“The phone conversation determined that I wasn't going to stay here.”

Winter Park Mountain Lodge
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Winter Park
Reviewed April 16, 2014

The gentleman whom answered the phone was very rude and short. I had a couple of questions and if he would have responded in a professional manner of wanting business I would have booked a room. Don't think I will every consider this place. This is where 1st impressions even over the phone can break the deal.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Lizzie-Luvs2Travel

Reviewed April 11, 2014

We knew going in from all the reviews that this was not a 5 star resort. It was one of two choices in our package deal with the Vintage being the other. Next time I would pick the Vintage. It's walkable to lifts and there is a cabriolet that takes you into the Village. There is a bus that picks you up right at the front door of the WPML which wasn't too bad. Drops you off right at the lifts once you figure out how the bus system works. Ask the drivers, they love to talk. Kudos to Sue, she was great! Our room was ok, my daughter found two dead flies the minute we walked in so I take it the maid forgot to vacuum that day. The view of the mountain was nice. Shower was clean, wish they would have some exhaust fans in the bathrooms and the toilets have no seat covers which I thought was odd. Beds were good. The heater was very loud and would only come on for less than a minutes and go off again. This woke me up a bunch of times during the night. Room had a little fridge which helped out a lot. No microwave, that would have been nice to have. Rented out equipment from Ski4Less which is located in the lobby. Very convenient. People were helpful and the price was right. The nice thing is they only charge you for the days you actually ski and they go by the honor system. Works out nice if you want to take a day or two off during the week. Lodge staff was very nice at the front desk. Everyone answered our questions and had many suggestions. Didn't eat at the lodge so I can't comment on that. Couple of suggestions I would make for food. Goodies in the Village - kids loved this place. Crepes were amazing. Pizza Pedal'r in the Village. If your looking for a cheaper dinner and believe me you will be. Great pizza. Make sure you bring the kids in to watch them flipped the dough. Mountain Grind Coffee & Bistro in Cooper Creek Square. You have to go to this place for breakfast. Food was great people were fantastic. The bus will drop you off right there if you don't want to drive. They even have fudge and gelato.
I'm only giving the WPML a 3 because the pool was cold and one of the hot tubs was not working, so the one that was, was always filled up. If that had been working I may have given a 4. The cookies and snacks that they hand out at the front desk everyday helps too. All in all not a horrible place but given a choice I would go somewhere else next time.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 4, 2014

We had a rare family vacation scheduled and chose this hotel because of the price and location - unfortunately the very rude service and dirty rooms and pool proved not to be worth the savings -
Sorry to have to leave such a poor review - we actually got married at this hotel seven years earlier! Boy has it gone downhill!!!

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank Gintaj
Reviewed March 29, 2014

We just returned from a stay at the Mountain Lodge and found the accommodations perfectly fine. I'm not sure if we were lucky or if management has been reading these reviews and addressing the concerns expressed. Our unit was clean, the beds very comfortable and the only smell was that emanating from the restaurant and it was an honest to goodness food smell. We were accommodated with an early check in and a shuttle to the Amtrak station---all by the very helpful staff.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 26, 2014 via mobile

My family of 5 stayed here for 4 nights. We had a forest view 2 queen room with a rollaway. After I booked the room I kept reading reviews and was thinking I should change hotels. Glad I didn't! This place was great and more than I expected. A lot more room than your typical hotel room. Brought rollaway in and didn't even have to move furniture around. There was a fridge in room. We were on the 5th floor and never had to wait long for elevator. In fact we only ran into other people on it maybe twice. I was expecting a run down old looking place. Not the case. We took the kids to pool one day. It was a lot bigger than I expected. Loved sitting there watching the snow come down. We tried the restraint for lunch. It was typical hotel food. We walked over to bar area (very nice) and let the kids play pool and other games in there. Everyone was very nice. Loved that they brewed beer there. There was a small arcade on the other side of bar. We really enjoyed our stay here! Don't hesitate to book. Not sure what other people are complaining about.

Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank Julie F
Reviewed March 3, 2014

This was the first thing out of our mouth when the elevator door opened on our floor. It was the smell of curry and dog feces/cat food (not sure which) that permeated the hallway and our room. We figured out that the smell was coming from a meeting room that was connected to the Moffat Station Restaurant on the same floor as ours. This was the second negative experience that we had within the five minutes of being at the Winter Park Mountain Lodge. The first was when we entered the front door, I was not greeted by a courteous clerk, welcoming me to the lodge. Instead I was met with a young woman behind the desk that looks up long enough to say,"What's up?" Fast forward to entering our room. The room was clean, as far as I could tell. I get the ice bucket and proceed to the ice machine that I had passed in the hallway. The ice machine was broken. I go back to my room and call Ms. "What's up" at the front desk. She tells me, "Yeah, the ice machine on that floor has been broken for several weeks, but there is another machine on every floor. I go to level three to use that ice machine. It spits out three or four cubes and quits. (sigh)...Onto level four. I got lucky and it filled the bucket halfway before quitting as well. Later, when we decide to get something to eat, we decided to give the Moffat Station grill a chance. I was surprisingly impressed with the overall look and feel of the restaurant. The nut brown ale was decent and the burger was good. The only downside was that the bartender had to run the bar, take the orders of all customers at the tables, wait on everyone at the tables, refill drinks, bring out the food, bus the tables, and cashier all customers. He was a "one man band" and he did it surprisingly well, the poor guy. The next morning we could not get out of there fast enough. I WILL NEVER BE BACK to this sorry excuse of a hotel. Don't be fooled by the online pictures of Winter Park Mountain Lodge! The next time I go to Winter Park Resort, I will gladly pay double the price to stay across the street!

Room Tip: There isn't one. Stay at the Zephyr.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Michael O
Reviewed February 22, 2014

I have been here since Thursday and I am disappointed about the rooms and service. The mountain view is beautiful but... The bathroom need a make over, more than that, the toilet is horrible. One of the beds has the bed frame displaced and we keep hurting when we walk around bed. The TV is old fashion and they DO NOT have dryers! What?! This is where the costumer service come dycotomic, it depends who you ask, you can get a very nice person or rude one. How many stars this hotel is anyway? DO NOT even try the restaurant here for dinner, it will take for ever and they end up telling you that they do not have what you requested.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
#3 of 25 in Winter Park
Valley Hi Motel
Valley Hi Motel
#5 of 14 in Winter Park

Been to Winter Park Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!