“Feels like you're coming home”
Review of Lodge at Lionshead

Lodge at Lionshead
Ranked #2 of 41 Specialty Lodging in Vail
maryland
“Feels like you're coming home”
Reviewed February 24, 2011

We have been coming here for the last six years. As Lionshead has grown and new hotels/condos have cropped up, there are plenty of choices for us. But we love the familiarity of this hotel. The condos have been renovated with new kitchens and baths. Each place has a little balcony. The bedrooms are well appointed with flat-screen televisions. There is a nice private pool in the back. We are 5 minute walk to the slope and a 5 minute car ride to the food store. We leave our skis in the lockers they provide. Anything we need, the front desk accommodates. We will keep coming back to the Lodge at Lionshead.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Reviewed February 23, 2011

Condos are individually owned and decorated so there is a big difference in the quality of the units. The online photos are from the nicer units. When our family arrived in February, 2011 we were put in a unit that was not nearly as nice as the one in the photos. Worse yet, the unit was CLUTTERED to the point that we were uncomfortable. Christmas decorations, including a full size tree, were still in place. If you want to know more about the clutter, read the last paragraph of this review. We asked to have some of the clutter removed from the condo (particularly the Christmas decorations) and were told that it was not possible as the unit was individually owned. However, they were able to move us to another condo after the first night. The second condo was gorgeous and comfortable. It was the one featured on the website. It is possible that all the clutter in the first condo would not bother some people, but we felt as though we were staying in someone's attic. You might think this was an isolated incident, but we were one of 4 families skiing together and staying at the Lodge at Lionshead. Three of the four 4 families switched condos after the first night - one because their unit did not have a washer/dryer as promised (and it was dark and dingy), another because the unit did not have the bed configuration they needed and had been promised, and, of course, us. The Lodge at Lionshead can be comfortable and it is well-located, but you need to be careful about what unit you get. I would stay there again, but I recommend you ask for photos of the specific unit you are reserving.

A comment about service: We were told that we could switch to the second unit AFTER coming in from skiing. So we did not pack out things. For some reason, the people on duty that day decided to move us while we were out. When we came in from skiing, most of our stuff was gone. It had been moved to the second condo, but we did not have access to the second condo because it was still being cleaned. We had nothing - no street clothes, no shoes, no toiletries. In fact, my prescription eyeglasses were missing. They had been taken from the middle of the dining room table. The staff made it clear that they expected us to disappear for couple hours so they could clean both units at the same time, but we had nothing to wear besides ski gear. When I complained that expecting us to hang around for a couple hours without access to a condo and our stuff was unreasonable, I was told that check-in time was 4 pm and that I should have skied longer "like most people do". I explained that I was already checked in and I had already paid for the day (we spent $7000 for 5 nights in a penthouse condo at the Lodge at Lionshead) so it was reasonable that I have a condo to use that afternoon to shower and relax. Then, I told the staff that I could not promise to vacate the first condo by 4 pm anyway because I had teenagers out skiing with their friends and I would not leave until all my kids were in from skiing. The staff questioned why I would have my kids go to our condo after skiing. When I asked them where I should have told them to go after a day of skiing, one suggestion was to have them go to the lobby. After a couple of hours, when we finally had the kids together and moved to the second condo, it took HOURS to disentangle all our stuff that had been tossed randomly into suitcases. I spent over an hour looking for my eyeglasses (found in a bag in a random suitcase) and even longer trying to find our car keys (taken from a coffee table in the first unit and tossed into a back pack belonging to one of my kids). I lost a day of my vacation through this botched move. All of this discomfort could have been avoided by proper communication among the staff members and us, but it was clear that the staff's only conern was to get all the units changed and cleaned by 4 pm (even though no one was coming into our first condo that night). There was no concern about our comfort nor our stuff. In general, the staff at the front desk are friendly and helpful, but they botched this move. I spoke to the service manager when she came on duty the next day and she was wonderful to deal with and she understood the issues. I do not think this kind of service mess up will happen again, but I have no choice but to give a low service rating based on my experience.

Description of the clutter in the first condo: Christmas decorations were everywhere (including a full size tree). Every counter was full of stuff - wooden fruit, cook books, dried flowers, dried corn, a wire sculpture of a bicycle, etc.. In one room, the coffee table was a stack of antique sleds which we were afraid to touch for fear they would fall over. A wine rack in the dining room was filled with empty bottles - that may be someone's idea of decor, but it looked like trash to us. The one closet available to renters in the master bedroom had rolled up scraps of carpet, framed posters, and empty boxes in it. There was a "decorative" antique ski boot with barbed wire on it - not safe if someone were to fall on it. Even the washer/dryer had stuff packed around it - had we needed to wash clothes, we would have had to move stuff out of the way to open the doors to the washer and dryer.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Gale55
VailTelegirl, Manager at Lodge at Lionshead, responded to this review, February 25, 2011
First and foremost, this guest is absolutely right in terms of our staff botching the room move. We did, and cannot apologize enough. This was an isolated incident where our normal “procedure” – moving packed luggage and groceries while guests are out skiing for their ease and comfort – went very wrong. It is unfortunate that every employee involved compounded each mistake that day. Making our guests’ experience at LAL a great one is something we take personally and it shows in our 50% repeat customer source of business each year. To have something this terrible happen saddens all of us to the core.

We expressed our sincere apology to the guest numerous times, had one of our concierge staff go over to help locate items like the misplaced keys, and refunded their first night’s stay in full. We realize this does not make up for our mistakes that day, but have tried to do everything we can to help remedy the situation.

We would love to have this family back at the Lodge and have the opportunity to make their future stays at LAL something wonderful to remember.

With regards to our condos, they are all individually owned and decorated. The property averages a 4-star platinum rating and is the highest rated condominium property in Lionshead. We do realize personal tastes will vary and if a guest is unhappy, we do make every effort to find a more pleasing condo.
Woodmere, New York
Reviewed February 10, 2011

The Lodge at Lionshead is one wonderful property on the mountain in Lionshead village.
Their staff is wonderful and I would highly reccomend this property to families , friends and groups

• Stayed January 2011
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed February 9, 2011

I travel for business monthly on average, and I'm very picky about my accommodations--even when it's a ski trip. I am so lucky to have found the Lodge at Lionshead. The location--steps away from the lift that gets you to Vail's back bowls--can't be beat. The rooms (I've stayed in two different ones over two different trips) are spacious and impeccably clean. I've stayed in a number of places while on ski trips, and the Lodge is by far my favorite. The staff is incomparable--I've found a new home away from home. You would be so lucky to stay here!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed February 9, 2011

I have been in Vail for surgery 3 times in the last 16 months and each time I choose to stay at The Lodge at Lionshead. I found the proximity to everything was within minutes. I would recommend this place to anyone. Great staff, quiet, clean, underground parking, affordable, and many different choices of rooms to stay in. I plan on going back there in the Spring of 2011 for more surgery and some relaxation. Can't say enough positive comments about this place!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Teaneck, New Jersey
Reviewed February 9, 2011

LAL is my favorite place to stay in Vail. Walking access to slopes and to ski school, great people, beautiful condos. The combination can't be beat!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Portland, OR
Reviewed January 9, 2011

Images on the web site were markedly better than the unit we received. Our group spent over $6000.00 for 5 nights at the lodge at Lionshead. We travel as a group every year to various ski locations and have stayed at much nicer places for the cost. Additionally, the advertised wireless internet rarely worked. I would recommend spending your money elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends