“Just keep driving...”
Review of La Plaza Inn

La Plaza Inn
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Walsenburg
Reviewed June 29, 2014

The room was clean, but needed some TLC. The rugs had snags all over and the wood floor needed refinishing and was very creaky. Our shower head was completely broken off. It actually flew off the wall when my husband turned on the water, almost hitting him. We would have asked for another room but it was very late when we discovered this. They offer complementary breakfast, which is nice, but did not serve it until 8:30 and we had to leave sooner than that. They do have an area in the hallway with danish and cereal, but found the packaged danish had expired a week ago. The train is very loud, and if you're a light sleeper it will wake you up. The Inn is also near the police station. Luckily our AC unit was pretty loud so it drowned out most of the noise. Next time we won't even stop in Walsenburg, we will keep driving to Colorado Springs and stay there.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed June 4, 2014

We were traveling home with a group of 7 from a mission trip. We were looking for an economical and clean place to stay, what we found was far above our expectations. The rooms were spacious and extremely clean and comfortable. Karen met all of our needs. Breakfast the next morning was hot and delicious. Eggs, sausage links, pancakes, fresh fruit, coffee cake. We left totally refreshed and nourished. Yes the train tracks are close by and you do hear the whistle, but for our group the Inn's offerings far surpassed the train whistle.

Room Tip: All 4 of our rooms were wonderful. We arrived late and Karen asked that we be quiet to respect the...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 3, 2014

My husband and I stayed in this lovely Inn for one night on our way to Denver in May 2014. We both enjoyed our stay. We had dinner in the cafe and it was very tasty. The staff was very friendly and we had a wonderful hot breakfast and it wasn't waffles. The only drawback was that it was close to the railroad, but it was not that bothersome. I would stay at La Plaza Inn again.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed May 22, 2014

"America moves by rail" and you gotta love trains or keep on looking for a place to stay because they seem to be rolling right through your hotel room.

I wanted to rate this higher than I can because I enjoyed the courtesy and friendliness of the owner, I applaud anyone trying to make a commercial go of it in a town like Walsenburg, and because everyone tells me the restaurant is great. But the restaurant was closed (quite reasonably) on Sunday and Monday so I didn't get to try it. It, and the bar, had been heartily recommended to me by long-time locals. Maybe a great restaurant/bar experience would have bumped La Plaza up a notch.

The room, in fact, the whole inn, is a throw-back to, I guess, Victorian or early 20th century times. Very "decorated." The decor in the public spaces and the room's wall hangings and iron bedstead are all of that era. If you don't like this frilly style, don't stop here. The bed was fine, the pillows were fine and the linens were clean and fresh. And it was all (except for the window sill) very clean.

The carpet was very, very old and worn (but clean). The room was quite warm. I guess late May is still winter or spring because, after failing to get the window open, I found the air conditioner . . . on the floor of the closet. The room had a high ceiling and I ran the ceiling fan all night and it was o.k., but still quite warm.

Then there are the trains. I love trains. One of my grandfathers was a RR engineer. My favorite motel in Gallup, NM is the favorite partly because the trans roll through the night - nearby. But, from my room at La Plaza, it didn't seem that they were nearby. It felt like the trains were rolling down the hallway. It was a short block and a half to the crossing. Two longs, one short, then one final long blast of the horn: three separate series for each passing train. And I'm a very heavy sleeper, but they woke me up at least five times between 11:30 and 6:00.

There is very little to choose from for lodging in Walsenburg and very, very little as you move further west. I appreciate the owner's efforts at an old site and I wish I had had a shot at the restaurant. It was clean and comfortable (but warm and incredibly noisy with the trains).

Your call. The quality of the bed and bedding was a real bargain at ~$69.00.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Niwotois
Reviewed May 16, 2014

My friend, wife and I went for dinner at the hotel. What a nice period hotel. With just a little less of the flowery curtains and doilies (spelling?) it could be even nicer. Nice people serving and the food and wine were quite tasty. My wife enjoyed her linguini. A little investment in more comfortable seating in the dining room and a facelift could make this a Rockies jewel.

Wish we had stayed at the hotel overnight. Will do next time..

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed May 4, 2014

La Plaza Inn is a lovely old hotel in Walsenburg, CO. The restaurant is excellent. We both had the NY Strip steak, ranks among the top 20 steakhouses we have been to. Side dishes were equal to the steaks. The bad news is the location, 2 blocks from a railroad line and the trains go buy about every hours all night. It is to be expected since Walsenburg is a historic railroad town. The other low point was our bed. The box springs squeaked so bad that it could be heard in the neighbouring rooms. If it weren't for the bed and train it would be a 4 1/2 star stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 28, 2014

This hotel is old BUT well cared for. Karen, the owner, manager etc. is both friendly and helpful. I was concerned about size and condition of my room so she told me to go upstairs and take my pick of 5 different rooms. They were all in great shape. Difficult decision! I asked if the restaurant served vegetarian food and she assured me they would take care of me. At supper Karen (now, a waitress too) told me that she had made a vegan soup that afternoon. The whole meal was wonderful AND meat free. The only downside was trains coming through town during the night and blowing their horns ala My Cousin Vinnie. Bring some ear plugs but don't pass on this gem of a hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Walsenburg
La Veta Inn
Inn at the Spanish Peaks
Rio Cucharas Inn
Rio Cucharas Inn
#5 of 7 in Walsenburg

Been to La Plaza Inn? Share your experiences!