“Very nice!”

Ranked #1 of 30 Hotels in Vail
Phoenix, Arizona
“Very nice!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

This is a review that I forgot to write last year. I enjoyed my second stay at the Sonnenalp much more than the first. The breakfast was excellent, the staff friendly and accomodating, and the room very nice with a great view of the stream, pool and woods. I will be back!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

Absolutely gorgeous property that has done an impeccable job of carrying its brand identity throughout the resort, from staff service to furnishings to cuisine to the tiniest details and fixings in the room. We never did get the radiant heating in the bathroom to work, and the elevators are comically slow. Otherwise, not a complaint.

Room Tip: We had a gorgeous suite on the 5th floor with sitting area and huge bathroom. The ceilings are a bit...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank NellDD
Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

Just completed a 5 night stay with my wife. The service, room, morning breakfast with our favorite newspapers, and ambiance were over the top. At breakfast we had a visit from a fox that came right up to our window.
I have been coming to Vail since the 70's...the Sonnenalp offered the best overall experience!
The complementary picnic on the top of lift 11 is a must.
We hit the hot tub located in the luxurious spa every morning before skiing.
We can't wait to come back...but for a longer stay next time.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tim C
Norwalk, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

My wife, my teenage son and daughter, and I just returned from a 5-day stay at the stellar Sonnenalp in Vail. From our experience booking our stay with the hotel's reservationist, Debbie, to our bellman's, Jamie's, greeting and service, to the warm greeting given us by Raphael at the front desk as we checked in, we felt welcomed as old friends despite this being our family's first stay. Our rooms were spacious beautifully furnished and well looked after by the accommodating house staff - including providing us with a carafe of water and cookies each evening.
Our kids liked the well equipped fitness room while my wife and I enjoyed both the outdoor and indoor hot tubs. The breakfast buffet each morning was a treat, especially all of the fresh fruit and egg dishes. We all love skiing and Vail is the best resort around. The hotel's ski concierge staff couldn't have been more helpful in keeping track of all of our equipment and storing it right next to Gondola 1.
As we were driving away on our last day, we all agreed that the Sonnenalp was the best ski resort hotel we had ever stayed at. We look forward to returning.

2 Thank Alan S
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Thanks for your kind review Alan!

I am so glad to hear you and your family enjoyed everything the Sonnenalp has to offer.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Vail in the hopefully not too distant future.
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

WOW - what can I say. The Sonnenalp has exceeded all my expectations & please trust me you will not get this level of service & detail anywhere else here in Vail.
As a Mandarin Oriental, Four Seasons, Savoy or Plaza Athenne Paris girl I am used to 5 star hotels in every country I travel. I was slightly nervous about booking 8 nights here by giving up the Ritz here. After passing the Sebastion on the way to Sonnenalp I was pleased we did not chose there either, as it's tucked away with no space or views.
We are currenty in a Vail Mountain Suite on 2 levels. It's very spacious, lovely soft carpets, soft cozy beds and pillows and a large balcony with views directly to the slopes & over looking the creek & hot tub/pool area. The space that this property has is quite spectacular.

The detail here has not been missed which is what I judge my stays on. These guys know service and level of luxury and do it well. This is evident in the breakfast which is an enormous buffet of loads of fresh fruit, cereals, eggs done many ways, fresh juices and great coffee.
We ate at Ludwigs tonight and the food was excellent. This would be their fine dining restaurant and they did not disappoint, especially with 80+ pages of wine choices!!
They have private SUV's which can drop you at the edge of the ski hire area and ski school below the slopes & lifts. Rather than bus or walk I would suggest just asking concierge when ready to leave & a driver will take you there and pick you up when finished.
Overall I do not believe even the big names hotels will be hear the size of your room or level of detail, so if you are looking for first class & top notch accommodation you will not be disappointed with the Sonnenalp.
Our family has decided that the Sonnenalp will be the start of new family tradition to come to Vail each year from Australia and bring our family. Only 7 more nights left and it will be hard to leave!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the creek or the main mountain should be requested. If you can upgrade to the 2 bed Mou...
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Thank you so much for choosing the Sonnenalp Hotel! I was certainly very excited to read that you noticed the level of detail we try to provide to all of our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back for another ski trip!

Please do not hesitate to contact me should I be of further assistance.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

Just returned yesterday. This was the maximum we had ever spent on a hotel BUT worth every penny. The hotel is central to Vail activities, right in the middle between Golden Peak and Lions Head. The free shuttle stops in front of the hotel. Beautiful decor, wonderful breakfast and staff.... Just amazing. Always smiling and willing to help in anyway and everyday that they can... All of them but must mention Jeff (Valet), Kelly (@reception) and Valanska (@ concierge, hope I spelled the name right). Hope management knows how special these people are.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Thank you so much for your recent stay and kind review of the Sonnenalp Hotel. We believe that service is the most important element of a luxury hotel and I am so happy to hear about your experience.

We hope to welcome you back to the Vail Valley in the near future!
Cedar Falls, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

We stayed here early March 2013. We have traveled halfway around the world and have never ever experienced better service and a willingness to please than at this home away from home. The staff makes you feel special and go out of their way to accommodate. The breakfast buffet is high quality and well worth getting the package if offered. The bar is fun. The location is super. The main pedestrian walkway with shops is about 200 feet away. The ski concierge that stores your equipment and brings it to you is but one example of the service. Also they offer a free drop in town with a car. If you are able then you will feel the difference the moment you arrive. This is a superb property. Enjoy.

Room Tip: We were in 311. View was of the mountain across from Vail mountain. Right below our room was a fanta...
1 Thank gbonsall
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words and visit to the Sonnenalp Hotel!

We pride ourselves on superb service while providing a unique product in the town of Vail, and I am thrilled you were satisfied with our hotel.

We hope to welcome you back to Vail in the near future!