“Charming Rocky Mountian Style”

Lion's Gate Pine Lodge
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Winter Park
Lion's Gate Pine Lodge
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Lion's Gate Pine Lodge was a charming resort with easy access to the mountains. We enjoyed hiking, biking and wildlife viewing. The rooms were cozy and clean. Yes, the train runs through the town - not a problem for me and it did not wake me up. We stayed five nights and had a great time.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Lori G
There are newer reviews for Lion's Gate Pine Lodge

Reviewed April 23, 2012

We stayed for one week on the side of the building facing the train tracks (mentioned by everyone else). Never got woken up by it and really didn't find it to be that loud at all, even during the day when trains are more frequent. One of the toilets got backed up, but they fixed it within 15 minutes (probably because we stayed at an off-peak time). They change towels on Tuesdays, but otherwise it's up to you for cleaning. There are also some travel-size toiletries provided (shampoo, conditioner, lotion). The living room furniture also seemed to be fairly new, comfy couches for after the slopes. Overall it exceeded my expectations (though they were pretty low given some of the reviews on here). Certainly not 5 star accommodation, but also not nearly as bad some reviews suggest.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank TnnsBrvs
Reviewed November 28, 2011

My biggest complaint was the age of the building, and that it has very thin walls. The resort was pretty full and kids were running around all the time. The train is an issue, but if you are going to stay in Winter Park, the train tracks runs all along the west side of US-40, or Main Street. We stayed one hall way away from the tracks and the passing train woke everyone in our unit at least once.

The resort itself is nice. Good hot tub (2 actually), working outdoor pool in the dead of winter, sauna, and the kids loved the rec room, which had a pool table, ping pong, fussball, and air hockey. The kitchen is better stocked with cooking utensils than any other resort I have stayed at. Gas fireplace was a great bonus. As others have mentioned, the location is great.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank lib88
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 27, 2011

Nice furniture and decent location...BUT limited parking in dirt and gravel lot. Had to climb 3 flights of stairs with heavy luggage and supplies...Trains with whistles come by about avery 30 minutes at night (like midnight on) toilet broke...they wanted us to clean up the carpet, etc...we told them they could it. Broke again later that night...Chip, the after hours guy,had to be called twice - he asked if we couldn;t wait until morning. Stairs and floors creaked, only 1 tv for 6 of us...pool did not work and the gas fireplaces could not be used...Fitness center was 2 miles away...no one to help on premises..had to go several blocks to a storefront. Try another place....I would NOT go here!!!

Room Tip: Try another hotel
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 19, 2010

Best place to y if your ever in winter park, also easy access to the alpine slide( just down the road)

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank jerm1390
Reviewed March 12, 2010

i like that it was close enough to main st. to go for a walk w/ a stroller, the people were pleasant, the room was just fine, & if there was a train, i didnt really notice it. i like how close the room was to the pool, i loved the hot tub room. im going to look into purchasing a time share there because my family & i had a good time.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
4  Thank deirdre2833
Reviewed February 5, 2010

My parents have a timeshare condo here that they get for 1 week every year (same week every year) and they've had it since before I was born (they probably bought into the timeshare in about 1980 or so). We've gone up almost every year for at least the weekend, though usually not much more than that. I have always enjoyed it. It isn't the nicest place, but it's comfortable - they updated the living room furniture a couple of years ago ('07 or '08, I think) which definitely made it look a bit homier and less outdated.

They have a game room, which my brother and I used to use constantly, but I haven't been in it for a few years. The hot tubs and pool are great - outdoor pool, so make sure to cover it up when you're done! - but I don't like saunas so I can't tell you how it is. They didn't used to have a DVD player but they added one about 5 years ago (they do at least attempt to stay up-to-date) and while the TV isn't massive and flat-panel, it does the job, so we enjoy watching movies in the comfy couches next to the fireplace :). One of our favorite things is pulling out board games/cards & playing on the dining room table - this is the perfect atmosphere for that!

I saw lots of complaints about train noise - that must be just on certain sides of the building, because it really surprised me! I have NEVER noticed a train while staying there - maybe I heard it and didn't register it, but it has certainly never been enough to bother me! We have an inside room (balcony to the pool), so maybe that makes a difference.

This is definitely a good place for families with kids and young teens as well as travelers who aren't picky about lodging - when we go elsewhere with friends we like to find places with nice entertainment centers and that are fairly up-to-date, bu

• Stayed: February 2009