“Disgusting”

Howard Johnson Denver West
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Wheat Ridge
“Disgusting”
Reviewed July 4, 2014

My family and I came to stay here for a wedding. When we made our reservation we were told it would be non smoking, we get there and are told that they are overbooked and despite our reservation have to have a smoking room. My young brother is allergic to smoke but that wasn't their problem. My husband and I went to our room and the smoke smell was overwhelming, and looking around the bathroom noticed a red substance on the blow dryer which turned out to be blood. There was also a brown substance on the walls in the bathroom. At that point we left to find something else. We told the people at the front desk and they made no comment. This place is absolutely disgusting and will be passing on the word.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Elizabeth22786

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 24, 2014 via mobile

When I went to check in the guy "working" at the front desk was getting high on the patio. I completely understand...it IS Colorado and all.

He kept having to change the printer paper, reboot the printer, figure out how to print. He was nice though, probably because he was high. His girlfriend was waiting for him to go on break and kept making googly eyes at him the entire time from across the lobby.

It's right across the street from a truck stop so I definitely see the appeal! Convenient to I-70.

Inside the lobby is a disgusting, filthy aquarium. I'm surprised some of the fish were still alive.

In the back parking lot were several grown men racing remote control cars and a couple of hoodlums getting high in their car. A couple old, broken down RVs with flat tires were taking up half the parking lot.

The back door is locked and takes several minutes before the room card will open it. It takes one person to insert a card and another person to pull on the door within half a second in order for it to open.

The hallways and rooms smell like smoke. I got some Lysol spray and cracked the window open but that didn't help very well. The room was the size of a shoe box. The fridge was practically on the blood stained sheets. The dusty, ripped curtains wouldn't close all the way. The bathroom floor had shredded toilet paper all over it.

The plus was the bottle of mouthwash in the room. My room had a mirror on one wall, which would have been great if my lover was with me, otherwise it was just annoying and reflected too much light from outside.

Too many hoodlums running around the hotel. Parking lot was dirty, full of trash. An overflowing dumpster was an awesome sight to see.

I didn't attempt to try the free breakfast, people in there looked creepy and I had things to go do.

Upon checking out the guy at the desk told me I must turn in my key card because they're running low on them.

I decided to stay here because I needed a gross, ghetto adventure on a Tuesday night. I won't be returning. The only reason I gave it two stars instead of one is because I didn't get mugged.

Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Luv-that-farm

Travelers are raving about these Wheat Ridge hotels

Wheatridge
Reviewed June 24, 2014

The hotel is clean, however the furniture could be better. The hotel has an excellent location close to the freeway with a nice park in the backyard with fishing ponds. The rooms are very quiet.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed June 23, 2014

I am fully aware that you "get what you pay for" but does that mean in the process you have to be talked down to and yelled at by the Manager(oriental lady at front desk). I slept in a smoking room the first night and the gentleman Mike was so apologetic and promised to make it right. So I slept in the smoke and relaxed with the refrigerator next to the bed. I asked the Manager(oriental lady) the next morning about the correction that Mike said he would make and I received a tongue lashing from her and I was invited to check out and she would refund my money.(I paid through expedia). I asked her why was she yelling at me and she told me that's just how she talked! I told her that I am an adult and I would not allow her to yell at me. She began to tell me she had two grandchildren and she could talk to me how she wanted too. I told her that there was no way I was sleeping in the smoke filled room again and the gentleman promised to make it right. She told me that I would not get another room and if I didn't like it I could check out! She also said she would take my name and make sure I never rented from them again. Now do you think I would ever want to come back and be accosted again? So I told her to please spell my name right so in the event I had a brain fart and called them again they would do me a favor and not rent to me. How a corporation would allow an individual like this to manage their property is beyond me. I will sleep on a park bench before I ever returned there. However ,if not for the two guys there who met me later that afternoon and actually changed my room when I returned this experience would have been worse. Those two gentlemen should be the face of your hotel. If you are struggling for visitors I understand why. In a customer service oriented business to be accosted by this woman was beyond me. I flew 1400 miles to deal with that. BELIEVE ME when I say I am going to notify the corporate office. This lady was the most unprofessional person I have experienced in many years and I can only imagine how she treats the employees if a customer has to deal with her unprofessional ism. I was just there last weekend and I left early to catch a flight via standby before I stayed another night. You get what you pay for. This is as authentic as I can make it. I would not want anyone to experience what I experienced from this lady. If they made a change in managers there would be hope.

Room Tip: The fifth floor was a lot better than the second floor. Avoid the manager. Ask for the two gentlemen...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Andre W
Montrose, Co Usa
Reviewed June 23, 2014

The location was just off I-70 and convenient for our needs. We were assigned a room on the 5th and top floor. The clerk that checked us in was efficient and friendly, the kind we like to have wait on us. The building was of an older type and the decor was of an older feel. It did not look overly worn and was clean. Our room was non smoking but smelled like it had been smoking and they tried to clean it or was stale. Getting a window open and later air conditioning helped but did not eliminate the problem. The room had a flat screen TV, small fridge, micro wave, hair dryer and iron and appeared clean. The fridge however quit after a short while and unfortunately after we purchased some Magnum bars to have later. I went down to the front desk and informed the clerk ( a different one ) of the failure. He said he have maintenance take care of it. This was the first day there. It had not been looked at when we left . We were there two days. So first clerk very good the second did not get maintenance to fix the fridge. The Magnums melted. This would have been an average stay if not for the bad air in the room and the fridge failure. When staying at a hotel I do consider the type place I am staying. This was obviously a lower priced hotel. I would not stay here the next time in the area. There are other for similar price that should have a fresher room.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Denver Marriott West
Denver Marriott West
#6 of 18 in Golden
Days Inn & Suites Golden / Denver West

Been to Howard Johnson Denver West? Share your experiences!