All reviewsacross the streetsmall pool and hot tubpackaged pastriescoffee makerbed was very comfortableski resortbus stopfree breakfasta great place to stayfridgeparkwintercleanlinesstedwphostspet
Reviewed March 19, 2007

Every year I go to Winter Park I find a unique type of people that the rest of America may be lacking; that is to say a very respectful and welcoming group of locals. However, there is always an exception to a generalization. In this case the exception is the staff at the Sundowner Hotel in Winter Park. The price of the rooms reflect the attitude of the hotel staff. If you plan a spring skiing trip be ready to be subjected to an array of verbal assualt from hotel cleaning staff stemming from inherent consequences of warming temperatures. That is to say if you have the slightest amount of dirt or mud on your boots after walking through the muddy parking lots at winter park after snow mets, then be ready to be harrassed in your room by hotel staff. I had a member of hotel staff knock on my door and subject me to a 5 min. degrading verbal assualt about how she ASSUMED that I inconvienced her by tracking mud on the outside stairs of this complex. In her exact words, "You have caused me to take longer than five min. per room and stairs to clean." If you are prepared to take heated lashings from disrespectful staff members then this is a great hotel. The rest of my stay was acceptable, except the internet service. This "high speed" service costs 14.95 for a weeks use. Be prepared for the internet service to not work for several days; as it did on my trip. Then once it does work, do not expect high speeds.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank m4carbine
Reviewed February 18, 2007

Your typical 2 star motel. For $77 night high season, you really won't be dissapointed.
The motel is family owned, and they keep their rooms very clean (no tub mildew, no stains on linens or carpet).

The location is right in the middle of town, within walking distance to many restaurants.

The only downside to staying here for me was the rooms were a little drafty, but the heater was quite capable, and our room was by the stairs on 2nd floor, so we could hear everyone come clomping up the stairs every night.

Bottom line: If you don't want to spend a fortune, stay here, and ask for a room away from the stairs.

Stayed: February 2007
6  Thank maxfly
Reviewed October 14, 2006

The motel remains one of the best values in Winter Park. We strolled in one evening, off season at the end of September and had no trouble landing a room for a real bargain rate. The grandfatherly owner hardly flinched when 2 guys showed up asking for a room with one bed.
This place is absolutely spotless, vintage 70's all the way, so if you are adverse to the aesthetic, I'd recommend looking elsewhere. Baths are tiny, with tub/showers that have been retrofitted to give a slightly updated look. The smallish indoor pool and hot tub are clean and adequate- we had the place to ourselves.
This is a no frills place and the bargain price required a flight of stairs, which was no problem for us. The only downside was the very hard bed in our room. Notice that I didn’t say FIRM, I said HARD, which until this trip is how I would have described my mattress preference- not after one not-so-good night of sleep. If this isn’t something you can tolerate, I’d ask if there were other mattress options on the property since I would hate to dissuade anyone from staying here. Train noise is also an issue in Winter Park in general. I assumed the tracks were right behind the hotel due to the horns and only discovered the next morning that the track are actually behind the properties ACROSS the street- glad we didn’t grab one of them.
Breakfast not being available at the property didn’t prove to be a hardship as there are a few very good breakfast places within walking distance. Dinner options abound, but from our experience, the restaurant food quality and variety in town didn’t really cut it, although the very friendly staff at the Italian restaurant we visited work hard to overcome their deficiencies with genuine hospitality. Overall a cute town in a lovely setting and highly recommended for the budget traveler.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
6  Thank SteveDesign
Reviewed March 27, 2006

I've stayed at the Sundowner a couple times – since before they built their new wing and pool – and it's only gotten better. The family that runs it is very nice. You can walk to all the restaurants in town and stumble home from the bars. I've stayed at the Iron Horse, but would rather save the money to gorge on gumbo at Fontenot's. You could actually get by without a car here and just take Home James from the airport.

• Stayed: March 2006
9  Thank brianbaroo
Reviewed February 20, 2006

The Sundowner Motel was GREAT! Can't beat the price. Don't expect the same amenities that you get at the Ritz, but for less than $100 a night, it's well worth it! Right across the street from the free winter shuttle...and only 5-10 minutes from the slopes, you can't beat the location either. Clean, nice rooms...nice indoor pool and hot tub, too. Highly recommended...we'll definitely come here again.

• Stayed: February 2006