“Solid Choice for Lodging, but a Little Noisy”

BEST WESTERN Rambler
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Walsenburg
Moore, Oklahoma
“Solid Choice for Lodging, but a Little Noisy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2012

The Best Western Rambler in Walsenburg is a good lodging option for travelers on I-25 and those coming from/going to the Alamosa area.

Located just off I-25 a mile north of downtown Walsenburg, it’s easy to reach and is close to stores and eateries in the main section of town.

The property consists of two sections…an older one-story “motel-style” complex sits along the periphery of the property, with a newer two-story “hotel-style” building in the middle. Rooms in the older section have exterior entry doors, while rooms in the new building are accessed from interior hallways.

The front office, lobby, and breakfast area are in the two-story building. Our room was located in it.

Our second-floor room had plenty of walking-around area even though it contained two queen beds, a work table and a cabinet. The large flat-screen television was mounted on the wall, eliminating the need for a big entertainment center. This saved a considerable amount of space.

A refrigerator and microwave sat in a perfectly-sized nook near the front entrance. The combined vanity/bath was compact but clean with plenty of the usual amenities. The staff was evidently thinking ahead...we asked for an extra set of towels and were advised housekeeping had always puts an extra set of towels in a dresser drawer so visitors would have plenty.

We found the beds comfortable but the sleeping area was somewhat dark because two free-standing lamps were the only lights available. Television reception was very good but relatively few stations were offered.

The breakfast bar offered a variety of typical items, ranging from cook-them-yourself waffles, cereals, breads, boiled eggs (in the shell), etc. But that's not all. Hot breakfasts are served by an attendant at a small bar in the corner. Options rotate through the week, and include cheese omelets, breakfast burritos, and the selection we received: biscuits and gravy.

Both were well-cooked and hardy…we’re accustomed to tiny pre-fab biscuits in hotels but these were much larger than normal, with more meat than usual in the gravy.

Our stay was generally pleasant, but we found this hotel pretty noisy. We heard children running around the halls, adults talking in adjacent rooms, and a lot of clomping and stomping. I mention this because we've stayed in other locations with rambunctious patrons that were much quieter because the construction was more substantial.

We also heard a lot of slamming doors, but that may have been a necessity…our door wouldn’t shut completely unless pulled very hard. Other rooms may have had the same problem.

Aside from these glitches our stay was good and we’d certainly recommend this hotel to anyone needing lodging in the area. The staff went out of their way to be helpful, the facilities were clean, and the breakfast tasty. At the price we paid, a room here is a good value.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the central building if you want an interior door, and ask for a room on the first...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
bwrambler, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN Rambler, responded to this review, March 16, 2012
Thank you so much for your well articulated and thought out response. We always like to hear what are guest thinking, and you went above and beyond. We strive to make every guest's stay as pleasant as possible. I am going to talk to our maintenance to see why our doors don't shut so easily, maybe that would help the "slamming" noise.

Again Thank you for your response, we hope to see you again in the future

Front office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Denver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2011

I stayed here for one night this week and I am surprised with some of the negative reviews for this hotel. The front desk staff was friendly, helpful, and understanding (allowed a 1-hour late check-out). The breakfast had a personal touch (made-to-order breakfast burritos). The internet service was free and fast. The price point was right where it should be. The room was clean and I will stay here again in the future. Hotel is conveniently located right off of I-25.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank mtngirl37
bwrambler, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN Rambler, responded to this review, November 30, 2011
Thank you so much for your review, we truly strive to make our customers happy. We hope to see you again in the future.

Pittsburg, Kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2011

The AARP price was $90 + tax and was not worth that price. The rooms were clean but small. The beds & bedding were comfortable and the small area in front of the bathroom had a refrigerator, microwave, and coffeemaker. The lights in front of the hotel were so bright they came through the curtains and the AC cycled on & off throughout the night. The rooms were not very well insulated so we could hear the neighbor snoring. All in all I would pick another hotel next time.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
We apologize that your stay was not satisfactory. We will be using your feedback to improve and we hope that you will consider staying with us again.
Thank you for your time and your review.
Apache Junction, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2011

2 queen beds in a special pet wing. only $10/dog sounds like alot but we have paid $20/dog NR. We have seen 100 NR.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
bwrambler, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN Rambler, responded to this review, September 21, 2011
Thank you so much...I so enjoyed meeting your "puppies" I hope the rest of your travels was fun.
Dodge City, Kansas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2011

Just thinking about writing this review makes me quite angry. This was the first Best Western I had stayed in, and the lady at the front desk (I believe she was the assistant manager, or at least the manager on duty) was so rude upon check-in that I was irritated just to be staying at that hotel.

