Sonnenalp
Tivoli Lodge(Vail)(Great Value!)
$273
$188
  • Bar/Lounge
Hotel Talisa, Vail(Vail)(Great Value!)
$195
Starwood.com
  • Restaurant
Savings alert! 18% below average rates

The price you found is 18% lower than this hotel's average rate of $239/night.

$279
  • Restaurant
Savings alert! 16% below average rates

The price you found is 16% lower than this hotel's average rate of $331/night.

Christiania at Vail(Vail)(Great Value!)
$161
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of $179/night.

Manor Vail Lodge(Vail)(Great Value!)
$237
$297
Savings alert! 53% below average rates

The price you found is 53% lower than this hotel's average rate of $633/night.

The Lodge at Vail, A RockResort(Vail)(Great Value!)
$254
$229
  • Pool
The Sebastian - Vail(Vail)(Great Value!)
$329
$319
Savings alert! 16% below average rates

The price you found is 16% lower than this hotel's average rate of $378/night.

Vail Mountain Lodge(Vail)(Great Value!)
$265
$257
Orbitz.com
$410
$309
Savings alert! 25% below average rates

The price you found is 25% lower than this hotel's average rate of $413/night.

1,152 results
All reviewsbully ranchswiss chaletfondueoxygen barking's clubcookiesheated floorsspa areabreakfast buffetjunior suiteturn down servicethe indoor outdoor poolski hauseuropean feelski conciergefavorite hotelwalk in closet
Reviewed February 22, 2013

What a well run hotel. Beautifully maintained, wonderful breakfast and a feeling you are in an Austrian ski resort.
Owner managed, he is there every day, and it runs flawlessly. We would look no further in Vail.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rod L
Reviewed February 20, 2013

this was my first stay in vail , we went there for skiing. from the very first moment we felt comfortable and the whole stuff is very friendly and helpful. On arrival we got our room. As I could hear the music from the bar i aksed for a more quiet room which i was given the next day in the morning. For someone who likes to go out in the evening its not a problem as music stops at 11 pm. Coming from Europe and skiing the whole day i like to go to bed early so a quiet room for me is extremly important. The Breakfast, included in my room rate was awesome. I love american breakfast and found everything from eggs benedictine to french toast, fresh fruits, croissant and may many more. The Ski Concierge near the Gondola is a wonderful service too. I sure will come back one day.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2013

Thank you for your review.
I am delighted to read that you had a nice experience. We work hard on focusing on services that are distinct and delivered very well and are encouraged when we succeed and our guest appreciates our effort.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

I spent a lot of time choosing a hotel for a weekend getaway. I wanted to be in the lap of luxury but didn't want to spend over $850-$900/night. I settled on the Sonnenalp because of the reviews of the service.

The good: Indeed the service was stellar. From the moment I made the reservation, the concierge was in contact with me to ensure all of our needs were taken care of (bed choice, dinner reservations, ski rental, spa appointments, directions, etc). Every employee wanted to help you. Every question was answered politely. Every need was catered to. The maid service actually cleaned the room. Bathrooms are beautiful with GREAT towels. The breakfast buffet was delicious and the dining room was beautiful (especially with snow). Water, ice and cookies delivered everyday. I've heard wonderful things about the spa but we didn't have time to try it out.

So, why not 5 stars? Well... The rooms aren't glamourous. Honestly, it might be time for a remodeling. Or maybe it's just a matter of taste. The Sonnenalp is more of a European feel than an American Four Seasons. So think stark white, plastered walls and basic pine furniture with solid fabrics. While the rooms were large and it was awesome to have a fireplace, the decor is basic and sparse. I got really, really tired of the print carpeting all over the entire hotel. Also, they upgraded our suite which was nice, but the suite they gave us was on 2 floors. Again, a plus and a minus. Nice to have extra space but climbing downstairs in the middle of the nights after a few drinks was rough. Plus, the upstairs was so tiny, I felt like I was sleeping in my grandma's attic.

On a very personal note, I really didn't like the help's uniforms. I found the peasant style dresses embarrassing.

