“Awesome sushi & atmosphere!”
Review of The Happy Sumo

The Happy Sumo
Ranked #104 of 217 Restaurants in Westminster
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Denver
“Awesome sushi & atmosphere!”
Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

This restaurant has the best sushi up north! Their menu is extensive & unique. The decor & atmosphere is top notch! We live up north and love coming here for date night when we're not in the mood to drive to downtown. Their is usually a wait on weekends & it is a little pricey but it's totally worth it!

Broomfield, Colorado, United States
“Usually very good.”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

We have been to Happy Sumo many many times. When they first opened they seemed to have a horrible problem with terrible, rude, unreliable staff! However, after a time, they seemed to catch on to the problem and fixed it. We have not had a disappointing meal or rude server since. Their menu is adventurous, extensive, and unique. It is a little on the pricey side but that's sushi. They have a full bar. The atmosphere is nice.

• Visited December 2012
Denver, Colorado
“Food and atmosphere make up for mediocre service”
Reviewed November 29, 2012

This is my favorite sushi restaurant. The atmosphere is really nice, and I love almost everything on the menu. I love the Turtle Shells appetizer although there are usually only 4 pieces (with meat in them) total so there is not much food. My favorite rolls are Mango Mamma (I got my friends stuck on this one), and Venus role. I love the variety of the menu and I bring friends here all the time. The service is about average though, I would say in the last year I've only had one or two waitresses that were good and one of them was technically a bar tender.

I would have given a full rating if I didn't have one particularly bad experience with the service. My boyfriend's best friend is Russian and his girlfriend was visiting from Russia. We were excited to take her to dinner here because the food is so good. So his friend's English is pretty good but not perfect, and his girlfriend is learning English. She was very excited she got to practice the language she was learning.

We sat down and the server asked what drinks we wanted. The girlfried asked in English if the waitress had green tea and the watress responded, "that is the only kind we have," irritated at the question. Then when we went to order, the girlfriend ordered a sushi roll and the server asked what kind of fish she wanted. The girlfriend was a little confused (she is not fluent, and her reading comprehension is not fantastic), so the waitress threw a menu down and pointed at the item on the menu and said, "it is right there one the menu!" This service continued through the entire meal. The rest of the table would not let me ask for a different server or to talk to a manager because they thought that it was their fault because they did not speak the language well. I mostly felt bad because we were excited to take the girlfriend there because the food was so good but it ended up making her and her boyfriend feel like they were inferior, even though they probably spoke more languages than the waitress. In this scenario it wasn't even busy, it was probably 2pm on a weekday. I feel like if you are a waitress and you are asked as question, there is probably a reason why you were asked it. I might ask questions that I know the answers to, but it is usually just to clarify what I think I understand, and their job is customer service.

I ranked this restaurant so high despite this experience because the food is always 100% fantastic and the atmosphere is nice. This is definitely a good place to go for dates or just to dinner with friends.

• Visited September 2012
Denver, CO
“VIP nights make it a little more affordable...”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Good array of food. Something for everyone... those that like raw and those that don't. VIP nights make the prices a little more affordable. Great place to just hang out with family or friends and enjoy so sushi.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank alar1960
Freehold, New Jersey
“Great creative sushi”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Beautiful, but dark interior. Sushi always fresh. Very interesting sushi roll combinations. Always try to stop here when in town. Great for a date, business meal, or for a good time with friends. Excellent food, but a little on the pricey side. You get a premium meal and special feel when you dine here.

• Visited September 2012