“The Perfect Ski Lodge”

Arapahoe Ski Lodge
San Antonio, Texas
“The Perfect Ski Lodge”
Reviewed January 15, 2011

This was our first family trip to Winter Park, Colorado and we so lucky to have discovered Arapahoe Ski Lodge. It was everything I remember about visiting a ski lodge from when I grew up. The staff (which is the family that owns the lodge) is what makes this place the most special vacation you will take to the mountains. The bedroom was a little small for the my wife and two children (since we needed to spread out all of our winter garments), but little actual time is spent in the bedroom. All of the leisure time is spent in the cozy living room, reading room, dining room and game room. There are comfortable chairs, couches and fireplaces at every corner of the lodge and the owners make sure you have everything you need to relax. It was the first vacation with our two boys (9 and 11) that I felt completely comfortable letting them leave the room on their own and come back when they were finished playing (pool, ping pong, board games, puzzles, etc). The kids have already asked when we can go back so they can see their new 'friends' again.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Reviewed January 29, 2010

Our family discovered this lodge years ago and we've been going back ever since. There's something so great about arriving and then being able to leave the car parked. The lodge delivers us to the ski area in the morning (after a great breakfast) and picks us up. We change for swimming and the hot tub, then dress again for drinks and hors d'ouvres by the fireplace lounge. No need to deal with trips out to wait at crowded restaurants for dinner because the lodge dining is fantastic. Every trip there we meet great people and come home again feeling great. Summer is just as much fun.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank jayski_WP
Chicago
Reviewed January 11, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed there last month along with my 6 year old son and I can't say enough about the place. It could be seen as outdated but we looked at the lodge as vintage and quaint. Their den/entertainment room was a nice variation to the standard hotel rooms where people park themselves in front a tv. We taught my son how to play pool (sort of); the owner came to show us an old time game involving a top and mini bowling pin-like pins, there was a section of childhood games and toys (legos, etch a sketch, various games, sleds to take outside, etc. ) as well as child and adult books.
As far as the food goes.. outstanding, personal and plenty of it!! Just an overall great place to stay.

I even forgot my sunglasses there but, although I knew they were lost, I didn't know they were left there. 3 weeks after I stayed there, I rec'd a box in the mail with my glasses from the lodge. Another example of friendly and "take the extra step" service.

We will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank jillfields0103
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 16, 2009

I arrived in Winter Park on Amtrak and the Arapahoe Ski Lodge provided transpiration to and from the station. The drive was only about 7-10 minutes and took us into “downtown” Winter Park.

I have never been skiing but in my minds eye I had a vision of what a ski lodge should look like.

First off I was looking for hospitality. The Arapahoe Ski Lodge has just that. I found the staffed to be quite welcoming. I also believe that most of the staff also owns the place. It’s operated by two families the Roman’s and Holzwarth.

I was expecting a property with rustic appointments and yes this property had the rich wooden feel. The bedroom I was in had a comfortable bed, bathroom and fan. Also available was a viewing room for TV (…as I was sitting watching soccer I felt like I was in a comfy friend’s home). Swimming and sauna are available along with a bar and game room to complete my perfect ski lodge.

I was also expecting snow. It was July so I won’t hold that against them!

The Arapahoe Ski Lodge is located just down the road from Hideaway Park which is Winter Park’s outdoor concert facility. I just happened to arrive during the “Winter Park Music Festival.” I was able to take a short walk up the road to the park to take in a free concert by the Chicago Transit Authority. That was a little added value I wasn’t expecting from my stay at Winter Park.

This was a great value as it was off season. The $69 stay included full use of the facilities and a home cooked breakfast. I especially enjoyed the fresh baked loaf of apple bread.

I really enjoyed my stay at the Arapahoe Ski Lodge. The next time I bopok a stay at the Arapahoe I may better coordinate my dates so that I can get a little snow included with the Ski Lodge!

All the best,