“Great place”

Vail Marriott Mountain Resort
Ranked #15 of 30 Hotels in Vail
Reviewed June 10, 2013

My daughters and I stayed here for a night during the GoPro mountain games. We really enjoyed our room. Everything was very clean and nicely done. The hotel itself is very pretty and quite relaxed. All the staff was friendly and helpful. We enjoyed lounging at the pool. The pool area is nice, with pretty views to the slopes. The whole setting is park like and away from the hustle and bustle from Vail. Yet there are always free shuttles to take you right into downtown Vail. An enjoyable experience!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed June 1, 2013

This is a perfect location for a mini vacation. We visited three days over the Memorial Day Holiday, The weather was perfect and the location un-crowded. Staff at hotel very helpful. Bus that runs back and forth from Vail Village stops right in front of the hotel and there is a Starbucks in the lobby.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a mountain view. It use to be that the same rooms had a view of the river but si...
Reviewed June 1, 2013

This was my 43rd Birthday...I really enjoyed myself. The hotel was very nice, the hotel staff was very pleasant. I really enjoyed the hotel store, the female employee was very knowledgeable and she got me on a BIKE....Oh my it was just fun all around fun. Riding on the bike trail looking at the creek was just amazing, over looking the mountain tops with snow still on was also just amazing. The villages where also wonderful to walk through and shop. I got me some nice Boots..by Jessica Simpson-burgundy/blk JS-CHAD. just so much fun

Room Tip: make sure you call with your reservation to make sure you get the room of your choosing and with a h...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Just got back from a three night stay at the Vail Resort. The staff was great, we had a very nice time, the area is wonderful. The hotel very clean but shows signs of wear. It's located at the end of Lion's Head Village. There is a shuttle (free) bus system is Vail that is awesome it runs about every 15 minutes we used it several times. This was a down week in Vail, lots of shops and restaurants closed for a few weeks to get ready for the summer season. It was still nice to check it out. The hotel room was nice, the bathroom was VERY nice, we had a fire place in our room but had no desk or work area so we didn't care for that. The hotel was not very busy, my one complaint was as a Lifetime Platinum at check-in they are suppose to upgrade you to the best room available, this is something they didn't do! We realized several rooms had balconies which would have been great, didn't discover that until the night before we left. I was very disappointed. The loyalty didn't help at this resort. We did have trouble with the hot water, it just took awhile for the water to get hot but eventually it did, I didn't even mention it to the front desk. They charge for parking, $20.00 a night but the public parking is free in the summer and its just a 5 minute walk or you can take the shuttle to the parking garage, a nice summer feature for guests staying in Vail. We ate in the bar area which was very nice, the food was OK, service was great. There are two pools one inside and one outside. The Lobby area was nice, there is a large gift shop that sells lots of ski equipment plus lots of other items. The hotel is just a 5 minute walk to Lion's Head Village if you don't want to take the shuttle, I am sure in the next few weeks it will be extremely busy, they claim that their summers are very busy! Our rate was very good, I can't complain I just think the resort needs some TLC. The also sent up wine, chocolate covered strawberries and a box of candy for my birthday which was very thoughtful. My biggest tip would be to checkout the room type, for us the fireplace was a white elephant that took up space. Did not use the Spa Services so I can't comment on the Spa.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony overlooking the mountains!
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We've stayed at the Vail Marriott Resort three times now & plan to go back. We like going during the summer because the rates are great, the crowds are less & a lot of Vail restaurants have specials. I'll have to be honest - it's hard to find anything wrong with the Vail Marriott, so my review is a little more informative. Here goes.

We are elite status with Marriott & got an upgrade to a one bedroom suite. It had a living room, two bathrooms, two closets, two TVs, a nice size entry with coat hooks and a fireplace. The room did not have a balcony, which was my only disappointment. I believe they have that room with a balcony but didn't have it available for us at check-in. The front desk staff did say we could switch the next day if a balcony suite was available, but we didn't want to change rooms. Our room was in a keyed vestibule with a neighboring room. That seemed kind of strange. We literally had to unlock two doors. At the same time, it would be a good set-up if you are traveling with family & you could just keep your doors open and still have an outside vestibule door. For reference - our room was # 657.

