“Misleading Room Description: King Studio”

Vail Marriott Mountain Resort
Ranked #15 of 30 Hotels in Vail
Reviewed November 22, 2011

I traveled to Vail for Thanksgiving with my children and husband. The description of the room says that it sleeps 4. I expected a Marriott layout like at the Heavenly resort: pull out sofa in living room and separate bedroom. Not the case. It's a small room and not suitable for 4. Perfect for couples. Not so much for families unless you get a true one bedroom in the $700/night range.

The service throughout the hotel was excellent. Anything requested like dishes, extra blankets, etc were immediately tended to. I needed help to scan and fax a business document and the front desk assisted me eagerly.

The breakfast buffet is average. Basic, no variety. I did enjoy my omelet.

Vail Village has great shopping, restaurants, and so many ski trails that it would take a while to grow bored of this place.

By all means stay here. Great hotel. Just leave the little ones at Grandma's.

• Stayed: November 2011
2  Thank TravelBears
Write a ReviewReviews (1,148)

Reviewed November 18, 2011

I will start from the begging the valet service was nice and very fast. The lobby was also very nice and the check in was very easy. When we got to our room it had a nice clean feeling to it and well decorated. The bed was a little hard for my liking, but everything else was above expectations. I would stay here again for anything (Business, Family, Etc..).

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RelaxedYo
Reviewed October 30, 2011

The Marriott is a value choice. Not much mountain style vs other options in Vail, and not right in the heart of the après ski action. The room wasn't very interesting. For the low 100s rate I paid, it was great. In ski season, it would be somewhat disappointing.

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed October 27, 2011

We wanted to try this hotel during the off-season to see if we'd like to shell out the big bucks during high season. We got a good rate of $135 per night, and we were upgraded to a Timberline Suite (TA reports say that upgrades are the norm during the off season). We have a great view of the mountain and the room is spacious and very comfortable. We have a living room with a fireplace, a kitchenette (No utensils, however...had to buy plastic bowls, forks, spoons, etc.), a shower and bathtub, a spacious bedroom with another fantastic view of the mountains. The suite also comes with two humidifiers which we greatly appreciated. We get the USA and the local Vail newspaper delivered to our door every morning. Instead of paying the steep cost of parking here, we parked at the nearby Lionshead parking (covered parking), a short five minute walk away. Another great benefit of the hotel is the shuttle bus which stops right at the entrance to the hotel. It will whisk you anywhere in the Vail/Lionshead area. This is very convenient as there are numerous stops throughout the villages. While we were here, Vail had it's first major snowstorm. It was awsome sitting in front of our fire watching the snow fall. The next day the roads were clear. The hotel includes an outdoors hot tub and heated pool. It also has a large fitness center and an onsite laundry facility. The downside was there was construction downstairs (the quaint looking pub was closed), but I suppose they need to do this before the high season begins. All in all, this hotel has been convenient and a pleasant surprise for us; we'd definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade. Also request a high floor mountain view.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jdmckay
Reviewed October 21, 2011

Stayed here for a week long conference that involved some learning and a lot of skiing. My room wasn't ready at check-in, but they made every arrangement to make it available ASAP. I had a first floor, corner suite that was a very nice room, but the view was horrible--I basically was a basement window and the side window looked onto a service drive--needless to say I pretty much only slept there. The room was huge, king bed, fireplace, kitchenette, large bathroom with shower and hot tub. The room was worth the price, but the view kind of stunk, luckily I was getting reimbursed for the conference.

The only food I had at the hotel was through the conference, and it was all very good, I'm sure similar things are provided in the restaurants.

The ski shop was great, and very helpful, especially for my friend who was a novice skier. The prices were good for rental equipment, though the demo skis were in pretty bad shape compared to demo skis at other resorts I've stayed at. The hotel isn't right on the mountain, it's about a 2-3 minute walk to the gondola, which isn't a big deal.

I'm sure there are nicer/fancier hotels to stay in Vail, right on the mountain, but this place is legit, and very nice as well.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a view.
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank DoctorsK
Reviewed October 17, 2011

I attended a conference at this hotel. Found the front desk person to be a bit snotty when she argued about putting my rewards number in for both rooms reserved and paid for on my credit card. She finally relented but seemed put off. The room was nice. Needed some slight repair but nothing major (burnt out light and broken shower edging). The room was clean. The restaurant was good and the conference facilities were nice. Used the town shuttle a lot to get around. It was very convenient. The wireless internet was really fast. The store was a bit expensive but the staff was very friendly.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a fireplace if possible.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 16, 2011

We stayed for a wedding, didn't get the room type we requested, so my 6'5" husband and I had to sleep in separate beds...front desk manager gave us bfast both mornings to make up for it, which was very nice of her. Breakfast buffet was really average, definitely not worth the $15 they were charging...go elsewhere for bfast. We were in a standard room, nothing to note, just average, hallways were a bit shabby, although they say they renovated. No free wi-fi except in the lobby...really? Welcome to the 21st century people. Valet or onsite parking unbelievably overpriced...you have to park in the public parking facility and walk back or take a shuttle that comes every 20 mins. VERY inconvenient, but that's why we don't go to Vail...no parking anywhere, they've built on every square inch of open space, so there's no room for parking lots even if you wanted one. Concierge recommended Billy's as one of the few places open for dinner (off-season) and they were doing 50% off on entrees, so we decided to give it a whirl, after being told it was 'like a Chart House'. Not even close, and you get what you pay for. They were out of most of the beers they normally offered, my steak was cooked poorly, and the 'steamed vegetables' that came with all entrees were raw (can you think of a more flavorless way to cook veggies?) They want $15 for their salad bar, which was very plain and average, don't bother. Disappointing...skip it if it's recommended.

Room Tip: Apparently, you have to pay extra to 'guarantee' the room type you request.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple