“Great Time at Ski School - Spring Break 2013”
Review of Winter Park Resort

Rocky Mountain National Park Day Trip from Denver
Ranked #1 of 24 things to do in Winter Park
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Located just 67 miles from downtown Denver on the west side of the Contintental Divide, Winter Park Resort offers over 3,000 acres of skiable terrain, 25 lifts, five terrain parks and a new slopeside village including lodging, restaurants, and shops. In the summer, Winter Park is home to Trestle Bike Park, the fastest growing bike park in North America, with over 40 miles of downhill trails served by three lifts, lessons, rentals and more. Other fun activities include tubing hill, ice-skating, snowshoe and snowcat tours!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Lockers / storage, Activities for young children, Food available for purchase
Reviewed March 20, 2013

This is a very narrow review of Winter Park Ski Resort. My kids are beginner skiers with their only other experience being the previous year at Beaver Creek. I had seen some reviews that the ski school is not very good, but our experience was excellent and my daughters, 17 and 21 had a great instructor who worked well with them. He was also more experienced than the young kid we had at Beaver Creek. They also provide a GPS track of your instructor during the day(not sure if other resorts do this now) so you can follow where you went. Doesn't help your skiing but my kids liked reviewing their day. The main rental area the day of ski school was organized, calm and didn't take very long perhaps because we were there at 8:30 in the morning.

From a resort perspective, Winter Park appears to be more laid back and less glamours than Beaver Creek, at least for my family. Since we are not regular skiers I cannot vouch for the skiing experience other than our ski school time.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

Choose a smaller outfit, maybe even pay more, but DON'T use the resort's rental service. It's horrible! Here's what's gone wrong so far (we just got here):
1) helmets aren't included, expect to pay $8-10 per day extra
2) you can't get your stuff till after 3p.m. That wouldn't be such a big deal, except you're in there like a cow with hordes of other people. It took 1.5 hours for us to get our stuff, and WE HAD PRE-ORDERED! I can't imagine how much longer it would've taken if we hadn't done that. Like other places, it's set up in a progressive system with long lines at each station.
3) when we called ahead, we waited on hold for a long time to ask when we could come get our stuff and they said anytime. That was WRONG, we went down there at 11:00 a.m. and were told we couldn't get our stuff till 3p.m.

The workers were mostly trying, there were just too few of them in too small of an area. The worker who stood out as exceptional was the girl getting boots. She was literally running and trying so hard. She had been working there since 7 a.m. and was still running hard. If a manager sees this, check your work schedule for March 17, 2013 - THAT girl is a keeper and you need about 20 of her.

Customer service was NOT a priority here - take your business to a place that won't treat your family like cattle.
P.S. There were 12 people in my party - we ALL agree to this assessment.

3  Thank mydogisfat
WinterParkResort, Guest Relations Manager at Winter Park Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Thank you for telling us about your rental experience during Spring Break - I am sorry we let you down - that's never our intent.

All children's rental packages include a complimentary helmet, while adults have the option of adding for less than $7/day when booked in advance. While pre-ordering your equipment is not an "express" service, it does provide a discount and an equipment availability guarantee. Our courtesy pick up time for next day rentals begins at 3pm, when guests begin returning their equipment from the slopes, and this service is available until 9pm. I'll be sure to pass your feedback along regarding the incorrect time advice, and I apologize for this error. During busy Spring Break we had our Village store fully staffed, with 10+ employees. I am pleased to read that they were doing their best to get your family set up as quickly as possible.

Thank you for choosing Winter Park Resort - we will always appreciate your visits.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

I was shocked that the lift lines ran so smooth! We are used to standing around in lift lines for spring break, but not here! The mountain is so big it accommodates a lot of people! No time wasted in lift lines, more time on the runs!

2  Thank Stacy G
Reviewed March 16, 2013

I have skied 120+ days in the past three years; 5 days here.

If you like tree runs, the Mary Jane (MJ) part of the resort will be great for you. Arguably the best in Colorado.

If you like moguls, MJ also excels. You'll find plenty of variety and challenge.

If you are an intermediate skier, there isn't much here. Keystone, Vail, Copper would be a much better choice for you.

If you are a beginner, the Winter Park (WP) side of the mountain is easy - almost too flat; you'll have to push your self along A LOT. I think Breck is a better choice.

If you are taking lessons, then El Dora or Cooper (not to be confused with Copper) are much cheaper and have just as good a teaching staff.

Please hit "helpful" if this helps you plan your trip.

19  Thank lwelshCO
Reviewed March 16, 2013

I traveled with 11 friends (ages 22-40) with varying skills from beginning (took classes) to expert (snowboarding the bowls) and EVERYONE had a great time. The mountains are awesome (Mary Jane for the blues and blacks), Winter Park for the novice and more conservative folks. Plenty of lifts, plenty of places to eat and drink, and the staff is super friendly!

2  Thank GreenBiners