“Beware of the number of dogs”

The Westin Westminster
Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Westminster
Irvine, California
“Beware of the number of dogs”
Reviewed January 20, 2014

I understand that this is a "pet friendly" hotel but this last weekend was a bit over the top. Usually you would expect seeing one or two dogs during your stay but the number here was a bit much. I had to ask if there was a dog show nearby, but was told that this was normal. Every elevator ride during the entire weekend inclduded at least one dog. The hotel has a certain distastful smell on certain floors that can only come from dogs relieving themselves in the hallways. The elevator lobby on the 10th floor smelled like a kennel but my room down the hall was ok. Also, be careful walking in front of the hotel on the sidewalks as all of these dogs have left little suprises that the staff didn't seem too worried about cleaning up. Normally when I go on vacation the last thing I want to deal with is staying in a kennel.

On a positive note the desk staff was friendly and professional. The rooms were clean but small compared to most Westin properties. I am a Starwood Member and routinely stay at Westin Properties across the county. The hotel has the standard Westin accomodations (Heavenly Bed etc..) which is always a nice touch.

The restaurant staff was probably the worst I have ever encountered. The food is fine, but the staff are not very responsive. One the first night we decided to try dinner in so we went down to the restaurant. It was about 3/4 full and we were seated almost immediately. Once seated we waited at least 10 minutes before anyone acknowledged us. The wait staff was busy in the back standing around. We were not the only table in this situation and finally had to ask the hostess if we could get a waiter. On Sunday morning we decided to try breakfast sure that what we had encoutnered was just a fluke. No such luck. Again we sat around at our table while the staff stood in the back. The place was less than half full and they had more than enough staff standing around. Finally, one of us stood up and walkd over to the kitchen to ask if we could get some service. The response was less than pleasant. Obviously we did not tip the staff. However, the food was good.

All in all, I would rate this as the worst Westin property that I have ever stayed at. Usually I have nothing but good things to say about Westin. Due to the "dog" issue I would normally have given this the lowest rating but the desk staff were great and I am sure it si not their choice to allow that many dogs in the building. I will never stay here again. Westin should rethink their policies on this one.

Room Tip: Ask to be on a floor without dogs. Save yourself the hassle of walking out of your room to the smel...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Mike C, General Manager at The Westin Westminster, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Thank you for sharing your thoughts regarding your recent visit to our hotel. I am sorry that our acceptance of dogs presented an inconvenience to you. We have a strict policy for housing and following up after pets and it seems we did not follow some of those procedures during your visit. I am equally sorry for your experiences in Kachina. Our restaurant has enjoyed consistently fantastic reviews and what you experienced is not typical of those reviews. I have forward your comments on to leaders in this area so they can ensure a similar experience is not had by future guests. On a positive note, I am pleased you enjoyed the Front Desk staff and will be sure to share your comments with them. If you are again in our area, I hope you will reach out to me directly so that I can ensure we leave you feeling that our Westin is worthy of your praise.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
St. Paul, MN
Reviewed December 11, 2013

I always like staying at the Westin for the comfortable beds and "aggressive" water pressure in the shower. This one was no exception - but it had a few differences that made it more than a cookie cutter hotel.

Lobby is lovely and open with plenty of comfortable spaces to meet with colleagues. We spent an afternoon into evening working on a project with plenty of table space to spread out. (And you can grab a drink from the bar in the restaurant and bring it over, which makes it even more comfortable...)

Love the dog - Westy, a chocolate lab - that occasionally hangs out in the lobby. Hotels should have more dogs in general, IMO.

Conference food was definitely above average, and the hotel restaurant was Mexican. And delicious! Imagine that - no bland cafe style food, although it looked like the non-Mexican food (are there such people?) were also well-accommodated.

And as a bonus - a small Starbucks in the lobby. What else do you need?

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank latte4me
Mike C, General Manager at The Westin Westminster, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
It is great to read that we took care of your needs. I am especially proud to see that you enjoyed the food at your conference. Our chefs take great pride in their food in both Kachina and the conference center and they will be happy to hear that you enjoyed it. I will also give Westy, an extra treat for you. See you next visit.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed December 11, 2013

I've now stayed here 4 times, and each it's exceeded my expectations. Staff are helpful and friendly, the restaurant is superb and not overpriced. Last trip was a longer stay and I discovered that they'll provide a fridge or microwave in the room on request - I had leftovers from dinner that I wanted to keep for lunch the next day, and I called down and 5 minutes later a knock on the door announced the fridge being installed, which took 1 friendly minute.

If you're able to get a mountain-view room it's definitely worthwhile.

Also, the restaurant is great, eat there once, but if you're staying a few days, go into Denver and Boulder for dinner; great restaurants and bars.

Room Tip: Ask for mountain view, and don't forget you can ask for a fridge or microwave if desired.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for staying with us during your last four trips to Colorado. If you did not let the front desk know that you would like a refrigerator for your future visits, please call or send us an e mail and it will be our pleasure to have it in your room before you arrive. We look forward to seeing you for stay number five.
Milford, Delaware
Reviewed December 4, 2013

The rooms were quiet even though there was a hockey tournament next door which meant tons of kids in the hotel, even still we slept soundly in the best beds in a hotel. the view from our room was phenomenal (looking out at the Rockies). the hotel was easy to get in and out of, and there was plenty of restaurants and stores nearby (TJMaxx and Homegoods is across the street) The staff was top notch! We WILL stay there again.

Room Tip: Get a room looking toward the mountains - it's an awesome view!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us. That was a busy weekend and I am glad you had a great night sleep with so much activity. The mountain views are one of the great features of the hotel. I am glad you saw them. We look forward to again having you as our guest.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed November 25, 2013

I cannot say one bad thing about this place. From checking in to checking out the level of service was magnificent. The rooms were an average size, but with nice finishing touches to give it a higher end feel. The beds are VERY comfortable. The restaurant is a fun place to get apps and a drink too. The hotel itself is very pretty and well done and the level of service is top notch. Definitely stay here if you need a place to stay in the area.

Room Tip: If you can get a room facing the mountains and ask to be on the 5th floor or higher to get a great v...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your experience. I appreciate your praise of the staff and enjoyed passing it on to the team. We are lucky to have some great people who provide outstanding service and I am glad they took care of you. We look forward to seeing you again.
Reviewed November 20, 2013 via mobile

Very nice hotel situated near restaurants, movie theater and highway access. Great service staff. Only negative was that my room was not ready at 3pm check-in and had to wait. Later learned that the Kansas City Chiefs were guests at the hotel and in town to play the Denver Broncos. Would definitely stay at this hotel again

Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
I am glad you enjoyed your visit. We are fortunate to have a nice retail area around us. I am sorry your room was not ready when you arrived. Even with a big group, we strive to get the rooms ready for all of our guests before they arrive. I am sure we will have it ready for you on your next visit. Thank you for staying with us.
Reviewed November 20, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful hotel just 15 min from downtown Denver. I definitely prefer this location over the downtown Westin. Very comfortable big rooms with amazing service. Be sure to check out Westie, the chocolate Labrador puppy!! Kachina restaurant was also delicious and served complementary breakfast for SPG Platinum members.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for continuing to stay at our hotel and your kind review. It is great see that you enjoy Kachina and Westy. We are proud to have both in our hotel. See you again on your next trip.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Westminster
Denver Marriott Westminster
Downtown
The Westin Denver Downtown
Central Business District
Four Seasons Hotel Denver

Been to The Westin Westminster? Share your experiences!