“9th Wonder of the World”
Review of Bishop Castle

Bishop Castle
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Kilgore, Texas
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“9th Wonder of the World”
Reviewed September 18, 2012

I just happened to see a picture on Google Earth of this amazing castle and just had to go see it in person and I was not let down. It is hard to imagine one man building this classic one of a kind building ove rthe last 3 decades. I climbed up to the top of the right tower as high as I felt safe. When climbing in the "ball" the structure began moving and I decided to head down. The stained glass windows cast an eery, but pretty shadow from the early morning sun. The views from the towers were amazing with the aspens turning bright yellow. If you are in the area, I woulsd suggest the scenic drive to see this unusual structure.

Visited September 2012

Kansas, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Seriously - Go There”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

When the owner of the motel we were staying at said we HAD to go see the Bishop Castle, I thought "Well, at least it would be a pretty drive." As it turns out, the castle was well worth the journey. It is rather amazing what one eccentric and determined man can do. As I walked in and around the castle was how much fun it would have been to have discovered it as a child.

Visited September 2012
Rancho Cordova, California
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Must see”
Reviewed September 10, 2012

This is a unique and fun site. Hand-built over the last 30+ years by an eccentric man, this is a main tourist attraction in the area. Locals make sure to go every few years to see what's new. It's always changing, always growing, always amazing!

Visited October 2011
1 Thank Scott806
Sheridan, Wyoming
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Waste of Time”
Reviewed September 7, 2012

I feel apprehensive about writing a review when my experience seems to differ from the average rafters, but I really do not understand what people are enjoying about this place. The castle looks like a strong gust might take it down. It looks hand built and I do not mean in the old world craftsmanship way, but the builder does not own a level way. I did not find the castle visually striking or any testament to one man's endurance. To be honest the word that comes to my mind for the place is pathetic. This is an odd endeavor of a man who wants to promote his fringe political views.

10 Thank GloryConway
Westcliffe, Colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“One man's dream makes for an exciting visit!”
Reviewed August 14, 2012

One man has spent 30 years building a dream. You won't be disappointed with this little adventure. Just down the road 3 miles is San Isabel Lake State Park. It is the perfect place for a picnic.

Visited July 2012