All reviews across the street small pool and hot tub packaged pastries coffee maker bed was very comfortable ski resort bus stop free breakfast a great place to stay fridge park winter cleanliness ted wp hosts pet
Reviewed January 10, 2014

I had a great time at Winter Park and the Sundowner is the perfect place to stay if you are staying in town. I had a queen room. It is not large but was perfect for me. It had everything I needed and then some. It was clean and well lit, had a table and chairs, a desk, a microwave, fridge, plenty of room at the sink/bath areas. There was lots of quick hot water. The Sundowner has a pool and spa; I visited the hot tub each night. It does not offer a continental breakfast, but if you know this ahead of time you can plan accordingly. It is located right across the street from the shuttle bus stop to the mountain. it isn't the hotel's fault, but the shuttles don't seem to run frequently enough. I did find this inconvenient while carrying all my equipment. About two doors down is a great restaurant that I visited three evenings, Deno's Bistro. There is also a Subway close by. I would recommend the Sundowner.

Room Tip: I had a queen room on the ground level.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed December 22, 2013

The Sundowner offers exactly what I expect from a motel: excellent location in the heart of downtown, definitely clean rooms, friendly staff and very good rates. I spent at the end of september 2013 4 nights in two different rooms both located at the second floor and I have to admit that my stay was better than expected. Whenever it is possible I try to stay on a budget without giving up what I consider to be the basic comforts and the America Best Value Inn allowed me to do it. Beside the cleanliness my rooms offered plenty of space, fridge, microwave and coffee maker, exactly what I was needing. Despite I didn't use it I was surprised to find a large covered heated swimming pool, a rare treat in this motel range. Guests in the morning are offered a basic breakfast in the lobby offering coffee, juices and pastries. The only flaw I can mention is that the wi fi connection wasn't always working well. I have no doubt that the Sundowner will be my first choice when back to Winter Park. Would I recommend it? Definitely YES.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 11, 2013

We had to leave our vacation lodge on the Big Thompson near Estes Park due to the flash flooding. Drove out over the mountains and ended up in Winter Park where we had to wing it for a room. The hotel is older but is well-maintained, clean and comfortable - not a Hilton or Marriot but for 59 dollars you couldn't beat the price. We had breakfast in town so can't comment on that.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 18, 2013

As the name suggests, this did turn out to be a good value Hotel. We chose this hotel for it's location near the Rocky Mountains/Estes Park. The town is scenic and peaceful with good cool weather in the summer - when we visited. The hotel rooms were very well thought out and it had microwave and refrigerator (see photos). There is a hotel swimming poo but it appeared to have been covered over (maybe for maintenance). Rooms were clean and updated. Would surely stay hear again and recommended for family too.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 22, 2013

We had to leave our comfortable hotel in Estes Park in a hurry due to flash flooding. Decided to move on to Winter Park but we were not able to check TripAdvisor ratings for hotels there so just had to wing it. We asked to see the room before we checked in and the owner very graciously showed us the room and explained things to us. The hotel is older but is well-maintained, clean and comfortable. We paid for a two-night stay but after the first night decided to move on to Western Colorado because the weather just wasn't very good where we were. The owner refunded the charge for the second night's stay with a smile on his face and wished us well in our travels. You just don't get that kind of service with the big chain hotels.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple