“Pathetic room for the price/points - go get a condo”

Vail Marriott Mountain Resort
Ranked #15 of 30 Hotels in Vail
Reviewed February 20, 2014

I stay at Marriotts an average of 240 days a year. I take several international vacations to Marriotts.

The one at Vail is downright terrible for the pricepoint.

Pros:
Location is good - about a 5 minute walk to the gondola.
Ski Valet service is nice and free
Bed is decent (the beds at the Jackson, MS Marriott are way better, to put it in perspective)
Humidifier, mini refrig in room
Balcony is nice

Cons:
RIDICULOUSLY SMALL. As I am sitting here typing this review, my dell power cable extends the entire length of the room (from bed to wall where the tv is).
Towels are similar to what you would find at a Days Inn.
$30 resort fee per day? This is NOT a resort.
Sales manager badgering me to pay $150/nt extra to upgrade to a suite
$599/nt. Do you realize the condo I could get for $599/nt for a studio sized condo??

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
4  Thank Kyle D
Brian H, Director of Room Operations at Vail Marriott Mountain Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2014

Dear Kyle D,
Thank you for providing your detailed review on Tripadvisor. I am very sorry to hear you felt our rooms were very small. Please know we do have over 12 different room types available to purchase and with such a wide selection we feel there is an appropriate room type to fit everyone's needs.
We do also offer a resort fee which has many benefits; wireless internet, two complimentary drinks in our Pub, cookies and cocoa after skiing, ski and boot storage, ski valet, just to name a few. I do hope you will stay with us when your travels bring you back to Vail. Please feel free to reach out to me directly so I may assist in ensuring you receive the room type you need.

Reviewed February 19, 2014

I'm a Marriott Platinum member, so I've stayed in my share of Marriott's over the years and this is the third time over 10 years I've brought my family here. Until now, we've always been very satisfied.

It's been a few years since our last visit and unfortunately what had the feel of a modern mountain retreat ten years ago is now an overprice, haggard property with uneven service. The lobby still greats one with a nice atmosphere and we found the front desk to be helpful, although they could do nothing to get us into our rooms before 3:00 in the afternoon. This by itself is understandable given we were arriving after a holiday weekend, but it foreshadowed the worst aspect of the property--the housekeeping. We had adjoining rooms and during the course of our stay our rooms were never made up (I purposefully don't use the word "cleaned") before 4:00. When paying this much for a hotel room, its really disconcerting when you return from a great day of skiing only to find your room hasn't been touched. Thus we were in the room when the staff finally got to our room and I witnessed the complete lack of cleaning. I can only hope they do a better job when they turn over the room.

Other disappointments were a deteriorating physical plant (water damage evident on ceilings) and rooms featuring furniture seemingly from the '90s.

It still has a great location but ultimately I left feeling the property is a major renovation away from being worth my consideration in the future. For now, it's off the list--especially for the money.

Room Tip: Cookies with Hot Chocolate and Cider are a nice amenity each afternoon in the lobby.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank William W

Dear William W,
Thank you for providing your detailed feedback. Please know your feedback as a Platinum elite member is very important to us. I am very sorry to hear you were disappointed in the condition of our Hotel, as well as housekeeping services. Please know we strive not only to meet all of your expectations but exceed them. I am very sorry we did not meet your expectations and I do hope you will give us another try when travels bring you back to Vail. Please contact me directly so I may assist in any way possible.

Reviewed February 16, 2014

Full service resort, so do not expect to do anything but relax.
From registration, to spa, to bar and restaurant staff, to check out/bellman/concierge – entire staff very friendly and attending to our every need.
Small Starbucks coffee shop, breakfast buffet, first floor bar and dinner menus offered a variety of beverages and entries to satisfy us through the trip.
Of course having concierge service to bring skis and board to and from lifts and store overnight was not too hard to accept.
Upgrade to a suite with fireplace was a nice gesture by the front desk manager to offset our greater than normal drive up the mountain in a snow storm.
Would I recommend this hotel – YES!

Room Tip: All rooms have mountain views.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank ChicagoDon

Dear ChicagoDon,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review of our Resort on Tripadvisor. We are glad to hear you had an enjoyable, relaxing stay! We hope to see you back in Vail soon! Thanks again, Brian Hunt

Reviewed February 9, 2014

From the time we checked in at 5pm (rooms were guaranteed to be ready by 4pm, but none were available) it was disappointing. Our luggage didn't arrive in our room for 30 minutes (after 3 calls), the room was not cleaned or restocked for 2 days (I had to beg housekeepers I found for clean towels), there was mold in the shower, young screaming children were running down the hall at 4:30 am, friends of ours heard a small dog barking next door and the hotel staff seemed disinterested. There was a strong "bro" culture in the lobby and bar.....I learned way more about the bartenders life than I ever wanted to know while waiting for a drink. At the end of our stay they lost my skis. They now charge daily for internet (even in public areas) and for water and your "welcome cookies". All this for $450 a night!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank ABWSPC
Brian H, Director of Room Operations at Vail Marriott Mountain Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2014

Dear ABWSPC,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your detailed feedback. I am very sorry to hear the details of your stay. Please know I have shared your comments with the entire team as we continually strive to improve. I encourage you to contact me directly when your travels bring you back to Vail so I may assit in any way possible and ensure you have a stay where you experience the type of service we are known for. Again, I thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback and allowing us the opportunity to improve.

Reviewed February 9, 2014

We stayed here on points but I understand folks complaints about value if it was $600/night I am not sure my rating would be as high.

Here is the deal though, you cannot beat the location and the most important part of a ski vacation for us is that the beds are comfy. This Marriott gets high marks for both! Especially the beds - ultra comfortable.

The hotel is a little tired but it gets hard use. Lots of kids and the elements impact the wear and tear on the facility. We liked the hotel and will return. We only spent one night so we didn't get to take advantage of all of the amenities.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kristy S
Reviewed February 4, 2014

To start of, please understand we are marriot platinum members and only stay at marriot properties so it's with a heavy heart that I write this. This is not a rush to judgement post...this is our second time staying here and our last. The hotel is starting to get dated, sure the lobbyi looks nice but the overall feel is off. I was surprised to see a 4 diamond rating tonight that's for sure. I'm laying in bed and looking at electrical tape covering part of the smoke detector, a drop down ceiling over the bathtub is partially broken. If we were paying $189 a night at peak season it would be one thing but at $599 they should be ashamed.

I could also complain about the lack of upgrade and up selling tactic they use for the platinum members but that's another topic for another time.

To sum it up, spend $599 a night somewhere elsewhere that's for sure

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
6  Thank DrJack72
Brian H, Director of Room Operations at Vail Marriott Mountain Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2014

Dear schneids33,
Thank you for providing your recent review on Tripadvisor. I am very sorry to hear you did not think our hotel was a good value. Please know we are in discussions with our ownership group identifying areas of the Hotel that may need improving. As a Platinum member we value your feedback and do hope when your travels bring you back to Vail you will stay with us again. Please feel free to contact me directly so I may assist you in any way possible.

Reviewed February 3, 2014

2nd time to the Marriott Vail. Overall a good stay, friendly and helpful staff.
We upgraded to a Studio King and had a room facing the mountain - very nice vistas.
Good walking access to the bottom of the Lionshead gondola - they will bring your skis over and back.
But on the flip side:
- my brother, who paid full price for one night to visit us received a terrible room
- EXTREMELY expensive room service.
- skimping on shampoo/amenities even when asking for them:
- housekeeping not very thorough
- bar without real ambiance

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a mountain-facing room!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank TooFrequentTraveller

Dear TooFrequentTraveller,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your review. We are certainly delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. We also are quite disappointed to hear your brother did not enjoy his room. Please know I have shared your comments regarding room service pricing and our room amenities with our entire team in an effort to continually improve. Again thank you for taking the time to provide your review and we hope to see you back in Vail soon!