“Worst restaurant meal ---ever.”
Review of Strip & Tail

Strip & Tail
Ranked #33 of 73 Restaurants in Winter Park
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Worst restaurant meal ---ever.”
Reviewed February 27, 2014

We should have checked reviews first. They have a terrific atmosphere, rustic and homey locale, but the food was just plain awful. Gordon Ramsey would have a field day here! Shrimp cocktail was 6 large, very overcooked shrimp with barely a tablespoon of cocktail sauce in the bottom of the glass.. Pizza Hut has a better salad bar. The quality of food is very poor. I accidentally ordered the prime rib and my husband ordered buffalo ribeye. The prime rib cut was undercooked, but it didn't really matter. Trying to chew it was like chewing shoe leather. There was only about 3-4 oz of edible meat in a huge slab of meat comprised mostly of fat. ick. The loaded backed potatoe was served with just a glob of sour cream and melted cheese from an oven. The creamy spinach appeared to be wilted spinach in a cup with half and half. The buffalo ribeye was only marginally better. I credit them for refunding 50% of the prime rib dinner. But at the price point they charge, there is a huge disconnect with quality food. Our server was nice enough, but nothing special. We will never eat here again.

• Visited February 2014

Atlanta, Ga
“Steak on a string”
Reviewed February 20, 2014

After 4 years of skiing at Winter Park and ignoring all the bad reviews we decided to try the Strip and Tail. A lesson learned, don't ignore the bad reviews. I let my son try my steak after I couldn't chew any more. His comment is the title of this review. He said it was like steak on a string, after chewing all he could of the meat it was as if a piece of string was left in his mouth. I wouldn't recommend this restaurant to anyone who still had operating tastebuds.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank RobinsRatings
Golden, Colorado
“Terrible service and food”
Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

We were happy to get Into this restaurant for dinner after a long day of skiing and a failed attempt to get into Deno's. The menu looked good and there was a guy singing and playing guitar to a happy crowd. Sadly, he was the best part of our experience at Strip & Tail. Our waitress, Vicky definitely wasn't winning any awards for good service. We ordered a buffalo steak and added on a lobster tail, a strip loin that promises to be the best steak I have ever eaten (big claim), a kid's fish and chips (which my son said tasted weird - and he really likes it usually) and a kid's cheeseburger and fries. The cheeseburger turned out to be the best meal @ just over $6. My steak was supposed to be cooked medium and it was very rare after I ate what I could, I asked my waitress to bring it back and cook it some more. She happened to be at our table giving us our bill! She didn't ask us if we wanted more drinks, any dessert or if anything else was needed - just giving us the bill. She took my steak and when she brought it back to me only a portion of the meat I gave her was there??? Granted, about a quarter of the original steak I removed because it was fat. I cut into the re-cooked steak and it was just as bloody. I didn't eat more than 1/3 of my $32 steak and was not even offered more than a rushed apology from the waitress. The singer was great and had the really drunk people at the bar buying shots for random tables and dancing around so that they were in the way of all the staff. Doesn't make for a nice dinner with my family. We will not recommend or go back.

Visited January 2014
Denver, Colorado, United States
“Great food and atmosphere”
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Great food and service. Great live entertainment on Saturday nights (I haven't been there on other nights). 8 oz Sirloin is good value and least expensive steak on the menu at $16. It's a ski resort restaurant so of course prices tend to be higher. Cooked medium is warm red/pink center as expected, for thicker steaks like the sirloin and filet. Dinners come with salad bar, potato or rice, and vegetable. Jalapeño pineapple muffins are unique and tasty. Nice wine list, good variety of wines by the glass outside of the usual merlot and cab - including Malbec, Shiraz, Zinfandel and blends.

• Visited January 2014
Denver, Colorado
“Good steak place with some exotic meats”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

We recently tried the Steak & Tail in Winter Park. Normally, we don't go out for steak, but we thought we'd give this place a try. They did a reasonable job on our meal, but I overheard people at the next table having to send back two different plates of food.

We saw that there were several items on the menu that looked interesting (such as the elk or the Kobe beef), but thought we'd stick with the steak figuring that if they didn't get the steak right, then we'd save some money on the other items.

While I would say that this was a good steak place, it does seem a bit overpriced. Granted, it's in the mountains, so it will cost more.

• Visited January 2014