Last, this property is not ski-in, ski-out. You have to walk about 3 blocks to their "club" which is in the basement of a ski shop. There you store your shoes and things while you ski and at night you store your skies. The hotel is central to the restaurants and shopping, just not to skiing. Not many hotels in Vail are slopeside.

In conclusion, I probably wouldn't stay there again because I personally enjoy a more modern hotel but I would suggest it to others based on the incredible service and nice bathrooms.

Room Tip: They appear to have lots of room styles. I would call to make the reservation if you have special needs (i.e. adjoining rooms, rooms for 3 (ours had a murphy bed in the living room), etc.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wendypstan

Thank you for your stay and comments.
We strive for an authentic european look and feel at the Sonnenalp. Purposefully distinct from many modern and trendy hotels.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

Stayed at the Sonnenalp for 10 days in February 2013 (ski-ing trip with my wife). Very hard to find fault with the place - check in was swift and friendly (thanks for the room upgrade), then escorted to our room and the heating / appliances etc were explained. A nice touch was the humidifier which isn't always supplied in hotel rooms in Vail but is desperately needed. We had booked a basic room but were upgraded to a mini suite which was really lovely - comfy chairs and a fireplace. We also had a small balcony which was useful for chilling wine. There is a walk-in wardrobe; the special feature of the rooms is the bathroom - huge, underfloor heating, double vanities, separate shower and large tub.
Breakfast is taken in Ludwig's, the a la carte restaurant. There is a wide selection of hot & cold dishes with a particularly good fruit selection. But the best feature of breakfast is the service - OK it's a buffet, but the servers are all very attentive and will bring you coffee, juice etc. We never had to search for a server to bring a coffee refill - it was always done before you even thought of it.
There are 2 on site evening restaurants - Ludwigs which is a fine dining fish speciality: unfortunately we didn't eat there this time. The alternative is the Bully Ranch - pub style, very american, good solid food but beware of portion size: it would be wise to order appetisers first and then see if you have the stomach for a main course. If you want apres ski, there is a pianist in the bar in the afternoon and usually a singing act in the evening.
The Sonnenalp is a 5-10minute walk to the ski slopes. You could take the in town (free) bus to the Vail Village stop although you would still need to walk a little to the slopes from here. Most guests are happy to walk from the hotel as skis and boots are stored at the Bridge Haus just 50 metres from the snow front. The Bridge Haus is a full service ski concierge which really makes the holiday - the guys there are just fantastic. Your skis and boots appear by magic in the morning (boots are stored on driers) and they always have a friendly word. The best ski concierge we have had in 30 years of skiing.
There is a spa complex with indoor/outdoor pool, hot tubs, steam room, sauna and gym. My wife and I both had a massage - very professional, effective, relaxing; unfortunately, the price reflects that you're in a five star hotel.
Vail has many new swish five star hotels but I don't think that many could match the Sonnenalp for service, facilities and old world charm (and price). Can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Go for a mini suite, especially if staying more than a weekend
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 31, 2013

This is the second time we have stayed at Sonnenalp and it continues to be the real gem of Colorado ski areas. This is boutique luxury, not to be confused with the huge, overly expensive assembly line hotels, Four Seasons, Ritz! A very comfortable physical plant is complimented by a beautifully trained staff that is always helpful, friendly and just plain pleasant! The Sonnenalp has a ski valet service wherein their elves take all of your ski equipment to an affiliate at the base of the ski lift where they will be waiting for you the next morning. After one of Sonnenalp’s beautiful buffet breakfasts you can take a walk of about three blocks to the life where you will find your ski equipment in a nice, warm ski shop with the coffee ready for you to enjoy while you put on your boots. Now, you can walk the fifty feet to the ski lift and you are off for the day. When you are done skiing, you leave all of your equipment at the same place and it will be there the next day if you ski, if not, the elves will return you stuff to Sonnenalp where it will be ready for check-out. If skiing got any easier than this, you would have to do it without getting out of bed! Did I mention the bathroom floors are heated, or the wonderful outdoor hot tub and indoor and outdoor combo swimming pool? Sonnenalp continues to be a real Colorado gem. Enjoy!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple