“Short Ski Trip” 4 of 5 bubbles

Iron Horse Resort
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
“Short Ski Trip”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2008

I stopped at eh Iron Horse for a couple of nights while returning from Steamboat Springs. I booked the unit through the Winter Park Ski Area web site and was most pleased with unit I was assigned.

The Studio Condo was on the fifth floor, a short direct walk to the ski trail accessed from that floor for a true ski in ski out location. Access is via a Green trail but to reach it requires skiing a Blue trail on the Mary Jane side of the WInter Park / Mary Jane Ski Area. The Blue Trail is groomed daily but if there is a heavy snow, it can be challenging for Novice Skiers. An alternate to returning to the complex is to use the free ski area shuttle.

The unit was excellently equipped with a gas fireplace, plasma TV, a full kitchen with modern appliances and a small balcony. The room was quite spacious with the Murphy Bed on one wall stored away..

The full bath was rather small but more than adequate. Storage was plentiful with a couple of small cabinets built in and numerous hooks for hanging gear. The management requires skis be stored outside the unit at the on site ski shop which is not too much of a problem although it is located on the ground floor and reached by one of the three elevators in the complex.

Parking is free and inside one of two garages on the ground floor of the complex.

I would definitely stay here again if skiing Winter Park for both the convenience and the accommodations.

• Liked — Ski in SKi out location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled solo
2 Thank skibuff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Fort Worth, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2008

We just returned from our trip to Winter park and stayed at the Iron Horse so here is my review. We rented a studio condo on the second floor directly from the owner via vrbo.com. Our unit was adequately furnished with all amenities needed for our stay and the owner was great to deal. My wife was a first time skier so this condo did not really work for us on the ski in/ski out aspect, there was no way she could have taken on the blue to ski into the resort (my bad judgment I guess). We could ski down to the lifts with no problem, but coming back via the bus shuttle was a huge pain. Very slow service to pickup and many times the drivers would not drop you off at Ski Depot (1st hotel floor) so we had to carry our gear through the lobby, take the elevator, carry our gear down the long hallway, and then cross the street to store our gear. The coffee machine in the lobby was constantly broke or out off stock. The owner gave us a very good price on the room and the room was nice so I have no regrets for the price I paid, but if we come back we will stay elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TXFolk
KasyAllen, Sales and Marketing Manager at Iron Horse Resort, responded to this review, October 23, 2008
Thank you for staying at the Iron Horse Resort and posting your comments. It is these comments that help us continue to improve our resort and encourage our homeowners to update as well. I wanted to take this time to address a few of your concerns. First of all, as far as the maintenance issues in your room we encourage our guests to report any maintenance issues to our front desk department so that we can immediately address any concerns and problems you may have. If it is a simple fix that our in-house maintenance technicians can handle, then they can get the problem fixed while you are out on the slopes and be in working order by the time you return. In the rare case that we have to outsource the issues and move our guest, we have many other condominiums to choose from. Thank you for referencing the room number; this gives us the opportunity to turn this comment over to the homeowner and also our maintenance staff.
As far as the limited number of plates, bowls and cups, we are only required to furnish the room with a certain number of these items, but our front desk and housekeeping staff would be more than happy to deliver additional items, if needed.
We are typically told that the gas fireplace puts off too much heat if turned all the way up (guests like to turn them up when they hit the slopes, so they can return to a cozy, warm place). To cool the room down, they open the sliding glass door (yes, in the dead of winter). We will absolutely be checking the heat source in #2034 to make sure that the heat is adequate enough to heat the entire unit.
I apologize for the messy room, especially the spots and hair that was found. We pride ourselves in having the cleanest rooms that we possibly can; in fact, the rooms are cleaned, and then inspected before release to the guest. I wish we could have had the opportunity to see your room and clean it, or at least move you to a room that was thoroughly cleaned. We never want any of our guests to have to check into a dirty room, or one with maintenance issues, and appreciate you taking the time to let us know about these problems so that we may address them.
Again, we highly encourage our guests to report any issues to our front desk the day they check-in, or as soon as they have a problem, so that we can fix the problems and have you back on the slopes enjoying the vacation that you paid for.
Our reservationists are very informative when it comes to the local area, especially the Iron Horse Resort. We try to inform our guests of as much as we can, but feel that we are rattling on and on at times. We love our resort and the local area, and would love to chat with each of our guests about how much we enjoy living in an area that people pay to vacation to, but since we are limited to not talking your ear off, we try to answer the questions that the guests have and ask them if they want to know anything else about their Winter Park vacation. Our ski-in/ski-out is a green slope out and a blue slope in, but the local shuttle is available to guests that choose not to use this option. The bus runs through our property every 15-20 minutes and if it is delayed, we can call them to see what is holding them up. I assure you that the school bus shuttle is cleaned and they try their best to keep up on the appearance, but with high traffic in and out of the busses, it is ha rd to keep the area clean for each passenger because of snow and mud on the bottom of boots. The bus drivers have assigned drop off areas and have to go through training before driving the busses to learn these areas. If a guest wants to be dropped off somewhere else, they can always ask the bus driver if they can stop, or which bus would be appropriate for them to ride to get to their destination.
Sol Vista is an amazing resort and has many new updates for their guests to enjoy. Granite Sol Vista is much smaller than Winter Park, it is a great resort to ski and snowboard at for many reasons. Like I said before, we are a little partial to Winter Park and love the acreage, (over 3,000 skiable acreage).
Denver CO
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2008

