“Not the same hotel”

Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Westminster
St. Louis
“Not the same hotel”
Reviewed July 31, 2008

It's sad to return to this hotel, after having stayed here with my wife for the past few years and having had very nice stays, to come back to such a disappointment. I learned the hotel was sold and it is apparent that they have replaced their staff with low-waged employees. Through the years there has been a professional woman "manning" the concierge station. I learned she was fired. She's been replaced by high school students--need I say more. Our hotel room was a disgrace. The water glasses are now plastic instead of glass. The sheets are not changed on a daily basis. The lobby always had clutter.
I won't be returning. The Omni up the street will now be our yearly destination.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — staff
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
Seattle
Reviewed July 21, 2008

Let me start out by saying that I was originally going to give this hotel a 1 star but upped it to a 2 simply because of the customer service we received while staying here for 4 nights. The staff, especially the front desk manager Libby, went above and beyond to fix all the issues we had during our stay. Being a gold member we were upgraded to the 12th floor which is the preferred level for gold and platinum members. We were assigned room 1201 which is a corner room with a nice view of the mountains. Upon exiting the elevator on our way to the room I realized we just left a Westin and entered a Super 8. The carpet had holes and tears in it and the walls scratches and dents. Hallway lights were crooked and some almost falling off the wall. Once we swiped our keycard and entered our room I realized the fun had only begun. The carpet was very stained and all the furniture was extremely worn. The overall decor is very outdated. We did not have any washcloths so I called the front desk to request some. 2 hours later we still did not have any washcloths so I called again. After the apologies we were delivered 2 hand towels and 1 washcloth unfolded, tattered and full of holes. Had to finally locate housekeeping to get the washcloths. About an hour later we heard a knock on the door and less than 5 seconds after housekeeping came barging in to deliver 3 laundry bags which we did not even order. The A/C was not working properly as it was either too hot or too cold. After getting those issues resolved we decided to take a shower and retire after a long day of travel. While showering I noticed the water wasn't draining and the tub was filling up fast. After about 5 minutes the water was up to my ankles. We decided to retire for the evening and report the problems in the morning. That night we had the most restless sleep we ever had. The mattress was sagging in the middle and bulging at the sides. The heavenly bed turned out to be unheavenly. The next morning I called the front desk to report our problems. I spoke to Libby who is the front desk manager. She was very apologetic and offered to move us to a suite. She first had to check availability and call back. Libby called back 5 minutes later and said that there were no suites available but she could show us another standard room on a different floor. We accepted and the bellman showed up 15 minutes later with the keys. We inspected the new room located on the 5th floor and found the bed to be much better and the A/C and shower worked as it should. We spent the next 3 nights without issue. Looking back on our stay I believe the hotel should be stripped of its Westin name and the staff transferred to a real Westin where their services would be better utilized and appreciated. In closing, I cannot recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rvivian
fort worth
Reviewed July 18, 2008

We stayed a week at this hotel. The location is perfect for us. The hotel employees were a bit snobbish though. I had asked for a later check out time and after a 5 minute negotiation we got a 1 o'clock check out instead of noon. That was the best they could do unless I paid an additional 10 per hour. We stayed there 7 days and the cost was not cheap you think giving us a little more time would have been good customer service. We were there with our softball team playing at a national tournament and the hotel was full at the beginning of the week but as teams were beat they checked out. So the lobby was always full of life. We were having drinks in the lobby and the manager on duty said that he was not trying to be "snobby" but if we didn't buy the drinks from the hotel there would be a $999 fine and that is just the law. When questioned about the "law" he pulled out some kind of badge and said "believe me I know, ok?" So we moved our group to the outdoor pool area. No problem there. Housekeeping was terrible, maybe because we didn't tip. Who knows but it wasn't worth a tip. When we checked in, there was a hand towel hanging that had already been used. There was bloody mucus on it like someone wiped their nose on the inside of it. Gross!! The Heavenly Bed was very nice but I don't think the comforter had been washed in a while. There was something crusty brown on it. Several nights we would come back to the room and not have enough towels or wash cloths. Instead of waiting for housekeeping we went to the pool area and got some ourselves. The one time we called and maid and her supervisor came to our door with plenty of towels and had asked if our room had been cleaned for the day. It had been so he seemed like that upset him. The next day there were plenty. Also, be warned.... nothing, except the coffee, in the room is free. You get charged for EVERYTHING. The bottles of water waiting on the desk for you are 3.95 each. The sweet treats and snacks are also expensive. We did not open anything. There was a grocery store only a short 5 minute drive from there. I also didn't like the fact the fridge was locked and there was only a few extra available for the whole hotel. I think that only one family out of 15 was able to get one in their room. Also there was not a microwave, which would have been nice, but I guess they think microwaves are not classy enough for them. The view was wonderful from our room and considering how many teenage girls were there it was so quiet at night. The pool was a nice indoor pool but the tile around the outside was very wet and I was afraid of slipping. We would probably stay here again next year because of its location and close proximity to all the ball fields but that would be the only reason. They also run a special for the tournament so the price was better than the normal rates but still $1000 for the week. The July 4th fireworks show Westminster put on was breathtaking.

