“Great beer, great service, but sub-par food”
Review of Cheeky Monk - CLOSED

Cheeky Monk
Cuisines: American, Belgian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Reviewed November 2, 2012

I've been here several times as well as to the Denver location. The beer selection is fantastic if a bit pricey, but the staff is fun, knowledgable and the beer flights are a nice offering for newbies to Belgian beer.

My group also liked the Rabbit Cassoulet. We also liked the curry muscles. The frites are decent, not perfect, not the "Belgian Fries Experience" I've had at Belgian restaurants in other cities but for the Denver metro area, it's a start.

I wish these dishes were done better: Croque Madame, Croque Monsieur (the bread is much too thick and not the right consistency/ freshness and the sandwich overall misses opportunities to pack the flavor punch I've experienced with this dish at other dining experiences.)

Avoid: the Croquettes de Fromage & the Beignets. They are frankly both terrible here. Making fresh beignets from scratch is not that hard. Most people could make them better than these are at home. After ordering the beignets, the waiter informed us that the waffles are much better, so I guess next time...?

If they fix their issues in the back of house and get some better training for their chefs and cooks, the Cheeky Monk could stand a better chance at lasting success. As the palets of the Denver area improves, the novelty of Belgian food will wear off and if the food doesn't improve, the franchise will go south.

Reviewed September 15, 2012

If you want to enjoy a bit of Belgium in the suburbs of Denver,visit the Cheeky Monk. The list of beers was extensive and the waiter was well versed and able to recommend some excellent beers. Keep in mind that the food is mor like a bistro. Keeping with Belgian tradition I had mussels and pomme Frits (French fries),which was very good. Our party also ordered rabbit stew, grilled sausage and several excellent appetizers. They are also family oriented as we were with our 14 month old grandson and other tables had numerous children.
Even if not hungry,stop in for a a great beer. We ate in the patio,but the bar looked very busy

1  Thank travelax
Reviewed September 1, 2012

My brother-in-law turned me on to good quality beer and I've never turned back. In August 2012, Cheeky Monk has Pliny the Elder which is generally hard to find. They also at the St. Bernadus Tokoyo ale, which has an amazing dry finish. I could rate beer by itself.

Service was superb. The Westminster location is more family friendly vs. the Colfax location. Colfax is more downtown so it's catered to bar hoppers. Westminster is a suburb, so it makes sense. We had a 1-year old and it was no problem.

We had Bangers and Mash, Gargangoza Mussels, and Rabbit Stew -- all good. Glad we made it out.

1  Thank victorcao
Reviewed August 11, 2012

I have eaten here a few times and did not expereince any of the negative things mentioned a previous reviews. Both times I have had mussles and they were excellent. I do not drink beer but the cocktail that I had last time, which was a lemoade specialty they were offering was delicious. I also had a steak salad last time and it was good. I always request my dressing on the side so there were no issues in over bathing the salad in dressing. The steak was good. Everyone at our table received fries with their orders and there were no complaints of the fries tasting old. We ate here on a thursday night and did not have to wait for a table. The portion on the kids fish and chips my 4 year old cousin had was huge. They did not appear overly greasy, but then again, fish and chips are fried in oil. We had a table of 7 and everyone's orderly came out correctly.

2  Thank beachbreeze66
Reviewed July 18, 2012

The atmosphere and beer selection are the only reason to come to this place.

The Caesar Salad was soaked in heavy dressing like a soup and the fish and chips were super greasy and surrounded by tired, old fries. Long Long Silvers chefs-up better fish and chips.

I am not clairvoyant, but this place is going under.