The room we had, though, was fantastic. The living room couch made into a bed, and with the 2 full bathrooms, it would've been perfect for a family of four. Our room faced west towards the Ritz Carlton. Even though it wasn't considered a "mountain view" the view was just fine. There's mountains all around so we were pleased. (see pictures I'm including of our view). The bathroom set-up was great (my husband & I each had one!). The bedroom one had a shower & tub and the living room bathroom only had a shower. There was also a small fridge, sink, microwave & counter area. The two TVs were also nice, since I could see leaving the kids in the living room area to watch something. There was a door between the bedroom & living room. The fireplace was great - even during May. It came on by pushing one button & was on a timer. For the winter - I could see where it would heat up the room nicely. Otherwise, it added to a cozy experience. The bed was extremely comfortable & the bedroom was very spacious. Generally, I thought the entire room was in good condition, well-maintained, clean & comfortable. There were also robes in the room. Even for my picky taste - I really thought it was lovely.

In terms of the rest of the hotel... the lobby is great - lots of comfortable & stylish seating. The lobby bar is also a nice atmosphere. We did not eat or drink there on this trip but have before. The work out room is also good. The treadmills have TVs & there's a good mix of weight machines. There's also fruit available in there. The concierge was helpful & provided a list of the restaurants offering spring / summer specials.

The lower level indoor pool and hot tub are probably the only areas I would say need a little work. The hallway going to the indoor pool appears old & run-down with ugly flooring and such. The spa is also down there & didn't seem to have a nice atmosphere given the dumpy walk to the treatment rooms. I thought their spa menu was reasonably priced but did not use the services. Other than that, I would honestly say I love this hotel. The staff is friendly (as they should be), the location is great and we have always gotten a good summer rate.

A note on the location - the Vail Marriott is in Lionshead, not Vail Village. We actually like that because it gives us a nice walk to Vail Village. There's a streamside paved walkway & there are also free buses to Vail Village. The Lionshead gondola is about a one / two minute walk from the Vail Marriott. The gondola opens in June & is great for taking a summer scenic ride. There are also a few good restaurants & some shops in Lionshead. It still has the same feeling of Vail with the style of the surrounding buildings, but you are definitely not in the "heart of Vail Village."

Room Tip: If a balcony is important to you, ask for it since not all rooms have one. I would not fret too much...
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I used about 100,000 of my Marriott Rewards points to stay here for 3 nights the week after the President's Holiday. I also checked out how much it would have cost us if we were paying rack rates..... onward of $600 per night! Still, it takes a while and money to build up points.

While our stay was good, I think I would have been really disappointed had we paid full price. Don't get me wrong, the property was nice and the service was great but I couldn't help but think if it were really worth the price tag during the week after a "peak" occupancy time??

I guess I was under the impression that the hotel was right in Lion's Head Village - it was a little across the street, down the road a bit but still close and an easy 5 minute walk. We didn't really have a view of anything except the street (one of the reasons I would not have been happy had we paid full price) and the Spa wasn't really a "Spa". The mattresses were on the firm side but the linens were nice and the room wasn't the most spacious but still comfortable.

We ordered daily in-room breakfast which was expensive ($5 for a banana!) but it was good. The Spa wasn't relaxing at all because you could hear kids running up and down the halls to the pool, so its a good thing they have GREAT massage therapists that give a killer sports massage at the end of a long day of riding.

The Avalanche Pub that is lobby lever has really good food and live music. We ate here a few times because we were craving the pot roast. Definitely eat here at least once, even if you're not staying at the hotel. Its a perfect casual dining price point too.

All in all, we would stay here again but would probably ask for a better room. I would also want to check out one of the multi-bedroom suites if traveling with family or friends (might make the price more bearable). I would also price watch so you're not disappointed.

Room Tip: I think it might be hit or miss on a "good" room
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JJandAdice
Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a conference in May. Rooms are large & comfortable, although a bit dated. Shuttle to local shops was nice, as well as the valet parking. Food served during conference was excellent. Overall, a fine resort but needs refreshing inside and out.

• Stayed: May 2013