“Charming, delightful hotel that I never wanted to leave.”
Review of Sonnenalp

Sonnenalp
Ranked #1 of 30 Hotels in Vail
Seattle
“Charming, delightful hotel that I never wanted to leave.”
Reviewed November 2, 2011

I stayed at the Sonnenalp 10/17/11-10/23/11 and it exceeded my expectations in all ways. I had my arm in a sling and was a special needs customer (potentially grumpy customer). The staff at the Sonnenalp was unfailingly charming and very helpful to me . My 1 bdrm suite was bright and cheerful with huge closets, a luxurious bathroom, a sweet dining nook, cool vaulted ceilings, and provided every last thing I could ask for from a hotel. One would have to be pretty spoiled and petty to find fault with the room I stayed in.

I did read a review that seemed unfair to me and I would like to offer up my counter opinion to the people who complained about some in-room ammenities. Specifically, if you expect to find things like washing machines and dryers in the hotel and expect full kitchenettes then maybe you should opt for a condo. Of course you'll lose the convenience of room service, unbeatable location, the exceptional spa, lobby bar, library, and 4 restaurants along with the other niceties this hotel offers. Still, it seems unreasonable to check into a hotel and then complain when it's not run as a condominium
The Sonnenalp does a great job and I highly recommend staying there.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this review, November 16, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post this message. I am delighted to read that your stay was enjoyable. I appreciate your comment regarding a full service hotel versus a condominium.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
Reviewed October 30, 2011

We have recently been transferrd to Denver , Colorado. We were looking forward spending our wedding anniversary in a nice place, in the mountains not to far from Denver. We had stopped once in Vail in summer as the kids visited . Choosing Vail was an easy one, choosing for a hotel was tougher as they have lots of choice. Left it to the wife to select it. She choose Sonnenalp. Off rates season are very affordable. Suite was warm and cosy. Hotel well located in the village, walking distance.Austrian ladies in the restaurant and breakfast charming. Despite the few negatives comments you will always find in the reviews, I will highly reccomend this place. perfect for a celebration. Will also reccomend that you stop by at the Alpinebar of the hotel for a digestive and be charmed by the singer and his guitare before you go and rest in your room.

Room Tip: our room allowed us to witness the sun rise , beautiful...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Eric046
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this review, November 16, 2011
Thank you for spending your anniversary with us. One of the things that we want to be known for is to be special place for special occasion and I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your special day at the Sonnenalp. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Reviewed October 18, 2011

Here was my first surprise...most resorts during the "shoulder season" cut back on amenities such as turn down service, 24 hour room service, and even keeping the lobby fire places lighted....not the Sonnenalp. This was my fourth visit, and it just gets better and better. The service is flawless, and the charm and warmth of the hotel makes you feel like you are thousands of miles away. The guest rooms are lovely - the gas fireplace is cozy, and the room decor is absolutely stunning - highest quality European fabrics and decor, bedding is amazing, not a detail missed. The bathrooms are spacious and even have heated/radiant marble flooring...oversized tub. We also relaxed on the oversized comfy sofas in the library in front of the fire - which was going day and night, and really made our stay particularly cozy. It was our college reunion, and the three of us enjoyed a fantastic girls weekend away...housekeeping had three robes, and three turn down cookies every night...a detail most hotels would have missed. When we checked in, the bellman even offered to have a mini frig delivered for us, seeing the beverages we had brought along. We enjoyed Bully Ranch, casual and good food. But The breakfast there is amazing-don't miss it. We did not use the spa this time, but did enjoy a soak in the hot tub...the spa is very beautifully appointed for it's size, and there was a good work out room. This is a truly charming hotel...if you are looking for the new trendy glass and chrome hotels, this might not be for you....although they have all of the modern conveniences, this hotel is for those who are looking for a more gracious and warm experience-more unique. I just love this place!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank ann f
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this review, October 21, 2011
Thank you for allowing us to host your college reunion weekend.
We have alway tried our hardest to present the Sonnenalp at the hightest level possible to our guest regardless of time of year. I appreciate very much that this made a positive difference to you and your friends.
Reviewed October 15, 2011

We stayed here at the end of the ski season and stayed in one of the roomy suites. The housekeeping was impeccable, the staff was very attentive and the buffet breakfast was like a fabulous european smorgasbord. The service and facilities made our experience effortless so we could spend all our energies skiing during the day. The interior was also very european and charming. The heated bathroom floors are a nice touch and the bathrooms spacious with beautiful materials and fixtures.
Would highly recommend especially if you are looking for someplace with a real Alpen feel to it at a fair price.