• Liked — the location, the view
  • Disliked — housekeeping and the snobby staff
  • Stayed July 2008
New York
Reviewed July 8, 2008

I recently stayed 4 nights at the Westin Westminster. I was traveling on business for a training seminar in nearby Louisville. Everyone I encountered on the hotel staff was extremely nice and helpful. They helped me with the free wireless access in the lobby as well as with directions and suggestions for sights in Boulder.

The hotel is located about 20 minutes from downtown Denver and about 15 minutes from Boulder. There is a shopping center right across the street with a Super Target, TJ Maxx, Home Goods, Panera Bread, Starbucks, lots of restaurants, and a movie multi-plex.

I used the gym twice and was quite impressed. Each of the cardio machines had its own tv monitor. I did not use the small indoor pool.

While it was $9.95/day to access the internet in your room, there was free wifi in the lobby. Only ate breakfast in the hotel once, it was fine and not overpriced.

• Liked — Location, gym, and super-friendly service
  • Disliked — Small indoor pool
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
maryland
Reviewed June 11, 2008

I stayed at the Westin Westminster for business. It is lovely and the beds are awesome. However, wifi access costs $9.95 a day. Use of the computer in the business center costs $5.95 for 15 minutes. Printing costs $.49 a page. There are no vending machines. A soda in the minibar after the room service charge, tip charge & tax [yes you pay all of that to take the soda out of the minibar] costs about $5. There is really nothing that is complimentary other than USA Today. I realize this is the trend for higher priced hotels but it's pretty irritating. I recently stayed at a Holiday Inn Express with a fine room, free wifi, free computer use, and a complimentary breakfast that included scrambled eggs, bacon, homemade biscuits etc. I continue to be mystified why it is that the more expensive the hotel the less likely it will give you anything other than a room.

• Liked — the beds
  • Disliked — all of the extra charges
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
Reviewed May 28, 2008

We stayed at this Westin over the Memorial Weekend and thought it was a nice and relaxing place to come back to after long day trips north and west. The rooms lobby was grand and filled with comfy leather chairs, although, I didn't get spend much time there. The rooms were a decent size and the bathroom was clean, but typical. What put this Westin above average was its central location to Boulder, the national park and the small towns west of Denver. It was an ideal base from which to take day trips. We mainly went on long hikes and/or drives and wanted to come back to a hotel that we can retire in for the evening. The bar was inviting and the bar food was quite nice, although very big portions. You can definitely share unless you are really, really hungry. If you don't want to eat/drink in the hotel, there are a handful of decent restaurants across the street. Some may be chain restaurants, but you have your choice of Mexican, Italian, Pub Fare, Thai and more. There is also a Caribou Coffee there that opens at 5:30am for those who want a morning coffee for your early start. For those who want to start their morning with a run, they have several miles of a running path. I didn't take advantage of that, but from my room, it looked great!

• Stayed May 2008
1 Thank Ovenbird
Virginia Beach
Reviewed May 2, 2008

I have stayed at this hotel for several years now, traveling to Colorado on business. I always felt like it was a home away from home for me. Sadly, there has been a big turnover in staff. People I have known for years who worked there are now gone. I understand that the hotel was sold. It is apparent that there has been cost-cutting. They have replaced experienced employees with minimum-wage personnel. Very sad. Also, the decor is really suffering. And continue to pay for the Internet? No. I guess it's the Omni from now on.

• Liked — Nearby restaurants
  • Disliked — service
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank pleebrick
Also consider these accommodations in or near Westminster
Drury Inn & Suites Denver Westminster
Denver Marriott Westminster
Denver Marriott Westminster
#3 of 19 in Westminster
SpringHill Suites Denver North/Westminster
DoubleTree by Hilton Denver - Westminster
Hampton Inn Denver Northwest/Westminster
HYATT house Boulder/Broomfield

Been to The Westin Westminster? Share your experiences!