“Don't stay here!!!”

Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Walsenburg
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Don't stay here!!!”
Reviewed August 21, 2012

My family and I boat at the lake down the road from the hotel. We normally stay at the Best Western in town (which is awesome) but they were booked the night we needed.
When we got to the hotel there were dogs running around and following us into our room. I had my grandaughter at the pool throwing a blow up beach ball into the pool. ( I wouldn't let her in the pool because it was so mirky you could not see the bottom. It was disgusting)
The dog grabbed the ball from her and started knashing his teeth and destroying the ball. It made me afraid for my grandaughter and took her back to the room.
The room was dirty and the beds were unmade and had dirty sheets on the floor. The tv wasn't working either.

When we went to breakfast the next morning at 8:45 the place was locked up tight. No one got breakfast that morning. My husband went back to the hotel later on that day to get a refund for our second night (we wouldn't stay here another night) he got very defensive and said someone called in sick.
Our friends had a horrible experience in their room and did not even stay the night but drove to Pueblo at 11 pm to find another room. I'm sure their review will be on here soon.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank Estygirl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Shawnee, Kansas
Reviewed July 3, 2012

i was an evacuee from the Waldo canyon wildfire on 6/26/12. left with just my luggage in hand, two very frightened children and luggage n hand. All hotels between Colorado Springs and Canon City were booked. AAA finally found the Rio Cucharas Inn. I drove an hour and a half to get there, and never was anything so welcome. Raymond who was working the front desk was kind and conceerned and make quick work of getting us in our room, we were pretty beat. The next day, the owner, Leroy Salazar, met us at our front door, asked if we were alright and if we needed anything. Directed us to the breakfast area and some very welcomed coffee. The kindness and concern for not ony me and my family but others who arrived after me was amazing. Something we don't see enough of anymore. To Leroy and his staff, I give a big thumbs up and highly recommend if you are around Walsenburg, Co, stay at this hotel. Great little place with some great people running it. Thanks and give them a try. The kids loved the owners dogs.

Room Tip: All rooms are facing the same direction with a beautiful view of the mountains.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Brenda G
Taylors Falls, Minnesota
Reviewed May 27, 2012

Well I have to say it was a welcome site to find the Rio Cucharas.
And an awesome mornng view with my coffee : )
The owner was more than helpful with any thing that I needed.
I loved his "pups" but I am a big dog lover anyways.
The rooms are done in a bit of old spanish style...which I liked...no complaints here.
I think if you are looking for a casual, relaxed place this is it.
I read some of the "reviews" and thought some were being a BIT picky...but each person has their preferences.
I have NO complaints...and enjoyed my stay!!!!!

Room Tip: The lower rooms are nice because you can just walk out and enjoy the view and walk to the lobby...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Rebecca L
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed April 5, 2012

We stayed here with our two children on the way to Great Sand Dunes National Park, along with 3 other families. It is directly on the highway to the park, but don't worry about the road noise. Instead, you'll have to contend with an extremely smoky lobby, large and enthusiastic dogs free in the lobby "welcoming" you, a staff that doesn't know how to use a computer and tired rooms in need of refurbishment. After we checked in, we were informed that the pool wasn't open (one of the reasons we booked this place), it doesn't open until May. Upon further review, this is listed on their website, but why is an indoor pool closed in the winter? What's the excuse for the hot tub?

The room we booked was the "Executive Suite." We paid $40 more than a regular room to have an extra bed for one of our kids. The room was up some hazardous stairs, several of our party tripped on some outdoor carpet on the way. The floors on the second floor are uneven, inside and outside. The room itself was tired and worn, but did have a charming corner fireplace. The room contained no extra bedding for the fold out couch, so we had to go ask for bedding. The clerk brought the bedding up and made the bed. He also offered to bring us wood for the fireplace. Why isn't that in the room already? It felt like an imposition to ask for the wood. I wouldn't mention it, but it is a major selling point for the room. The room was cold and we fired up the heater. Unfortunately, as the night went on it was roasting in the room and it was tough to find a happy medium. Lights from the outside came in even though we closed the blinds. Our friends had a harder time with the lights and actually went outside to unscrew them. The furnishings in the room need a revamp, especially the mattresses. They are hard and I had sore shoulders in the morning. Breakfast was decent, with frozen waffles, fresh fruit, danishes and oj. Better than nothing.