Room Tip: Try a suite.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank GGH1
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this review, October 21, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to comment.
We look forward to seeing you for another ski trip.
Texas
Reviewed October 12, 2011

Our niece works for Sonnenalp and helped us reserve a room for our vacation/25th anniversary. The valet met us outside and wished us a happy anniversary....wow! The staff at the front desk also greeted us with a "Happy Anniversary". Our room w/firplace and balcony looking out over the mountains was fabulous! Management had left a bottle of champagne and a welcome note for us. It truly was a suprise and a wonderful gesture. The staff was very courteous and very prompt with room service. We would definitely recommend this wonderful hotel to our friends.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CBtex
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this review, October 14, 2011
Thank you for your comments and for sharing your special day with us.
We are looking forward to see you again in the near future.
Ashland, Oregon
Reviewed October 11, 2011

Oh I wish we could do it over again and stay elsewhere. This was our first trip to Vail and the hotel had a very negative impact on our experience. LOCATION: It's at the entry of the village. Looks very cute and Swiss outside and in. Close walk to the stores and restaurants of Vail and of course to the slopes. STAFF: Disappointed to say that although a large conference had just left, we got stuck in a room that had construction right outside our window. Guess what? We could hear it from early morning till late afternoon for the 2 days we stayed there. We asked to change rooms but they wouldn't-- it wasn't an occupancy issue-- something about checking with the manager and some bureaucratic red tape. While apologetic, the general complacency tainted our attitude and we were glad when it came time to leave. ROOMS: Cute in a "I'm a Swiss Miss" sort of way. And simple. Gives a nice "alps" feel to your stay. OTHER: The staff makes a huge impact on a guest's stay for both the good and the bad. Regardless of the facilities they have the power to make it magical or to make you want to leave. Fix this and you have a great hotel. (ps this was from early Oct 2010, so maybe things have changed?)

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Travelathon
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this review, October 14, 2011
Thank you for your response.
I am sorry to find out about your disappointing experience so late.
I hope we can live up to your and our expectations at a future visit and react to your needs and wishes on a more timely basis.
Reviewed October 10, 2011

So after reading all the reviews my sister and I were very excited to book our stay at the Sonnenlap. Unfortunately we left very disappointed. I have stayed in many great hotels over the years during my travel for business and pleasure...the Sonnenlap would not be one of them. Our Blue Spruce Suite was still being "inspected" by two cleaning supervisors when we entered the room. They left quickly, and as we moved our luggage in we immediately noticed an old french fry sitting on the floor in front of the television area. So much for the two "cleaning supervisors". Our bathroom had one cracked sink, lots of water damage around the large soaking tub, and a nickel sized hole in the wall behind the door in the room that contained the toilet. Ok, so the room is not so great, but we were looking forward to checking out the outdoor hot tub. A family with young chidren entered the hot tub as we were sitting in it, and the family had a child with a diaper on who proceeded to stay in the hot tub with his dad. This is completely unsanitary, besides the fact that a child that young should not even be allowed in a hot tub. Yuck! So we decided to leave and check out some dinner at the Bully Ranch. We waited 50 mintues or so for our meal to arrive, as the waiter told us our "ticket had been lost by the kitchen staff." Awesome, but they did comp us two desserts that we were too full to eat. The next morning we went to the front desk to check out of the hotel, and we noticed an extra charge from the Bully Ranch on our bill. Since we paid by credit card for our meal the night before we asked why this charge was on our bill. The person at the desk brought out a slip with a forged singnature on it (name even spelled wrong). This was absolutely bizarre! They took the charge off of my bill, but another person working behind the front desk tried to convince us we may have "bought a drink and forgot we charged it." What nerve she had to even suggest this to us, as it was obvious the signature was not one of ours. I have never had this happend anywhere I've ever stayed. I can't believe we paid good money to stay at the Sonnenlap and were treated to an experience worse than that of an old motel 6.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank 480amys
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this review, October 14, 2011
My sincerest apologies for disappointing you in so many areas.
Your experience was anyhing but what we are all about and we will do our utmost to correct the areas where we fell short.
Thank you for bringing this to our attention.