“Clean and Reasonable, but not upscale or convenient”

Winter Park Mountain Lodge
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Winter Park
Reviewed July 5, 2011

Mountain Lodge is easy to get too and very reasonable in Winter Park terms, but it's difficult to get to the village from this hotel. It's across I-40 from the main Village and there is no underground tunnel (hey, WP Resorts...you need to do this) so you have to walk down on main I-40 to stoplight and cross. Rooms were clean and staff was friendly. Also, we paid an extra $10 to be on the mountain side, which you do see the mountain, but you also listen to road noise all night. When in the mountains, we prefer to sleep with the windows open, but it did get rather noisy. Lastly, I made the reservations for both couples and asked that we would be near each other. Reservations told me we were on the same level, but a few doors from each other. Unfortunately, we weren't even on the same level and we didn't check in together so we weren't able to catch it.
Would I go back? Sure, if I need a cheap, clean place to stay and I didn't have to haul ski stuff to the mountain.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 3, 2011

First stayed here in 2006, and didn't think twice about coming back to stay again. The rooms are really nice, always clean, and the staff friendly and helpful. The facilities there are as good as anywhere. Had spectacular views from our room. The restaurant is also really good, does really enjoyable food with a good selection, Have been back to winter park 5 times and always make sure we stop in at the restaurant wherever we stay.
The snow mobile tours that run out of the back of the hotel are also a huge bonus, Although can be used if your not staying here, I throughly recommend booking a trip.
Whilst beth the ski resort and the main town are only really accessible by the shuttle buses, during the winter, unless of course you have a car. The shuttles are very reliable and run all day, so it doesn't really become an issue!
I would recommend for anyone to stay here, and would definitely go again if we can.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank hayleykh
Reviewed April 2, 2011

I had read the reviews on trip advisor before selecting this hotel for my holiday. I was nervous to say the least about all the reviews on the condition of the hotel, location, etc. But in the end we chose the hotel based on the price and hoped for the best.

I am really pleased that we stuck with the hotel as my experience couldn't have been better:
- location of the hotel was close to slopes and the bus transfer wasn't too bad (usually every 20 mins)
- hotel rooms were a good size (we were on on the 1st floor, facing the back garage)
- we were on a half board package and the evening food at the brewery was a good selection
- staff were very friendly & helpful. A special mention in particular to Sarah & Chum who run the morning breakfast service, they were always welcoming and cheery, making breakfast enjoyable and updating us on the weather & local news.

We had a great holiday in Winter Parks and would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank snowboarder155
Reviewed April 2, 2011

This is a $39 a night place. The door jamb was bent from being kicked in, so the door couldn't be locked. The room was beat up, threads hanging from chair, beds old with no support, just plan worn out.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Mick M
Reviewed March 29, 2011

Every aspect of the Mountain Lodge provided full value for the money. The staff were friendly, knowledgable, helpful and pleasant including the resaurant staff. The room was large, clean and had all the anticpated amenities. Beds were large clean and comfortable. The view and housekeeping staff made time in the room pleasant. The location was excellent, quiet and frequent door to door shuttles made getting around easier than so called "ski-in/ski-out" sites that require walking with all gear through the village. For the money I would recommend this property to anyone interested in skiing. If you want to be "seen" go to Aspen or Gstaad!
Also, the on site ski/rental shop is excellent!!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank davhargood
Reviewed March 8, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Winter Park Mountain Lodge for 4 nights in the end of Feb.2011. we traveled with another couple and stayed in different rooms. Our friends paid for a single king bed on the back side and instead, got a mountain side room.... with two small beds! When she asked about this, the staff member did not offer to give them a different room, she was just told that the price was just few dollars different. So, they had to sleep in separate beds. On top of that, the remote for the tv did no work either. Moving on to my wife and my room. We did get the correct room, however it was on the end of a hall and on multiple occasions, people were smoking marijuana in the stairwell right outside of our door! It smelled so strong that we had to get under the covers to breathe! We opened our window when we got there and it would not close, we had to remove the screen and pull it shut.
When we booked the room several months ago, my wife was told that one of the two hot tubs was down "for maintenance". It was just broken, not being maintained. On top of that, it had 6-8" of brown dirty water in it and HUGE thick chunks of dried deposits in and on it. It was disgusting! The least they could have done is drain it or cover it! The one tub that was working was only working part of the time. At times it was nearly cold until several people conplained. The restaurant was over priced, and moderate quality at best. The brewery was not working, Breakfast was $12.95, and there was no option for a free breakfast with a night stay, not even cereal! the beautiful pictures that are shown of the dining room are misleading, The large section of the dining area in which you will most likely be sitting, looks like an old village inn. The "game room" is a pay-per-game pool table and a couple of arcade games. The workout room was even worse. Two pieces of dirty and worn equipment. This place represents itself as a high class resort, it is hardly that.
The rental place in the hotel was great. the guys in there were quick and fun to talk to. No complaints there.
I will not be staying here ever again. If I return to Winter Park I will be staying down the street at the Best Western.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank matt7138
Reviewed March 1, 2011