The hotel feels overpriced for what you get. Try a hotel closer to I-25.

Room Tip: Go look at it first! The first floor may not have lights shining into the rooms.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank kryptogram

Travelers are raving about these Walsenburg hotels

Walsenburg, Colorado
Reviewed December 15, 2011

We stayed at the motel for seven weeks while waiting to move into our new home. The managers and staff were extremely friendly and helpful and we loved the down home atmosphere. It is an older motel but the rooms were clean and nice and we loved the fact the rooms were so large. We enjoyed going down for the continental breakfast and found ourselves sitting down there, drinking our coffee and talking to everyone.
We watched over those seven weeks the managers working hard to give everyone what they needed in their rooms and make sure that they were all happy.. I would recommend this motel to stay at. If you are looking for the ritz...go to a big city, but if you are looking for a family friendly, warm and inviting motel that feels homelike, the Rio Cucharas Inn in Walsenburg is it.

Room Tip: If you are staying long, ask for the presidential suite. But all the rooms are quiet and easly acces...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank danelle81089
Fort Worth
Reviewed October 5, 2011

My family and I had to attend a funeral in the local area and selected this property. We stayed there Friday night 9/30/2011 through 10/2/2011 and I can assure you that we will never stay there again. We had rented 3 rooms. The first room had rat droppings and blood on the bathroom floor; the second had feces on the bathroom floor, a refrigerator from the the 1960's and when just walking into the room you did not feel it was sanitary and then there was our room - It was a doubled bedded room and when I pulled back the sheets that evening I found hair and other debris in the bed. Obviously they had not changed the sheets from the previous guest. Additionally, when I went to the front desk (before 10:00 p.m.) to address this issue the door was locked and they had a note on the door telling guests to call this local number. I did and thinking that the person would come to the hotel entrance door to meet me, instead about 5 minutes later they pulled up in their car with a BIG dog. The person who showed up, started questioning me about my room. It was bad enough that I didn't think the rooms were acceptable, meaning they did not look at all sanitary, they have furniture that is at least 30 years old and has not been well kept; the rooms do not look like they have been maintained at all; the TV remotes(on all 3 rooms) had the batteries taped onto the remote where the back was missing, the carpet looked like it hadn't been cleaned in years; the bed spreads were at least 20 years old and propbably not washed in that many years either; then the bed mattresses were worn out from not having been rotated on a quarterly basis ( like you are suppose to for a motel/hotel) and on and on. Additionally they were suppose to have a continental breakfast starting at 7:00 a.m. Well there were at least 20 plus people waiting for someone to open up the front lobby for guests to get their continental breakfast that Saturday morning and no one showed. Many guests tried callilng the phone number posted on the entry door (same one I called the night before) but no one ever answered. The front desk staff appeared to be on something and they smelled like it too! I believe this property should be closed down by the health department. I hope anyone that hasn't yet made arrangements finds somewhere else to go. I would not recommend this place to anyone.

Room Tip: Find another location to stay. This hotel is not a good place to stay.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank FortWorthFmc
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed August 11, 2011

Not business accommidating at all. Internet cutting in and out.
Looks better outside than in, thanks to the mountains.
Rooms are from the 70's, so is the rest of the place.It is quiet but the beds are so old and uncomfortable. Not clean at all. Thats the worse of it.
Lobby smelled like cigarette smoke so bad it was gross. Takes forever to get checked in.
Management is not business like people.
Continental breakfast, well better off going to pay for breakfast.
Not much of secure rooms, doorknob lose, keys for entry.

Should be worth about 40.00 a night.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
6 Thank CMTE63
Also consider these accommodations in or near Walsenburg
La Plaza Inn
River's Edge Bed and Breakfast at Dodgeton Creek Inn
The Cuchara Inn
The Cuchara Inn
#1 of 2 in Cuchara

Been to Rio Cucharas Inn? Share your experiences!