“Best in Colorado”

Ranked #1 of 30 Hotels in Vail
Santa Barbara
“Best in Colorado”
Reviewed April 22, 2012

I have stayed at almost every ski resort and city hotel in Colorado. The Sonnenalp is not only the best in Vail, but the best in Colorado. Swiss (or is it Austrian?) efficiency, quality, friendliness, and especially cleanliness are the norm. Breakfast is outstanding as is the Swiss restaurant for dinner. Staff are completely professional and courteous yet still friendly, genuine, and always glad to be of service. The best!

Room Tip: It does not matter - since Vail is a pedestrian village, things are not loud - and windows are excel...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank moyordee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
Saint Louis
Reviewed April 14, 2012

We have visited the Sonnenalp a number of times over the years and it is always like coming home. The personnel is very friendly, attentive and always courteous.
We love to indulge at the breakfast buffet, which offers a variety of options for everybody's taste in a beautiful Bavarian setting. Especially the pastries are to die for!
Dinner at the Ludwig's is always a special experience and highly recommended.
We never miss to vist the Swiss Chalet, with its more "rustic" menu, for a cheese fondue (the new goat cheese fodue is a delicious addidion to the menu) or an excellent fondue chinoise.
This year's addition of an "on the mountain picnic" was a fantastic idea and made you forget the sometimes not so excellent snow conditions. The valet service in general and the ski valet in particular are absolutely outstanding. At the Sonnenalp they definitely have that special touch to make you feel welcome, provide top comfort and entertainment during your stay.
R. & B.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed April 8, 2012

I almost hate to give this review as I don't want to give away a good thing. Excellent service and great breakfast buffet at Ludwig's. We had dinner at Bully Ranch a restaurant in the hotel but I wouldn't recommend it. The Swiss Chalet restaurant seemed to be a winner to guests but we didn't try it. Our room was a great size with heated flooring and a wonderful separate tub and shower. Nice view from our room. We have tried three different five star hotels in the Vail area and this is our favorite.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Booked a suite for Pres Day Weekend at Sonnenalp. Was beautiful suite but a little too small for our family; we should have booked a suite with 2 baths, as we have two teenagers; our 1 bath suite would have been better for a family with small children. Also, only other complaint on the room was that the TV set was adjacent to the fireplace mantel and the dear antler decoration blocked the view of the TV from almost all angles. Sonnenalp might want to rethink where the TV is hanging vis a vis the antlers in the living area. Otherwise the beds were super comfortable, the bathroom was enormous with private toilet, the service was fabulous and gracious and friendly, the dining facilities were excellent, the breakfast was among the best buffets ever. The ski concierge was the greatest thing, because Sonnnenalp is a few blocks walking distance from the lifts. But that's no problem, because the ski concierge takes yours skis and boots to and from the hotel and stores them slope side throughout your stay. This makes the walk into/out of town very pleasant as you are in your street shoes instead of ski boots. The oxygen bar at the spa was a hoot and I am pretty certain it helped to cure the altitude sickness that struck me the first night and afflicted my son at the second. My facial was not the greatest spa experience I've ever had; I would probably go with a massage next time. My husband and daughter used the pool and hot tub. They had a great time but it is not necessarily the most fabulous pool/hot tub I've ever seen at a ski resort. In final analysis, I would heartily recommend the Sonnenalp.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this review, April 7, 2012
Thank you for comments and suggestions. I will review the TV position in our suites to assure opitmal visibility.
I am happy to read that your overall experience was positive and that you were able to take advantage of our slope side ski concierge service.
Thank you for your stay.
USA
Reviewed March 16, 2012

Stayed 4 nights. I've worked in the ski resort industry and know that by this time of year, some employees lose their enthusiasm. Oddly, all the foreign workers still had it, but too many of the younger, U.S. "kids" weren't into it. Front desk folks especially need to present the most helpful side, (Diane).
The price was fine. (It is Vail in season.) Some of the two story rooms are strange and I recommend looking at them first. The breakfast is nice and comfortable.
All in all I would return....but I'd never stay in the room we had.
(Lastly, why is that a "Hampton Inn" has internet as a normal service and these higher end hotels charge? It's just a simple wi fi link. Come on Sonnenalp, et al.)

Armonk, New York
Reviewed March 11, 2012

When my family and I just got to the sonnelap we had just taken an 2 hour drive from denver to vail. Even though our room was not ready at first the front desk made the housekeeping speed up the process. We were in are room in no time. There was a wonderful pool and spa and my personal favorite, the breakfast. The breakfast is a buffet which is really good for kids because you don't have to wait. All the resturants at the hotel are great. Our room was a two floor two bedroom vail mountain suite it was great because we could spread out. Since the sonnelap is a five minute walk to the mountain the have a little shop right on the base of the mountain where thy keep your skis, boots and poles. They have hot chocolate, coffee, and cookies at the end of the day at the base mountain shop. Overall, my family and I loved the Sonnelap.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms looking over the pool and the mountain
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank benerdoodles
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this review, March 24, 2012
Thank you very much for your visit and your kind comments.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 10, 2012

My son and I recently spent five nights at the Sonnenalp Resort and enjoyed their Alpine package including breakfast, ski life tickets and other amenities. Most outstanding is the quality of the friendly service by all of the staff. You are truly made to feel welcome at this hotel that is run by a family rather than operated by a chain, however good that operating entity might be. while get facilities and services are provided by operations like the Four Seasons and Ritz Carlton, the difference at the Sonnenalp is the presence of the owner and the spirit of courtesy and professionalism that he hand his family infuse throughout the entire hotel.

Some specific comments. The ski concierge makes getting on and off the slopes a real pleasure. You need never carry skis, and the boots are warmed each morning. The buffet breakfast is bountiful and abundant. A cheery, "Good Morning, Mr. Snedcof" greeted us each day. The suites are exceptional. Upon request we were upgraded to a Blue Spruce Suite that faced west insuring that the sun flooded our room each afternoon. The spa is elegant with relaxing massages that are just the ticket after a day on the slopes.

It is with real pleasure that I recommend this hotel as the most wonderful place to stay in Vail. - and their granola is super!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family