I lived in the area at one point and have been coming to WP for 30 years. I knew about it but never even visited Iron Horse before this week (March, 2012). Last weekend my teenage son and I made a quick trip, so I was calling around trying to find lodging at the last minute. We got a good value through Alderwood (management company, phone # on web site). They offered a better deal than VRBO or the other local property managers. I thought, "we can risk it for a few days."
I have to say I was surprised. The building is a little older, but it is well maintained and our studio unit was very nice. The murphy bed was comfy, and the fold-out couch was tolerable for the teenager. Fold them up, and we had plenty of space and a nice balcony. Our unit even had HBO, though it was a tube TV. The indoor/outdoor pool was great, and the hot tubs (2) awesome, with a great view. Staff were real friendly and helpful. Even though it appeared pretty full, it was quiet. We never waited more than a minute for an elevator. Parking was easy (the garage is a bit dark, so bring a flashlight). They let us leave our car there for the last day while we skied after checking out. There's a small ski shop right there that gives you a good deal on rentals. The walk across the little bridge to the Corridor ski run is not long, you ski down to the Zephyr lift (probably poling or skating for a short ways). Coming in is easy if you can ski an intermediate (blue) down the Jane side. When it was time to go, we skied down to the driveway, dropped the skis off, got in the car and left. No stress.
I've stayed all over the valley, and Iron Horse is not a new development and it's not walking distance to much night life (there is a bistro/bar with live music, but I did not visit it), but for me and my family, Alderwood will definitely get a call next time we're coming.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located within walking distance to the ski lifts at Winter Park. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets and HotelQuickly so you can book your Iron Horse Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Iron Horse Hotel Winter Park
- Iron Horse Resort Colorado