“You must eat here”

La Plaza Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 24 Restaurants in Walsenburg
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Already listed as hotel (La Plaza Inn) but this is also a restaurant so it should be listed as both a hotel and a restaurant, or have a separate restaurant listing so that people who pass by and want a meal (like we did) also can find it.
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Down Home folks. Mary, our waitress was awesome. Make sure you have some of the bread. There is a bar. I had Shrimp Scampi and was one of the best I have had. The phone number I listed is on their brochure so don't know if that's the hotel or the restaurant. Next time through, we will try to stay at the hotel.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

We spend the night in Walsenburg and had dinner at the La Plaza Restaurant. I didn't expect a vegetarian option from such a small town but was pleasantly surprised. The $12 vegetarian pasta dinner was very well prepared and came with salad and dark brown bread, there's a full bar, I enjoyed the house selection of wine with dinner. The meals are home cooked and come with a slow atmosphere so be prepared to enjoy table conversation and the finer attribute of lingering.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Most Walsenburg restaurants are pretty no-frills, so the La Plaza is a nice break. Lunch is served in a library, with bookshelves full of old books, antiques, and other interesting knick knacks. The menu is varied, the chili verde good, and there are vegetarian options, such as a homemade veggie burger that is darn tasty. Dinner is served in a more formal room in the back, with outdoor seating on a patio plus a full bar. The menu again is varied, with everything from burgers to seafood to steak. The waitstaff is experienced and pleasant. I gave it three stars because we ordered martinis and were charged $10 each (always ask ahead). They were good, but not worth $10. BUT, the big thing was that my glass had a chip—about a quarter of an inch break at the rim. I mentioned it, the glass was taken from me and replaced with a new one, with the remainder of my old martini in it. So if there were pieced of glass in the drink, I got them back. No apology, almost a bit of irritation from the person I take to me the owner or manager, who just plopped the new glass/old martini onto to table without saying a word. Felt a tad rude to me and interfered with what would otherwise would have been an enjoyable evening out.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

I enjoyed my meal here very much. Had the elk sausage plate as an appetizer, and the sausage was amazing. When asked if it was local, the waitress checked with the kitchen and indeed it was, from an elk farm in Del Norte in the next county over. The salad was fresh and crisp and included tomatoes which tasted very local/fresh as well. My entree was 'white fish' (I forgot to ask what it was but I'm guessing cod) with homemade relish, wild rice and hand cut veggie mix. It was all absolutely delicious. I was highly impressed with the fish - I am a Maine coast native with high expectations for seafood, and do not expect great fish in the center of the continent. But this was well good, not at all 'fishy' tasting, and obviously fresh. My only regret is that we were too full for desert, which I hear are all homemade. Prices were very reasonable, and the ambiance was high class. La Plaza is a gem in a great little town.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

Terrible food. They would'nt know good Mexican food if it snuck up and bit em' in the butt. The service was as bad as the food.

2  Thank David J