“Exceptional service; a truly memorable stay”
Review of Sonnenalp

Sonnenalp
Ranked #1 of 30 Hotels in Vail
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Luxury hotel chains seek to compete against each other by offering more marble and higher sheet thread counts. To a degree, I have bought into that marketing. However, on our recent stay at the Sonnenalp, I learned that a truly memorable stay is tied to the warmth and graciousness of the staff. The Sonnenalp appears to understand this more than perhaps any other hotel with which I have stayed. Everyday of our stay, the staff of the Sonnenalp warmly said hello to me by name and did all they could to ensure that our stay was exceptional. The restaurant staff was especially gracious and personable. I noticed that one restaurant staff person always stood scanning the room in the event that a guest needed something. That sums up well the level of vigilant service provided by every staff person at the Sonnenalp. We stayed at the resort for a family wedding, which was spectacular -- the setting was beautiful (alongside a cold-water stream shaded by pines), the food superb (not an exaggeration), and the experience was unforgettable. We will have to find the time to stay again. We really enjoyed our stay. It was truly memorable. Don't pass up the breakfast -- every detail of which appears to have been exceptionally prepared by the chef. There will alway be a new, lavish resort. I have attended many. But I cannot say of many of them what I can say about the Sonnenalp -- that my stay was unforgettable.

Room Tip: The location of the hotel is superb and shielded from traffic. As a result, I don't think that...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank MarkK_12
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2012

Thank you for your comments.
We consider ourselves fortunate to have a wonderful team of dedicated employees and I could not agree more that it is them that make all the difference. This is what we intend to make the Sonnenalp Experience different. I am happy that our team succeeded.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

Had a wonderful 1 night stay for my husbands birthday. We've been to the restaurants here many times and always wanted to stay at the hotel and we finally did, and we were not disappointed. The front desk staff, bellmen, chambermaids, spa staff, bar staff, room service... basically everyone here is really friendly and helpful. The room had a nice balcony with chairs that we enjoyed, the bed was comfortable and the bathroom amenities (shampoo, lotion, etc.) were very nice and there were ample towels in the bathroom as well.
They sent us a complimentary bottle of champagne which was a lovely touch. I'd pre-ordered some food/snack items which showed up too late (we were already headed out for dinner) and they removed the charges, which I didn't ask for but completely appreciated.
The pool area is fantastic too.
I would absolutely recommend this hotel to anyone coming to the Vail valley - it's location & staff cannot be beaten.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms may be good, perhaps a mountain view with a larger balcony? The rooms near/ov...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your stay and review.
I apologize that we did not get your arrival order to your room before your arrival.
Thank you for sharing your special day with us. I am glad that you enjoyed the time at the Sonnenalp.

Reviewed August 12, 2012

I have travelled throughout the world at many fine hotels and this place ranks among the very best. As a resident of Colorado, we have stayed once or twice a year for many years, at the Sonnenalp for a get away weekend. Without question, this is a very special place. The best in accommodations and the service is simply the highest standard. Great location for walking anywhere, and I always look forward to the breakfast. If you are heading to Vail, this is the place to stay, whatever the season.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2012

Thank you for making the Sonnenalp your place to stay when in Vail.
We look forward to seeing you many more times and will work hard to operate at a predictable and consistent high level.

Reviewed August 11, 2012

This was our second visit to Sonnenalp Resort and just as before, it was superb. We were also once again treated to an upgrade to a king size room as well! The rooms are very clean, very well appointed, and ours include a small balcony overlooking the pool area, Ludwigs restaurant and with a great view of Vail Mountain. The turn down service each night include delicious cookies, fresh water, and plush robes and slippers all laid out for us.

We ate lunch at the Bully Ranch restaurant when we first arrived. The turkey burger and truffle tots were EXCELLENT! My husband had the fish tacos which he reported were quite tasty. The open doors allowed a nice breeze and the relaxed atmosphere was just what we needed after the drive out from Boulder.

The hotel features a superb spa and the couples massage, while pricey, was worth every penny. We felt like new people when we were finished. This was after a strenuous hike the day before and was perfect for those slightly sore muscles. :-)

Finally, the staff there is incredibly professional and friendly. They attended to any need and never failed to greet us or wish us a great day after inquiring about what big plans we might have.

Sonnenalp is located at one end of Vail village, is very convenient to a bus stop should you want to ride to Lions Head or out to the Betty Ford Alpine Gardens (which are QUITE lovely). the concierge also offers lots of helpful information about hikes and other activities in the area. All in all, an outstanding stay. We'll be back, for sure!

Room Tip: Rooms on the back of the building offer a great view of Vail Mountain.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your stay and nice description of your experience. We are delighted that you your stay was a positive and memorable experience. This is what all of us are striving for.

Reviewed August 9, 2012

The Sonnenalp Resort of Vail is a breath taking place with it's warm suites and helpful staff. Walking distance from ski lifts in the winter and food and shopping in the summer. Restaurants everywhere with their outdoor seating reminded me so much of Germany...

1  Thank jkmc1983
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2012

Thank you for your visit and review.
I am happy to hear that you had an enjoyable time with us and that you were reminded of my home country. Sonnenalp is different and unique that way.

Reviewed August 7, 2012

We stayed for a few nights during the summer for our first non-winter trip to Vail and it was perfect. The location in Vail Village provides easy walking access to all activities. I would recommend renting bikes or bringing your own because the bike paths are located right outside the hotel. Try to get a creek side room if available. I was not as big a fan of the breakfast buffet as the person I was traveling with, and I enjoyed the breakfast off of the menu on the second day much more.

Room Tip: Try to get a creek side room.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for your stay and your for taking the time to review your experience.
I am happy that you enjoyed your time at the Sonnenalp.
Our breakfast offering both the option of buffet and ordering of the breakfast menu has proven to be very popular with guest that have limited time due to a full schedule and guest that make breakfast a more important part of their vacation day.

Reviewed August 2, 2012

Great location, great spa/pool area with views, wonderful breakfast, but... make sure you request
to be away from the clock across the street, it strikes starting at 6 am, and I was right in front
of it. I was also right over the Bully's restuarant, so instead of a quiet mountain town, I heard a lot of noise from the restuarant and street. Ask for a room facing the river and mountain. Also vail has free parking in the visitor lots in the summer- but this hotel charges 25$ a day. I also thought the 100$ nonrefundable pet fee was high.

Room Tip: ask to be facing the creek/river, and away from the clock tower
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2012

Thank you for your visit and review.
Our location next to the Vail Chapel does make it the sound from the clock tower a factor at times. Our guest find this an issue at times when leaving the windows open at night. We have many rooms that face away from the Chapel and we are happy to accomodate our 'light sleeper -open window fans' in those part of the hotel. We do charge for our secure and heated parking garage on property. Free parking is available a short walk from the hotel for guest that do not require the convenience of parking on property.