“the perfect b&b in a perfect little mountain town”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Westcliffe
The Courtyard Country Inn
Ranked #2 of 3 Westcliffe B&B and Inns
Denver, Colorado
“the perfect b&b in a perfect little mountain town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2012

My husband and I have been visiting Westcliffe once each summer for the past 7 years. We were lucky enough to have found the Courtyard Country Inn on our first visit, and it's the only place in town that we have ever or will ever stay. Mo and John are the perfect hosts, and their B&B is incredibly charming and well maintained. Their courtyard is one of our favorite spots in Colorado — there's always a fire in the chimenae, koi in the pond, flowers all around, beer and water in the cooler, and wine served for happy hour each day. Mo and John know all of the ins and outs of where to go in town (be sure to check out the Wine Mine). Coffee and breakfast are always on time, homemade, and super delicious. The rooms are adorable and immaculate and feel like charming country cottages with wonderfully comfortable beds. If you're a B&B person and a Colorado mountain town person, you can't do any better than this!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MissKittyColorado

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2011

My wife and I spent a lovely evening by the fire at the Courtyard and had a wonderful breakfast chatting with the other guests. John and Mo were very kind and hospitable. The room and bathroom were cozy but comfortable. We would certainly recommend to other travelers.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AnotherTraveler1980
Centennial, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2011

No, not a five-star hotel, but this motel gives a feeling of comfort and peace to those who enter through the picket-fence gate. Once in, you enter a courtyard of a crazy assortment of plants and flowers surrounding the garden pool (not for swimming!) Our room was comfortable, decorated in a rather funky style, but then, Westcliffe is a funky town. We took one of the two rooms where they allow dogs, and our dog and their two had a great time together. Breakfast, cooked by Mo, is served family style, so we met the other guests there, but also around the chiminea, the toasty "fireplace" in the garden. John and Mo are delightful hosts. We definitely plan to return.
I must mention the two wonderful restaurants where we ate. First, Sangrita's, on Main Street. Convenient, and delicious. But the big surprise was The Letter Drop Restaurant in nearby Rosita. What a surprise! It was an old post office, then a biker bar, and now a high class restaurant to rival the best in Denver. Outside, the boxy shape reminded me of a trailer home. Inside, it's charming, and the food was fabulous, the service on point, and the prices reasonable.
We went to Westcliffe for an autumn hike in the Sangre de Cristo mountains. It was a lovely little weekend.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2011

I want to say ditto to all of the glowing reviews already here. Once you walked through the gate of a very ordinary looking 'motel' you feel like you have entered the Magic Garden. So very lovely with a fire pit and very accommodating hosts, not mention wonderful food. But, our beds were of some issue. The furnishings were very B&B-ish and you definitely sink into softness, which is fine for about 10 minutes. Both the beds in our rooms were seriously soft and our backs, (my sister and I) felt every minute spent there. But that was the ONLY downside to our stay here. Maybe you could address this when making reservations if this could be an issue. I loved the dogs, VERY non-intrusive. I am allergic to cats and Mo assured me I would probably never see them and I didn't, they certainly had never been in our room, I would have started sneezing immediately. Mo even took requests for breakfast for our second morning. Overall, very nice stay.

P.S. Mo suggested the bowling alley for dinner, with misgivings we went. We were wrong, great food at the bowling alley!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank TexasLight
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2011

I loved my stay at the Courtyard Country Inn. I spend a good six months of the year travelling overseas, staying at a multitude of different places, and i found John and Mo to be friendly, welcoming people who both went out of their way to make my stay enjoyable. John, a keen road travel enthusiast, spent time showing me different drives and scenic backroads to take around the area, which was amazingly helpful. Mo's breakfasts were great, and i had no issue with any of the food served (as some other picky people have mentioned in other reviews). I found the food to be fantastic.

As for the rooms (and the complaints some people have listed below), if you want a large room, with with a big screen TV and lightning fast internet, GO TO A HOTEL! I myself did not come to Westcliffe to watch TV and sit on the internet. I came to relax and enjoy the town and the scenery in the surrounding area. I found the rooms to be cosy and warm, and the internet was well sufficient to check my e-mails and check up on the things i needed to.

This is a beautiful town and area, and the Courtyard Country Inn is charming and welcoming. If you're a relaxed, happy individual/couple/family looking for somewhere relaxing and interesting to stay, this in the place.

Also: On the main street is a restaurant called Sangrita's. Chris and the locals there will make you feel at home (as they did me), and the food is good.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Sedona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2011

The most fabulous hosts, friendly, sincere, hospitable, John and Mo provide the coziest atmosphere; I can not believe any one would criticize or negatively review their Inn. The rooms are small but comfortable, breakfast is served promptly and it always fantastic!

The views and a stroll down the streets of Westcliffe outside your door is everything one could possibly ask for here. Those looking for the amenities of the Four Seasons won’t find them anywhere in this part of Colorado, and who would want them when the “Courtyard Country Inn” is there.

Personal grievances should be set aside no matter where you stay, but we can not believe anyone would attack John and Mo on the splendid service they provide, waking up to the smell of wood burning in the chiminea every morning…delightful…We can not wait to return!!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Dublin, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2010

Courtyard Country Inn

Definitely in agreement with the earlier reviewer of this 'property'. A 60s motel conversion with a fresh coat of paint makes not a b & b.

From the beginning...the website portrays a more lush & spacious accommodation, the lushness made it's appearance in the courtyard with a well thought out plan for plant life, coy pond with relaxing pond and several areas for sitting to relax or socialize.  The chiminea fired up in both the morning and evenings does tend to fill the less than spacious guest rooms with smoke as it is too close to the guest rooms area. Having only either the windows open or the 8" fan to circulate air is less than an optimal option to be comfortable. The room itself...starting in the water closet (aka bathroom) consisted of a 3x3 ft (generous) shower that had to be rinsed of previous tenant's long black hair which was also found in the floor. The toilet & sink are positioned very awkwardly as you have to step through the door, around/over the toilet to get to the sink & w/another half step to you left you will find yourself in the shower. The main room is only accommodating to a queen size bed as if there were a king bed there'd be no room for walking, your luggage or the 16" tv.  When John showed us to our room he informed us that guests sleep directly between the fitted sheet & duvet & if that was too warm there was a flat sheet in the closet...I personally have never heard of such. Now the & B of the B & B...breakfast was offered both days of our stay to consist of a fruit plate, cinnamon rolls & egg casserole. Not everyone likes eggs.  There was never an inquiry of any likes/dis-likes or special dietary requirements...you are offered what the owners cared to prepare. Then when you inquire about breakfast the next day after not having what was prepared you are met with the owner's guilt directed at you because "Mo fixed breakfast for you" making it seems though she went out of the way when in fact the cinnamon rolls & fruit were already part of the predetermined menu.  Now let's talk about the sodas, waters, beer & wine that is provided...the sign on the back of the door informs you there will be a jar on the table for 'contributions to help defray the cost'...at $90 a night those amenities aren't included. We've experienced Inns & B & Bs that ask us what we want for breakfast, what kind of fresh flowers we want, our wine preferences for less than what is charged here.  We have paid less for much nicer & much more accommodating properties, hotels and/or B&Bs.   Let's not forget the wireless network that is "all over the property".  At best, there was 2 bars available, 1 bar most of the time from the courtyard or courtyard 1 router and even then I couldn't stay connected consistently.

Hospitality is an industry of artful people who care for their guests needs, wants & wishes. They take the time to know these things and most even know why their guests are visiting (e.g. Special occasion).

I hope that Mo & John will take this criticism & put it to good use in making future guests happy with a much more extraordinary experience than we had by taking a moment to listen to your guests instead of talking about how you are making more money now with only your single agent real estate business (yourself) and the b & b versus having 5 agents.

• Stayed September 2010
2 Thank Rick E

Been to The Courtyard Country Inn? Share your experiences!