“Single Mom in Winter Park”
Review of Founders Pointe

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Winter Park
Founders Pointe
Reviewed December 28, 2009

Just got back from Winter Park Colorado with my nine year old son, and it was the "best vacation ever" words from the 9 year old. Stuff to know: We stayed at Founder's Pointe. Great free shuttle into town. Although Winter Park Lodging told me upon booking that the heated under unit parking was included, the desk told me it was $14 per night. Might want to clear that up upon booking. The condo's were lovely. We went with a 1 BR suite. It was very spacious, but it was loud even though we were on the 5th floor away from the hot tub. Huge bath tub, which my tall son could not touch both ends at one time. Since the units are condo's you only have house keeping on the 3rd day. That was okay with me. We bought lots of food and drink in Denver and only ate out twice.

On skiing - get the kids a ski lesson, it is the best money you will spend. Depending on how athelic your kid is a half day might do. I was most interested in actually skiing with my child, so the faster I could get him up to speed the better. A half day worked for him.

On lift tickets - This was a tough one for me. King Sooper in Denver has lift tickets for Winter Park among other moutains, but during the high season, it only saved $5 per day for adults and nothing for children. I was told that there is a 4 day anytime pass that you can get for $150 you have to apply in person and you are suppose to be a Colorado resident. That was told to me by 2 locals on the lift. I do not have any more information about that. I ended up buying my tickets at the base of the mountain . If I had to do it again I would have bought the 4 out of 5 day ticket in advance. High season 12/19-1/4 is aptly named.

Skis rental. We rented at the base of the mountain. Also the most expensive place. I probably could haved bought skis for what I paid for 5 days. But we could store right there and didn't have to carry them back to Founder's Pointe where there are lockers for each unit.

One more thing about the condos. Each is separately owned, so you might want to ask about anything that you are interested in having. ie the one we were in did not have a VCR. but had 2 TVs.

Finally, check in is at 4:00. They were pretty strict on this point. It was difficult for the single mom, bc ski school was over at 3:00. It would have been nice for Founder's Pointe to maybe coordinate times, so that us single moms might have an opportunity to get into the condo while we still had child care coverage. On that point I think that they missed the boat.

Lastly - great restaraunts in town. Hernandos Pizza was one of the 2 places that we ate, Great Pizza and atmosphere - packed! but for good reason. The other place was Rosie's kitchen, also called the yellow house. It is very good for breakfast.

• Stayed: December 2009

Reviewed December 26, 2009

We stayed on the top floor at Founders Pointe and had a beautiful view of the cabriolet and Mary Jane slopes. The place is spotless, heated garage, not crowded and a fantastic hot spa and grill that we used almost every day. The skiing was sparse, with only a few slopes open, but since our girls are beginners it was enough fun. There are so many things to do nearby, and we went snowmobiling, swimming, and visit the hot springs.

The condo is well run, turnkey, and a short easy walk from the ground floor ski locker using a wagon. We rented skis at the base. the restaurants are nice, although there are not many, we ate at each one for dinner and just made breakfast and lunch at the condo and saved $ that way.

Thanks to the management at Founders Pointe, the check in and check out was simple and fast and the parking pass allowed us to pass in and out easily. The unit was nearly brand new, and well cared for. The stonework was attractive and the room was very clean and cozy. Loved the fireplace and deck as well.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 31, 2009

I have not been to Winter Park in Years and all I can say is "WOW". The new Winter Park Resort, which is where Founders Pointe is located, is very well done. Fantastic restaurants with great food and personality, breathtaking views, lots of wonderful activiteies for all ages, and everything is within a one minute walk. We will definitly be returning for ski season and we will stay at Founders Pointe as you can walk to the lifts, ice skating pond, great restaurants, and you can park in the underground garage for free as a resort guest. All of the staff we encountered were very warm and friendly and did everything possible to make our stay wonderful. The rooms are only one year old so they are very nicely done with granite counters and stainless stell appliances. We had 2 flat screen tvs in our 1 bedroom unit with an incredible 4 piece bath and a kitchenette fully stocked with everything you need to make and eat a great meal. Our one bedroom had a balcony which was great to sit out and take in the beauty of the mountains. The hot tub is the size of a pool and is located on a deck which also has great loungers and a gas grill for there gusts to use. We can't wait to go back. I was very impressed with this property and all Winter Park has to offer in the summer as well as in the winter.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 20, 2009

This was a fantastic apartment complex!

