“Great Hospitality, Beautiful Hotel”
Review of Sonnenalp

Sonnenalp
Ranked #1 of 30 Hotels in Vail
Miami
“Great Hospitality, Beautiful Hotel”
Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

This is a beautiful, gorgeous Hotel in Vail Village. The staff is superb, from the Concierge, the front desk, to the bellhop. A truly magnificent ski resort to spend the holidays with the family. I truly enjoyed the top notch service, from checking in to check out.

Stayed December 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
La Jolla, California
Reviewed January 25, 2014

I loved staying at the Sonnenalp. It was a fantastic experience and I would definitely stay there again. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The breakfast buffet was incredible. I had to take a photo of my hot chocolate - it looked as good as it tasted!! It has a nice lobby bar with live music every night. We had home made cookies delivered to our room every night. It was truly a unique experience...I'm so glad I found the Sonnenalp and that the reservation agent convinced me to stay there instead of some place else! Highly recommend it and wish I could go back...only one little mishap with housekeeping.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank 272marcies
Naples, Florida
Reviewed January 18, 2014

We made last minute plans, literally the day before we arrived and got a great AAA rate with breakfast included from Jan. 11th for three nights to take advantage of the 10 inches of fresh powder. The Bald Mountain suite (519) was much larger than the suite we stayed in about three years ago. The staff was friendly and I loved the little ski house/basement space near the mountain lift to put your boots on and they store your skis and boots overnight. The breakfast buffet was outstanding every morning and we sat on the terrace area for the best views. We tried to eat at the Bully Bar one night but it was too crowded and ended up going to their Swiss Chalet and eating at the bar. We had one of our best meals in Vail at the bar area there, do try it. We will return a third time for a short weekend trip again, but would not stay there long term, better to rent a condo for longer stays.

1 Thank alex3485
Princeton, New Jersey
Reviewed January 18, 2014

We have stayed in many different venues in this area over the years...condos with the kids, hotels without the kids. I have to say that Sonnenalp is head and shoulders above all the hotels we have stayed in. The atmosphere is European with wonderful breakfast buffets. The staff are very well trained compared to others which employ seasonal help of marginal competence. The rooms are spacious with fireplaces and the best feature is radiant heated floors in the bathroom. Lighting is a bit dark. As compared to others, there is ample stowage space for skiwear and regular clothing. There is a ski storage area right at the gondola where the staff is efficient and helpful. It is however a trek to get there from the hotel especially returning at the end of a long day skiing.

Room Tip: Chose a room overlooking the courtyard. Other sides face the streets.
1 Thank Frank P
Munich, Germany
Reviewed January 15, 2014

This has been the 3rd time that we made the 8000 miles trip to stay at the Sonnenalp Hotel for our winter holiday. Not only is it totally worth the trip, it is every time every day an experience. Not only do they offer everything you'd expect for a hotel of this category, they manage it to make it special each single day. They seem to know that it is the people who make service special to the guest. All staff members we've had contact to were excellent; we however want to specially mention Ram and Stefan from the breakfast buffet. They both set an excellent example for how service should be.
You really find hardly any criticism about anything; if I really had to mention any, I would prefer if they wouldn't allow dogs in the hotel, but that's a personal thing.
We're already looking forward to our next stay at the Sonnenalp!!

Wynyard
Reviewed December 31, 2013

.......is move it about 800 yards closer to One Gondola!

Since I think that's a bit much to ask of even the ever-helpful and charming Sonnenalp staff, I guess we'll just have to put up with the walk.

I decided to upgrade to a Junior Suite which worked quite well as it meant I had a fire (albeit gas rather than wood) to dry and warm my ski gear. It was nice but not that big.

One of the things I do like about the Sonnenalp is their range of restaurants. I really recommend the Swiss Chalet for something different/special. I do love playing with/cooking my own food and their range of raclette and fondue options are great.

I used the spa and outdoor hot tub for the first time. They were nice (but the men's sauna was way too cold).

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank JohnDougall
Vero Beach, Florida, United States
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Truly a great "boutique" European Hotel. Family run since the 80's. Great food venues, everything from fine dining to burgers for the kids. We love their Swiss Restaurant. We have tried many other hotels in Vail, but keep coming back to the Sonnenalp. There is never an issue with anything. We have stayed here at least 15 times without one hitch. The Fessler Family is always there to greet you. You can pay more but it won't be as good as the Sonnenalp, we know we did!

Room Tip: We like the Creek side.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family