009

I booked the Timberhouse Lodge for a solo ski trip. It was my 60th birthday and all of my family was busying with school, work and other travel. I have never skied at Winter Park and I knew that only 1/3 of the terrain would be open. This really didn't matter. It just made me want to return to ski the whole mountain.

The Timberhouse was a perfect choice for my celebration. Todd and staff were attentive, courteous and willing to go out of their way. Todd took me into town shortly after my arrival. I had forgotten some much needed items and he had some errands to do. The "lift" bus service was a quick way back to the lodge.

The first evening at dinner I was invited to ski with two other guests. They knew the area and skiing with them was much better than my planned self guided tour. The long tables for meals and the cozy lounge are perfect for conversations and meeting fellow skiers.

My birthday dinner ended with a surprise cake and candles. My daughter had called Todd and he went to town again to purchase a bottle of wine for our evening enjoyment.

The trains are close but a pair of earplugs solved the problem quite nicely. The meals were filling with seconds offered to anyone that needed more. Everyone on the staff, the fellow guests and owner made this a very memorable birthday. I will return but wouldn't stay anywhere else in Winter Park.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank drrick76
Pekin,Illinois
Reviewed April 9, 2009

I have stayed at the Timberhouse at least 15 years. I go every year with friends. The people at Timberhouse go out of thier way for everyone that stays there. The food is awesome! We always meet wonderful people there. You can ski back to the lodge or catch the Timber House van. Everything is conveniet.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank Runner266
sioux city, iowa
Reviewed January 27, 2009

My wife and I stayed at the TimberHouse for 7 days and once again we completely enjoyed and what's not to like. This is an old style lodge and does not pretend to be anything else. Excellent family style breakfasts and dinners are served with great service by the staff. Movies are shown at night but that is not the best part of it. You get ski in service for off mountain prices. A free ride to and from the mountain is available but take the Billy Woods trail at the end of the day and you will have an extra story to tell when you get back home. We have been staying at the T-House for over 25 years and two generations of owners. Through the years we have tried others but now we just stay at the T-House when we use our season passes. A caveat to all: If you need a t.v. or a phone in your room you won't get it. This is an old style family oriented lodge and very low key. Pool tables, table tennis and reading take precedence over partying. Our routine; eat, ski, talk to other guests, eat and then sleep. Play it again the next day and it makes for a greate ski vacation.

• Liked — the service, food and location
  • Disliked — two miles from town but the shuttle is only 100 yards away.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank loesshawk
chicago
Reviewed December 8, 2008

Well first off this is no Hotel. I've been staying at the Timberhouse for a run of three consecutive years that would be including this upcoming year in 2009. The thing that sets this place apart from other resorts, hotels, lodging is its commitment to serving and hospitality. I'm constatnly overwhelmed by the treatment of the staff and the owner/driver/cook. They go beyond making me feel welcomed to allowing me to feel like its my own get away place. Its the most convienent trip(s) I've ever made. A small picture of my day here is I wake up look at the incredible view of the rockies, journey down to the lounge area (in my PJ's usually) where I talk with other guest and share coffee as we wait for breakfast to be served. Then we eat breakfast which includes hot or cold cereal, a small glass of orange juice, then a nice warm breakfast (french toast w/ sausage). Then I head off to my room to change and get down to the ski room where my skies & boots are and I jump into the van that escorts you less than a 1/4 mile or so to the ski resort and we get dropped off at the base. What sets this place apart is I can ski home, literally to the front door which is a great feeling not having to wait for a bus and lug around my gear, or pole three hundred yards to the front door. Its all downhill on this trail called "Billy Woods" a hidden trail that is as adventerous as it sounds. After a long day of skiing I can't wait to get into the hot tub(s) here, while the staff have a fire going in the lounge/ living room area with tea and a treat. Then I take a quick power nap and its off to dinner where again its a multi-course meal which I've never been told no to more helpings. It starts with a soup and salad, the meal which can be salmon, rice, asparagas w/ a dill sauce or roast beef with mash potatoes, and corn and every meal I had came with dinner rolls. Not to mention a desert and coffee, or tea. Then a movie is shown which in most cases is a Warren Miller Ski movie, but I've been there when the staff opens up their collection to watch a movie of good heart. And when I say a movie I mean a movie they have a giant screen and big living room for all. By this point I'm ready for bed which some have already taken too. And that is a day at Timberhouse no getting into cars to drive around, no decisions to make, no TV's in rooms to distract you. This is a great quite get away where books become available to read and peace and quiet surround you. The place is old so there is occasionally a floor squeaking or maybe you hear someone the room over, but it hasn't hindered my sleep or peace. I'm a fairly young guy so I can't tell you why this place appeals to me so much other than to say that its a quite little get away and everything is done for me already including the billing. I can get cheaper lift tickets through the lodge and free internet. In a world where hotels like Marriott will attempt to charge you $14.95plus tax to use their internet, the Timberhouse will openly allow you access to check weather updates, emails, and what have you. All in all, these trips out here are stress free and so relaxing and the ski resort itself is fabulous and the snow says it all. Enjoy your travels everyone.

• Liked — service and cleanliness
  • Disliked — unfair to say, but room size then again I was only in my room to sleep
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank ikelove