“Exceeded expectations”
Review of Sonnenalp

Sonnenalp
Ranked #1 of 30 Hotels in Vail
Reviewed September 20, 2007

Stayed here just one night on a small road trip through Colorado. This hotel exceeded our expectations. Great convenient location able to walk to everything in town. Staff was extremely courteous with every question. Loved the room, we went with just a king room but size was great and bathroom was large with a neat shower. Small balcony overlooked parking courtyard, nothing special as to the view but we were mostly in the town. Turn down service was nice. Price was decent compared to Vail and Denver for the type room.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
There are newer reviews for Sonnenalp

Reviewed September 10, 2007

After a 5-day stay in Breckenridge, we headed to Vail for more Colorado fun. Sonnenalp is a pretty, full-service hotel, and we looked forward to some relaxation and pampering. We had booked a 2-bedroom suite, and Sonnenalp graciously upgraded us to a bigger suite, with 2 bedrooms, 3 incredible bathrooms, living area, and 2 decks. The suite was clean, with nice furniture. The marble bathrooms, with heated floors, were outstanding. From our decks, we had gorgeous views of the mountains. The hotel has a beautiful spa area, including pool, hot tubs, and bar. Our rate included a wonderful daily breakfast. I had a great massage in the spa. We loved hanging out in the spa area, and found it to be the best public spot in the hotel. A nice touch is the fruit that can always be found in the lobby.

We were able to borrow bikes from the concierge desk, which was a surprise. The hotel could communicate better what is included in the rate - we were left wondering what other amenities we could have enjoyed for free.

The hotel seemed either slightly understaffed or incorrectly staffed. One night, we had to use the little bit of Spanish we know to say no to turn down service - at 9:30 PM. We were traveling with a 2-year old, so this was a bit inconvienent. Valet parking was continually a nightmare. I think they ran out of parking spaces each day (in August - what is this like during peak ski season?!). To get your car into valet, cars would be lined up on the road in front of Sonnenalp, creating a lot of congestion. On top of our $800/night rate, they charged us for daily parking and also a babysitter $20 for the 4 hours she was there. One final note on staffing: breakfast had a lot of slow-moving bus staff, and not enough wait staff (who were constantly running around helping the bus staff clear & set the tables). On a positive note, all the wait staff and the hostess were incredibly nice to our 2-year old.

If the hotel could address the valet parking, amenity communication and under/incorrect staffing, I would have given this property 5 stars. Overall, we enjoyed our stay at Sonnenalp and recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank DianeTravels
Reviewed September 8, 2007

As a Leading Hotel Of The World one expects perfection. They have lost that. The staff, here for 18 months then back home, are for the most part good, it is a nice touch to have European Staff. With the exception of Hispanic maids that are afraid to talk to you. When we booked we asked for village view, sure enough right above the parking lot! The next morning no hot water! The front desk gave me a so what attitude, I asked for the manager. A good old New Yorker, she jump right on it and moved us to a suite on the other side of the hotel with hot water. Still a nice place, great food, good service, but overpriced and has lost the LHW luster.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kantelecircle
Reviewed June 26, 2007

This European style hotel is one of the best I have stayed at. The hotel is in a nice location just a short walk from the village, bike and hiking trails. The property is not huge but because of its location it does not need to be.

What I loved about this hotel

·The setting around the pool area (I just felt like I was in the Alps laying by a creek enjoying relaxing).

·The European feel of the whole property.

·The breakfast buffet (the buffet is very similar to what you might find in Germany and they will even make soft boiled eggs when requested).

·The room (we received a free upgrade for no reason and the room was so comfortable and at night I could hear the creek running).

·The service was the best I have ever had at a hotel property (we received free bike rentals, upgraded room, the best breakfast buffet I have ever had included in the price of the room, late checkout and whenever we wanted something like a coffee maker for the room it was there in a few seconds).

·The hamburger I had at the Bully Ranch restaurant (if you enjoy indulging in a hamburger every now and then this is the place to go , it was so good).

·You feel valued at this hotel, and they don’t over charge you for food. For instance my hamburger was only something like nine dollars (they give you choices).

Overall, I just loved this hotel and felt the service was fantastic. I am picky when it comes to hotels and I don’t think one can go wrong with this property. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who enjoys a beautiful comfortable setting, delicious food, cozy rooms, and fantastic service.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank malyko
Reviewed June 17, 2007

We stayed here for just one night, but it was a lovely experience. The room was immaculate, the bedding superb, and the breakfast that was included was awesome!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank hmorgan13
Reviewed May 28, 2007

Every request was immediately addressed. Entire staff gets an A+. We stayed in a Mill Creek junior suite. It was oddly configured with bathroom, closet, and living area on main level and bedroom (no closet or bath) upstairs. However, it was quite comfortable and immaculate. From the balcony we could enjoy a view of the pool area and creek. My only complaint is that the desk did not have a lamp and the promised NY Times was not delivered.

The restaurants are adequate, but nothing special. The breakfast was good. We ordered room service three times and it was always on time and good. We enjoyed the evening entertainment in the bar a great deal. The spa is quite good. I had an excellent massage and reflexology treatment.

Since the property is attached to Vail Village, we did not need our car during our 3 night stay. When my husband played golf, the staff insisted on driving.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank fancyn
Reviewed May 15, 2007

We found this property via TripAdvisor, it was #1 ranked at the time we booked and it did not disappoint. My wife and I visited Vail the last day of ski season there, so we got a great rate on the room. The property itself is very well maintained, with an Austria meets Colorado lodge feel to it. My wife is very particular about the accommodations we use on vacations, and she was more than happy with the Sonnenalp.

We had a Lodgepole Suite, which was very spacious and included a small terrace, fireplace, and heated marble floors in the bath. The staff was very attentive, especially the car valet who frequently responded very quickly to our request for our car. The breakfast was included and had all the usual selections, both hot and cold. It was served in their beautiful sunroom, which, in warmer periods I'm sure is even more breathtaking. You must use the spa facilities. I used the weight room (more than adequate) and the steam room, complete with a "cold dip" plunge area afterwards (exhilarating!). The pool area includes an indoor and and outdoor pool, which are connected. There's also a great sitting area there complete with an open fireplace for lounging afterwards.

The Sonnenalp is truly a great place for a relaxing get-away. But remember, the end of April through the end of May is "mud season", and a lot of the shops and restaurants are closed until summer (which was a little disappointing).

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple