“The best place to stay for a ski holiday”

Fraser Crossing / Founders Pointe
Reviewed April 9, 2012

We could not have asked or expected anywhere better than this. We had a studio apartment for this trip which was perfect for the two of us. The apartment was huge, with a gas fire, lovely bed and well appointed kitchenette. It even had a dishwasher and the most enormous bath! The ski locker downstairs was a good size and the apartment complex a really short walk from the lifts. We didnt pay for indoor parking, it was free 200yds up the road and not a difficult walk. There was also a bus service from one of the further lots and the village gondoler was a nice ride.

We hired our kit from ski depot located in the Iron Horse complex just up the road. Cheaper than the one by the lift, but less convenient when we needed to change something.

The best thing about the apartment...defintely the outdoor hot tub. Communal but huge and really nice after a day on the slopes.

All in all would happily recommend Fraser Crossing for accomodation and Winter Park for skiing. I just hope that the next time I go somewhere for a ski holiday it can be as good as this.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BaileyBearcat
There are newer reviews for Fraser Crossing / Founders Pointe

Reviewed March 13, 2012

I made reservations online and was notified on the document that parking was included. When I arrived, the clerk assured me that, no, I needed to pay an extra $13 a night to park at the hotel. But I was told that I welcome to park up at the main ski parking. I could easily get back by a quick ride on a lift and then walk through the village. Well, I did this, but as I pulled up to the lift, they were shutting it down. "Just wait over there at that sign, and the shuttle will be right by". But the shuttle didn't come there after all. When it came to the other spot, I couldn't get there in the 10 sec it had its door one before driving off. By now, I was steamed. Was I supposed to walk down the road back? So I get back in my car and drive the 2 min back to the hotel to complain at the front desk. Not much sympathy there. "it's the home owner association policy. I can't do anything about it". So I had to drive yet again to the remote parking lot to be picked up by the hotel shuttle. What a pain in the behind. Wouldn't come here again.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Kevin T
Reviewed March 11, 2012

Condo is located about 100 yds. from the Zephyr Express lift and the ski rental shop. Attractive, modern decor (I dislike the "knotty pine" look so frequently found in ski resorts, but not at Founders Pointe/Fraser Crossing). Furniture and appliances in top condition. Our minor requests were efficiently and cheerfully handled by the staff at the Zephyr Mountain Lodge. All employees exceeded our expectations, even calling restaurants to make sure they are open. A few suggestions: A full-length mirror would be useful. Bathroom floor needed a thorough cleaning, especially behind the toilet and underneath the vanity. Everything else was kept sparkling clean. Restaurants within walking distance close around 8 p.m. (bars stay open a little later). If you want to dine later, make arrangements with the Zephyr Mountain Lodge front desk for the free shuttle into town . Latest return back to condo 10:30 p.m. Loved this condo. Wish they were all like Founders Pointe.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 11, 2012

We stayed here in Feb of 2011. I think we stated in Founders Pointe - its very confusing which is which. If you are a hot tubber then when you book make sure you book the property with the large hot tub. It was the largest hot tub I've ever seen. Never crowded.
We were in a one bedroom unit that was sort of in the back corner. It was oddley shaped. We did have a small balcony but the view from the living room was quite hampered by the odd shape.
As I recall there was a fair amount of noise due to thinner walls and hallway activity.
The location is very good - just across the street from the lifts - not too bad a walk.

Room Tip: Try no to get pushed into the inside corner - the unit was very oddley shaped.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 11, 2012

Our 6 member family (2 adults and 4 kids) stayed 5 nights using a one bedroom plus unit with a kitchenette. It was well-maintained. They do not have regular cleaning service so you will need to take your trash out and make your beds. The upside is that you can get however many towels, sheets and pillows you need with no questions asked. Every time I called down to the front desk to ask anything, they were very courteous and accommodating. The only hiccup to our room is that it lacked a couple of light bulbs which either needed to be changed or that we actually needed one. No problem. Call the front desk and someone came with in minutes to fix the lights. There is a kitchenette stocked with pans, pots, utensils, and all of the china you need for a family of 6. It was just right to cover any meal of your choice. They even have a key for a unit/locker downstairs to keep all of your ski equipment. It was a plus! the other plus was the underground parking which really helped making sure our rental car was safe and free from any additional snow. Easy access to and from elevator to car. You also have great access to and from the village area. We were able to get a pizza or bowl of soup within walking distance.
Downside, with any hotel, you can hear the sounds from the other rooms and hallway. The front desk is also accross the street. Oh well, you can't have it all! All in all, we enjoyed our stay. It was extra special because we were able to get an awesome view of the mountains from our balcony area! It is a very nice home away from home!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony!
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 6, 2012

We - a group of three friends stayed here @ end of January 2012 for 10 nights in the Founders building.
The two bedroomed unit was very spacious and well equipped - we had everything we needed. An extra bonus was the washer/dryer - we came home with cases full of clean clothes. The closeness to the slopes is obviously not as good as the Zephyr - previously stayed there 3 years ago - really is ski in/out but Founders more than makes up for the 5 minute walk in the morning. The building is alot more modern and the larger outdoor hot tub is so much better. There is a gas BBQ and outdoor fireplace which you can cook your steaks which you cook in the pool!!! We stocked up @ the Safeway store via the free shuttle bus on our arrival and just needed to top up1-2 times.
The skiing in Winter Park is fabulous although to be fair the snow levels were definitely not as good as 3 years ago. The slopes are well maintained and for the most of the time relatively quiet - no queuing for the lifts. the staff around this whole resort were extremely friendly and efficient - couldn't fault any part it.
Winter Park village does have some nice shops - not a great selection but more than adequate. There are quite a few very nice restaurants which we sampled.
Overall I couldnt rate this resort high enough - fantastic place for all types of trips.
Will definitely come back

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Rosie35Belfast
Reviewed March 1, 2012

We truly enjoyed our stay in a studio for 2 nights. The apartment was roomy and cozy, we ate in first night, and the second night we went out. One word of advice is to get the food early. We arrived the first day around 7PM and had to go to pick out the skiing equipment. After finishing around 8:30PM, almost all places were closed - we had to drive to the village to get the takeout. The location is perfect - right across the slopes. We also enjoyed the hot tub which was fun to relax those sore muscles after a day of skiing.
Overall, we had a blast, and I would really recommend Winter Park for family skiing!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family