When we checked in, she wasn't the most friendly person I'd ever seen, but I've seen worse. However, when we checked to see if we could have a room with two queen beds, she went on a rant about booking on Priceline, saying that they're just trying to take your money and even though it's affordable, you never get anything with it and that rooms with double beds are never included in that rate. Furthermore, she said that if we wanted two queen beds, she would charge us an additional $20/night to get that. Let me tell you this: if the hotel was actually full and had more than five cars in the parking lot, I might get that. However, when hardly anyone is staying at your hotel because it has a ridiculously HIGH price for this class of hotel, and you should have extra rooms with two beds that you can book your guest in, you do it, if for nothing but the sake of customer service. This woman's only saving grace is that she recommended a decent restarant in town that we ate at. However, her rudeness and lack of customer service skills shined through and ruined that hotel experience.

On a good note, the hotel has a decent breakfast. It includes the normal continental breakfast items, but also included a hot breakfast sandwich which was prepared by a nice woman (THANK GOD) that tasted pretty good.

The room was decent, but it wasn't the cleanest I've stayed in... I won't go as far as saying it's dirty, but it just needed to be maintained better. The flat-screen TV was a nice touch, and the bedding was nice, but the wireless Internet did not work like it should have... That's to say that I decided to forgo the hotel's routers and use alternative means of getting connected (thank god for data connections on phones...).

Overall, if we had not received such a rude welcome, I probably would have rated this hotel better. It's not the best hotel I've stayed in, but it's not the worst.

And let me continue about the manager: if she's going to start talking like she's the expert on what is ALWAYS included with rooms booked on Priceline, then she needs to start doing more research. We have never - not even once - had an issue with booking on Priceline, whether through the full-rate or "Ask your own price" scheme, and the fact that a podunk hotel in a dinky town in Colorado thinks they can get away with this, offering rooms on Priceline so they can actually fill them and get some sort of rate from what would otherwise be an empty bed, and then CRITICIZE the customer for using that service... is simply unacceptable and hypocritical. She could have said it's the company's policy and explained with a smile that she was sorry that's the way it was, but she did not - she chose to be rude and abrupt about it, which as you can imagine was not appreciated in the least bit.

To conclude: if that witch at the front desk is gone, we might consider staying here again. Otherwise, we'll be taking our business elsewhere - customer service is important to me, and this hotel absolutely did not deliver.

Room Tip: If you use Priceline at ALL to book a room, you will have to pay $20 extra to get 2 beds.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank lukebunker
We have had staff changes in the past 3mo and now are confident that we have a nice friendly team of honest people who strive daily to provide a nice stay and experience for our guests.
Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2011

We stayed two nights needing to be in southern Colorado for a family event. The bed was comfortable plenty of pillows , The A/C worked well. TV only a few channels so not much to watch. The food egg breakfast sandwiches looked good and the gravy biscuits my husband said was very good. The dining room lady is really nice and a good cook.
I was a little disappointed in the price even through AAA. This time of year I would expect it to be a little less as there were very few customers there. Most rooms had no cars in front. There is only fast food next door and a gas station so it is a distance to Walsenburg and there is not much there to pick from either. But if it is only a stop on the interstate it works.
They do have newer rooms but I did not see an elevator so it is stairs.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jesse58
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2011

Got a price quoted when we called to book directly with hotel ~ upon check in was asked to sign a form for our car and asked about rate on sheet (as it was different from what quoted over phone) OWNER was standing right there and said "price will be adjusted upon check out, CC is only to hold room and for incidentals". Upon check out, very rude front desk manager, Greg took my CC sitting on the counter in front of me as I am looking in my purse for my quote and ran it before i could look up! Then hands me a receipt for the wrong amount!!! I start to explain that this is not correct or OK and he shrugs and says too bad! I ask for a manager, he says he is it, I ask for the owner, he says he is not there. The owner appears two minutes later as I am upset and talking a bit louder. LONG story short, owner says he was very busy when I asked about price at check in, will not adjust price or even try to meet 1/2 way!! I am left with warning people about this and disputing the charge on my CC. If Greg still works here ~ RUN AWAY as the owner appears to be working hard to keep him there! Another guest who saw the incident and was outside when we left said Greg had charged them an early check in fee, but when they asked the owner, was told there was no such charge, so they think GREG pocketed it!! Way too much drama!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank 33388Girl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Walsenburg
La Plaza Inn
#1 of 1 in Colorado City
Rio Cucharas Inn
Rio Cucharas Inn
#6 of 7 in Walsenburg

Been to BEST WESTERN Rambler? Share your experiences!