“Most kid friendly ski resort”
Review of Winter Park Resort

Winter Park Resort
Ranked #1 of 25 things to do in Winter Park
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Located just 67 miles from downtown Denver on the west side of the Contintental Divide, Winter Park Resort offers over 3,000 acres of skiable terrain, 25 lifts, five terrain parks and a new slopeside village including lodging, restaurants, and shops. In the summer, Winter Park is home to Trestle Bike Park, the fastest growing bike park in North America, with over 40 miles of downhill trails served by three lifts, lessons, rentals and more. Other fun activities include tubing hill, ice-skating, snowshoe and snowcat tours!
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage, Food available for purchase
Reviewed February 5, 2013

I learned to ski here when I was 8 years old – back in the early-80s and it was a fabulous place for families then. Now, it’s even better!!! The ski school is wonderful. My 3 year old son learned to ski in a half day lesson by an instructor who really cared and took an interest in him. All the ski resort staff and the people in every restaurant and café were excited to see a family and helped us without hesitation. They have wagons to pull kids and their ski gear around the Village. And, a free cabriolet to get from one side of the mountain to the other. Very impressed!

1  Thank mountainholmes
Write a ReviewReviews (1,232)
All reviews
in 29 reviews
"mountain biking"
in 20 reviews

Reviewed February 4, 2013

If you are an advanced skier this is the place to be. Lots of lifts and lots of runs. Lifts are longer than Granby Ranch and beginner slopes are harder to find. Some Blue slopes are a little difficult for some intermediates.

2  Thank HIngram746
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I was born and bred in Colorado and remember a Winter Park with a great reputation. We were up vacationing for the Christmas holiday from Arizona. My Mom's gift to her grandchildren was to give them their first skiing experience however, after their day at Winter Park Ski School they both vowed never to ski again.

As parents we expected our kids would be safe and put in the hands of trained qualified individuals and they were not. Our kids were traumatized by what should have been a very positive first skiing experience. It was clear the instructor lacked experience and was not looking after the needs of the children. He admitted he mistakenly took them down a trail leading them outside of the training zone and they were put at risk. I also was able to see this path on the GPS registered to them. It was evident he was not looking after their well being and our youngest son was nearly frost bitten and surely would have been, had their evacuation off the mountain by ski patrol taken much longer. Yes, Ski patrol had to jump in and take them out by snowmobile and then down an express lift as it was clear their safety and well being was put at risk. The impact of this day changed our entire vacation plans.

We were offered a free follow lesson but the kids vowed they would never go again. So much for a family week of skiing. After we returned home, I emailed the Ski School Managers' Tony and Bryan seeking a refund. It has been a month now with no reply or follow up. Very telling indeed about Winter Park's customer service intent. So much for standing behind their mission of "creating the best memories...again and again."

As you will see from my other Trip Advisor reviews I am not one to write about negative experiences but this is one that I could not ignore.

5  Thank voyagerhombre
WinterParkResort, Guest Relations Manager at Winter Park Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

Thank you for sharing your Winter Park Resort experience. We've sent you a private message with direct contact details for our Ski School Manager, so that he may address and resolve your concerns fully.

Winter Park Ski + Ride School values guest feedback, and we strive to exceed guests' expectations. Your experience was not as anticipated, and we sincerely apologize. We welcome every opportunity to create better experiences, as our lessons are guaranteed to meet or exceed expectations. We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Reviewed February 2, 2013

Have been coming here for 10 years and love the resort. The village of shops that are at the base have grown ten fold in those years and there are so many things to do for everyone in the group.

1  Thank MyAbundance
See more reviews
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I've made over a dozen trip to Winter Park to ski over the past decade, it is one of my favorite places to ski in Colorado! Great bumps, great grooming, friendly staff, excellent beginners terrain park for the kids. Being an advanced skier I just head up the lift and enjoy. But over the past few years I've started to bring the next generation of skiers with! My nephew has had three lessons at Winter Park. The first day of lessons (at Winter Park back in 2010) was incredible, he really enjoyed it and improved greatly! The second day was a different instructor and he did not learn much. This year both my nephew and my brother in law (only his third time skiing!) took the 'MAX 4 LESSONS'. Both were very disappointed. They have a maximum of 4 students per instructor for these half day lessons (same price as full day group lessons). The issue is that students are at all different levels in the group of four, so the instructor has to spend all of his time working with the weakest in the group and the better skiers in the group do not improve! My nephew learned little as the instructor had to spend all of his time with a young girl who should have been in a GREEN lesson group, not blue. My brother in law had an overweight women in his class who was so terrible she fell off the lift as he was trying to hold onto her! Again, the instructor had to spend all of her time with this woman...and it shorts the other students greatly! Winter Park needs to actually assess each students abilities before separating them into groups for class (and not just take their word as to what level they are at) so students are more equal in the class. Honestly, is was a waste of money for lessons this year :( We will be back skiing at Winter Park, but never for lessons!

1  Thank c3pon
WinterParkResort, Guest Relations Manager at Winter Park Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2013

At Winter Park Ski and Ride School we value guest feedback and strive to exceed guests' expectations in everything we do. Unfortunately, it's clear you and your family did not have the experience you anticipated, as a result we welcome an opportunity to leave you with a better impression. Our lesson programs are guaranteed to meet or exceed your expectations, if you would like to give us a second chance, the next lesson for your nephew and brother in-law will be on us. Please contact us directly to arrange another lesson experience - we look forward to hearing from you soon.