I booked this hotel through Expedia and got a great deal - £56 between two of us for a kingsize bedroom with a mountain view. We ended up being put into a suite, which was an added bonus.

The room itself was huge, as was the bed. Lots of storage space, a decent size TV with loads of (free) channels. Once side of the room was just windows (floor to ceiling) which meant that we had great, stunning views of the mountains. Really impressive. There was a table and two chairs by the window which meant that we could sit and admire the scenery. The decor of the room fits in with Winter Park and is quite relaxed. It is not very modern (swirly bedspread etc).

There were coffee/tea making facilities in the room. There was a heater and the room didn't feel cold at all. The bathroom had a whirlpool bath, but is only big enough for 1 person at a time. Shower was good, always hot water. There was shampoo, showergel, towels and a hairdryer in there too.

We were on the 4th floor and the whole floor was full with children on what appeared to be a school trip. The receptionist said that if we had any problems they would move us. We were a bit apprehensive as they were quite noisy when we walked past, but once in our room we didn't hear anything.

The hotel has vending machines (ice, drinks) on each floor. The restaurant in the hotel (1st floor) does breakfast - 2 options, hot buffet or cold buffet. We had the cold one for something like $8 each. That got us unlimited muffins, yoghurt, juice, fruit, cereal, bagels..not the best breakfast ever, but it was alright. Friendly waitress. It also does dinner - highly recommend the pizza - it was huge and really cheap!! We also had the unlimited salad bar, but I wouldn't recommend this as the choice was small and it wasn't the greatest. We went to the hotel bar (1st floor) in the evenings and the atmosphere was nice - always busy, but not manic. Pool table and a few TVs. Friendly bar staff, cheap, nice beer. We didn't use the pool or gym so I can't comment on that. Grand Adventures is located in the hotel at the back and they do snowmobil tours - you HAVE to do one of these - it was probably one of the best things I've ever done (I'll write a separate review)

There is loads of information in the reception on what is about (to do, to see etc) and the reception staff are very friendly & helpful. There is also a ski shop in the hotel, but we didn't use this. The free shuttle bus stops right outside the hotel and is regular - it only takes about 5 minutes to Cooper Creek Square (place with shops and restaurants) and 2 minutes to the ski village (where you ski, restaurants and shops). The Winter Park ski resort itself was massive, great snow and lots of different runs (I'll write a separate review on that)

We used Home James Shuttle to get from the airport to the hotel (they seem to be one of the few operators doing transfers here) and they dropped us right at the door of our hotel.

When you check in you get given some vouchers for money off at certain places (restaurants, shops etc) so its worth checking those out. Check out is 10am, but they let us check out late, which was helpful.

It was a great hotel - a complete and utter bargain for a huge room, with exceptional views and a great location.

www.winterparkresort.com will give you loads of info

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Zephyr Mountain Lodge
Zephyr Mountain Lodge
#3 of 25 in Winter Park
Americas Best Value Sundowner Motel

Been to Winter Park Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!