The apartments were large and there was plenty of room, we had a studio and apartment combined between two couples and there was enough space for all the rest of our friends to comeover fror dinner and drinks in the evening. The kitchen was well equipped and we were easily able to cater for 10+ using the equipment available in our joined up apartment.

There is a shared hot tub and BBQ area in the middle of the complex (with outdoor gas fires in the seating areas) and we used both. The BBQ was a bit on the manky side but that wasn't a big deal and we were still able to use it (when we figured out that we needed to turn the gas on at the pipe)

The location was very convenient and we were just a couple of minutes walk to the lifts at the baseof the mountain. There are ski lockers on the ground floor of the apartments and these come with your room (you aren't allowed ski's in the apartments)

All in all a great place to stay.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 7, 2009

This was our second stay at Winter Park. Last time we stayed at the mountain lodge which was a bit tired with awful room service so we decided to upgrade. We were thrilled with our 2 bedroom condo which had twin beds in one room for my 2 children and a king bed in the other for me (although most of the condos did not have twin beds - we were just lucky).
The facilities in the condo were fantastic with great kitchen and laundry room .We were just steps from the slopes and didn't have that awful hiking back to a bus thing at the end of a long day. We really enjoyed chillling on the sofas in front of the TV apres ski then taking the courtesy bus into winter park to eat (we did not like the restuarants at at the resort as much as they were a little over-priced). The bus driver will also take you to the supermarket in Fraser for groceries - a great service.
Winter park is a great place for skiing. We were there 12 days and still managed to have a great time without getting too bored. I would recommed staying at founders pointe/fraser crossing if you can afford the extra cash.
My only reservation was on arrival the receptionist was a little vague and needed an update in people skills! They had originally put us in two adjoining one bedroom condos evene though I booked a 2 bedroom one 6 months in advance. After travelling 14 hours I was not impressed but eventually they sorted it out and we ended up with one of the best condos in the building. Won't tell you which one or we may not be able to book it again! There is talk that the residents want to get rid of the courtesy bus due to the expense of it - DONT DO IT - this is what makes the whole thing great!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed March 12, 2009

4 college students and comfortably stayed in a one bedroom condo at Founders Pointe/Fraser Crossing. The pull out couch wasnt the best sleeping but the king size bed in the one bedrooms are excellent. There service in Winter Park is the best I have come across. The best part about the condos is the location. You are directly across the street from the base of the mtn and have easy axcess to ski lifts. There are complimentary ski lockers in the basement that will fit all your skis, even for 4 people. Please check this place out, you will be sastified.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 8, 2008

Went to Winter Park to get some of the great spring snow - not wanting to get stuck on I-70 if we had gone farther to Breck or Vail - and we will be back!! It was one of the best ski trips we have had. Only being familiar with the older properties in Winter Park, we wanted to stay at the base of the mountain to catch first tracks and found this great place from a friend of ours who stayed there recently. Founders Pointe is a brand new condo hotel with a variety of rooms from studio to 3 bedroom units. We stayed in a one bedroom adjacent to the hot tub. We were a bit reserved thinking it would be noisy at night, but the place is so well insulated we could not hear anyone at the hot tub. We had a great view of the ski trails and a free shuttle to take us into town. But the best part was the ultra comfortable mattress and the big screen to watch b'ball in the evening. The decor was very upscale from the other places we've stayed in Winter Park. And our car was kept warm and dry in the heated parking garage. We already made reservations for next ski season. HIghly recommended!!

One suggestion: try to get a room on the hot tub deck floor - all of the rooms seemed to have doors that opened to the deck and all of the other floors had a long route to get to the hot tubs. Also, there is an outdoor fireplace for roasting marshmallows every night and grills to cook out - perfect for the end of the day!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)