Anyone staying at the Iron Horse Condos in Winter Park should know a few things beforehand. First, we learned after arriving there that each unit is individually-owned, so there is not much quality control. Our unit, #2034, had plumbing problems with almost every possible water fixture: drippy faucets and commode, slow drain in the tub; part of one shower handle fell off. Luckily the dishwasher worked fine, as we had to use it every day for the three of us to be able to eat. (We were told that the Iron Horse only requires that each unit of that size have four plates, four saucers, four bowls, four coffee mugs/cups--that was what we had! On the other hand, we had 24 glasses so we could have had a huge booze party--not likely with our 10-year-old son along. Instead, we ate cereal out of highball glasses. Also, there was no casserole dish with a lid that could be used in the microwave, so one of the precious plates became a splatter lid.) The only source of heat was the gas fireplace, despite there being baseboard heat installed but not functioning. The place was very dirty when we moved in, as well--sticky spots on the floors, the bathroom looked like someone had just had a haircut.

When we informed the desk of the problems we had, we were told to call the accounting department on a weekday for a discount on our room. Nearly a month later, we haven't heard back from the voicemail we left for Liz.

The ski-in/ski-out feature was marginal for our upper-beginner showboarder son: there was no way he would have made it down the blue Mary Jane ski run to ski in, and he had to push himself a lot on the flats to get out (not what we were told over the phone--we paid extra over another nearby hotel's price for what we hoped would be convenience to the slopes). The other option is to take the grimy schoolbuses that Winter Park calls shuttles, where you wait 40 minutes for a driver who's been brought in from Florida to help deal with the holiday rush and doesn't know where at Iron Horse to let you off.

All in all, our Winter Park experiment told us that we could just go down the road a few minutes to SolVista and have a more pleasant experience. It's not fancy there, but the facilities where we stayed in 2006 were adequate (much cheaper) and the people are friendly on the SolVista slopes and elsewhere in the resort area.

Stayed January 2008
1 Thank LodgeLizard_SkiMom
Thank you for staying with us at the Iron Horse Resort. I wanted to take this opportunity to address some of your concerns with our resort and amenities. The free town shuttle, owned and operated by first student, does its best to meet all guest needs in the Winter Park area by keeping on a constant schedule. However, during icy and snowy conditions, the shuttle tends to be delayed on its route. We have spoken with them about dropping off at the Ski Depot location and although they try to keep up with the correct drop off locations, the ice build up prohibits the bus to make the full loop around Iron Horse, thus they drop off at the front entrance. We continually try to chip away at the ice, but we had an amazing snow year in the 2007/2008 season. Our front desk agents will be more than happy to call a maintenance employee to help you get you gear to the Ski Depot and can also furnish a bell cart so that guests don’t have to carry their gear. We are working hard to f ind a coffee machine that will uphold to the heavy guest traffic we get in the winter season… there are a lot of coffee drinkers that stay here, and they love their morning brew… so we are absolutely trying to jump all over this problem so our guests can hit the slopes ready, perky and no longer… decaffeinated! I’m sorry to hear that you want to stay somewhere else next time you visit the area, but would love the opportunity to change your mind and invite you to see our many upgrades and remodels that we have been working diligently on over the 2008 summer.

Travelers are raving about these Winter Park hotels

Oak Park, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2008

We rented a "premium" or "luxury" unit (2 bedroom, 3 bath) January 16-January 20, 2008 for our family (2 adults and 3 boys, ages 10, 8, 2). When we arrived at approximately 4 p.m. on January 16, 2008, the unit in which we were put was cold. Accordingly, I turned up the thermostats in every room in the premium unit to warm it up. By that evening, it was clear that none of the heating units was working. Accordingly, I contacted the front desk. The gentleman at the front desk informed me that “there was never any heat in those units” and that we “should use the fireplace.” I told him that this response was absolutely unacceptable in light of the time of year and weather. I informed him that I had three children, including a toddler, and that the glass enclosure on the fireplace became extremely hot with the fireplace on, and thus was hazardous. He advised me that there was nothing he could do, and that he would pass along the issue to the manager the next day.

The night, the temperature outside dropped to 20° F below zero. While I turned the fireplace on after my toddler was asleep (and put one of the couches in front of the fireplace so that none of my children could approach it directly), the fireplace clearly was not able to heat the entire unit.

The following day, I investigated moving to a new property. However, in the interim, maintenance arrived at our unit, turned on the heat and criticized us for putting the couch in front of the fireplace. (Ultimately there was never working heat in the second, front bedroom). Subsequently, a second woman came by who said she was sent by maintenance to investigate a “burned” couch. First, as she observed, there was no burned couch. Second of all, we were livid because, even had there been a “burned” couch due to its placement in front of the fireplace, the fault was in the association for not providing working heat in dangerously cold weather.

Throughout this entire process, despite my request that a manager contact us, we never heard from management with an explanation as to why we were not provided heat.

On our final day, I arrived at check out at and first requested that the gentleman at the front desk credit us for the first night stay and explained why. He told me that my request could only be dealt with by a manager. Accordingly, I requested to speak to a manager. He advised me that the manager had not yet arrived but that he would leave a message for the manager to contact me. I have yet to hear from anybody.

Other issues that came up: (1) we requested a unit that overlooked the slopes or the mountains when we booked. We were told then that all of the units overlooked the mountain. When we arrived, we learned that all the 2 br, 3 ba units overlooked the parking lots or pools. (2) resort management "excused" the shuttle service that would take us to the ski area base (we couldn't ski out with a 2 year old) from coming to the preset pick-up places within the resort; (3) maid service was spotty (some days didn't show up at all).

We would not go back.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Accomodations
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank bethf023
kc
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2007

My husband and I have skied at Winter Park for twenty + years. We like skiing at Thanksgiving on the one year in three or four when they have LLLOOTTTSSS of snow. If you can make a last minute reservation, you might find most of your favorite trails open and empty until the day after Thanksgiving.
We've stayed at Iron Horse on more than twenty five trips/100+ days. We stayed once in the largest unit for a family vacation. (It was wonderful except for the usual hassles of having to share the living room with the kids who slept on the sofa bed.) Most of the time, we stayed in a sports studio w/ the sofa bed unoccupied. Every unit was well maintained and comfortable.
The murphy beds in the studios are surprisingly comfortable. With the bed tucked back into the wall, the condos are plenty large for two people. The individual units are owned by different people, so the decor varies from 'a bit tired' to 'updated last month.' In Winter Park, we've also tried Hi Country House, Snowblaze, Zephyr Lodge, and several others. I'd take Iron Horse over all of the others. It's nice to sit in a hot tub at the end of the day, sipping a long island ice tea and getting snowed on! Or you can go back to your condo and laze in front of your fireplace while waiting for the steaks to cook on the balcony grill.... YEAH!

• Liked — 3-4 star value for the price of 2-3 stars
  • Disliked — restaurant could be open more
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank travel-a-lot-4fun
Los Angeles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2007

We stayed at the Iron Horse in early September for a weekend wedding, which was also held at the resort. We got an excellent price for a two bedroom condo. The place was huge, nicely decorated and very clean. However, it was clear that it was built sometime in the 80's and could use a complete overhall of the appliances and fixtures. The resort was very quiet, as it's the off-season and we very much enjoyed the outdoor jacuzzis. The fitness center is small and functional. The equipment is pretty old, but it works and I was able to get my work-out in. Overall we had a wonderful stay and, for the price, were very happy with our accommodations.

• Liked — Excellent room for the price we paid
  • Disliked — Outdated appliances and fixtures
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SaltyStar
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2007

We booked a great price thru Orbitz and got a Sport Studio. It was perfect for the two of us. Our room was very nice with lots of amenities such as a nice kitchen, nice towels, and a cozy fireplace. I had concerns about having a murphy bed but it felt like a regular queen so that was not a problem at all. Our room had a lovely little balcony and faced the mountain and the ski trail down to the Winter Park resort.

The mountain and trails were fantastic. I am learning to ski so while my boyfriend used the ski trail (very gradual) behind the Iron Horse to ski down to the Winter Park resort, I walked it to the WP resort. I took the free shuttle back to the Iron Horse when I wanted to return to the hotel (it was the first shuttle stop from the Winter Park resort to Iron Horse....very convenient). I could have walked back but the shuttle was great. My boyfriend skied back to our hotel from Mary Jane.

I took the Fast Start ski lessons for beginners and it was fanatastic. It was much more thorough than I thought it would be. It was 2 1/2 hours long and the instructor was excellent. I hightly recommend the Fast Start lessons if you have never skied.

There are shuttles to WInter Park Old Town but we chose to drive there. Had dinner at Dino's Mountain Bistro (loved the baked Brie appetizer).

There isn't much to do at the WInter Park resort itself (not many shops and not very many restaurants) but the slopes and runs are terrific. More places to eat in downtown WInter Park.

I loved the Iron Horse and plan to return next year.

• Liked — Location