“Gem of a hotel”
Review of Sonnenalp

Sonnenalp
Ranked #1 of 30 Hotels in Vail
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Stayed here for a friend's wedding at the beginning of July 2011. This place exudes European charm with its quirky furnishings and style reminiscent of a true Swiss Alp Chalet. Check is in was quick and uneventful. The rooms are fantastic. We stayed in a Lodgepole Suite which consisted of a sleeping area and a small separate seating area in front of an electric fireplace. The bathroom really was the centerpiece of the rooms and it pained us that we were unable to use the gigantic bathtub. The bathroom itself is huge which a long vanity with two sinks, a separate glass enclosed shower, a separate toilet area and that aforementioned gigantic pool.

The room itself was charming with real wood paneling (not the cheap kind) with a little seating area in front of nice gas fireplace. The bed was king with high end linens and was very nice to sleep in. There is a door that leads to a nice balcony that for us overlooked the village and Vail Mountain.

Downstairs we were surprised to see that the Spa really was a Spa! We expected a dinky small steam room but were impressed to see separate women and men's full spas. The Men's Spa had a separate steam room and dry spa. There were showers, cold towels on ice and even a machine that rung the water from your swimming trunks! My wife tried the women's spa but told me that there was no separate steam room in theirs. That seemed odd to us but we were in a hurry and didn't inquire further. There is a tranquil large sitting area in the center that overlooks the outdoor and indoor pools with complimentary ice water and teas available. We thought the setting was beautiful.

Parking was somewhat costly at $22 a day for valet. You could park not too far away at one of the free lots and walk it, but we had a decent amount of luggage and had to drive back and forth so decided since we were only there for two days, we would stick with the valet. If we had to do it again and were not so rushed for time when we got to Vail (we were there for a wedding and by the time we arrived from Denver, were already late for the rehearsal dinner), we probably would have parked in the free lot and took the 5 minute walk and saved $40.

We did not try any of the restaurants so cannot comment on that.

Overall the service and accommodations were excellent. Even better for us was that we purchased our stay via Rue La La at $100 a night. For $100 a night this place was spectacular but we can imagine that even for three times that much (and more during winter peak season) this place would be a real find.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SBRitz
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2011

We are so happy you had such a great weekend here in Vail and at the Sonnenalp resort. We appreciate your review and we hope to welcome you back in the very near future.
Johannes Faessler

Write a ReviewReviews (1,054)

Reviewed July 27, 2011

I came to Vail from Boulder to have shoulder surgery at the Steadman Clinic. My surgery was outpatient, and I was feeling nauseous when I left the hospital, so my boyfriend called ahead and asked if we could get a quick check-in. Our room key was already out on the concierge desk when we arrived, so all we had to do was walk straight through the lobby and grab it on our way. The staff promptly sent up some ice (we didn't even ask), and sent up a complimentary tray of chocolates and almonds.

The hospital gave me an ice machine that has to be refilled every few hours, and the concierge responded for ice requests promptly at all hours of the night. I was originally considering riding back to Boulder directly after my surgery, but I'm very glad I didn't. The proximity to the Vail Hospital (2 blocks), excellent customer service, and nice beds made my stay very comfortable.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2011

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during this difficult time. I am very happy my staff was able to make you as comfortable as possible. We hope that your next stay with us will be for a holiday. Sincerely,

Reviewed July 24, 2011

We stayed at the Sonnenalp in April for the last week of the ski season. The room, and especially the bathroom, was very spacious and charming. The breakfast buffet (included with our room) was exceptionally good. The bar area was very comfortable and friendly. The highlight though was the ski concierge. It was nice to be able to walk a few steps from the lift at the end of the day and leave all our gear, plus helmets, gloves, etc. In the morning the boots had been dried and warmed up. April rates made our stay a great deal but I would stay there during peak season too.

• Stayed: April 2011
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2011

I am so happy you enjoyed Vail in the month of April and were able to take full advantage of our ski concierge. It is nice to be able to hand off your skis after a great day of skiing and enjoy the rest of your day in comfort. We look forward to welcoming you back to our resort this winter.
Regards,

Reviewed July 22, 2011

This staple of hotel quality in Vail Village has a well-deserved reputation for outstanding service. Great central location in the village, try to get a South facing room looking towards the mountain. The breakfast buffet is not to be missed. One morning I was late getting my child to a ski lesson...asked for help at the desk and the next thing we knew...the valet had our equipment loaded in their Surburban and we were on our way to theGolden Peak ski school. They set the standard for service in Vail.

• Stayed: December 2010
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2011

Thank you for sharing your review of our resort with us. Breakfast is certainly one of the most important meals and we have worked very hard to make it easy and very tasty for all our guests. We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the Sonnenalp in the near future!
With warmest regards,
Johannes Faessler,
Owner / General Manager,
Sonnenalp Resort of Vail

Reviewed July 19, 2011

We stayed 13 days at the Sonnenalp because of a surgical procedure my husband needed to have done at the Steadman Clinic nearby. Well, I cannot express in the amount of words allowed to type in this little box how amazing The Sonnenalp and it's staff was to us in making this stay such an amazing experience. We so enjoyed walking around the truly unique shops that surround the Sonnenalp and the amazing winter wonderland scene just outside of our balcony. We were treated like royalty.
Have you ever been somewhere and when you think of it, you just go back in your memory to something magical? Well, that was our experience at the Sonnenalp. We highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2011

We are very happy you chose our resort as your home away from home during your husband’s surgical procedure. We appreciate the kind words and we look forward to having you as our guest again but for more of a true holiday. Sincerely, Johannes Faessler

Reviewed July 7, 2011

I stayed there in the winter many years ago and it was fantastic. It's right in the heart of Vail, great for getting home from apres-ski or skiing without any hassle. Highly recommend!

Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2011

Thank you for your kind review and recommendation. During your stay, we hope you also took advantage of our full service Ski Valet with tuning equipment right at the base of the mountain. We truly hope to see you again this coming season, it promises to be another stellar year.

Best Regards,

Reviewed July 6, 2011

My wife and I recently returned from a 3 night stay (over fourth of July) in a Jr Suite at Sonnenalp. Overall, I would rate the hotel, service, food, etc as ~4.25star. First, the good: i) we opted for the breakfast plan and were pleased in the quality, excellent / friendly staff, and food variety ( though it was basically the same everyday). It was a nice way to start the day even though my wife and I usually don't eat breakfast ii) room was well appointed, clean, and spacious ( walk in closet, and large bathroom were great). Our room was near the river, and we enjoyed opening the window and/or door to capture both the sound of the river ,but also the cool, crisp mountain air iii) both room and common areas were 'warm' and comfortable, a good fit/match for being in the mountains iv) believe it or not, we used the fireplace a couple times while we were lounging in the room before dinner; a nice feature to have (even in summer) v) the pool / hot tub area location was really great. While there isn’t a view of the mountains from there due to trees/foliage, you are adjacent to the river/creek and it's a pleasant, relaxing environment. vi) free wireless wi-fi worked great vii) business center came in handy to print off boarding passes viii) hotel was very accommodating with our needs of slightly atypical check in/check out times ix) we had a quick look at the sonnenalp golf course pool, and it was quite nice as well ( I believe the hotel guests can use it without charge).
Now for the items which prevented me from ranking this a five star hotel, sure some may be nits but: i) night 1, fire alarm goes off at 1am for a minute or two. While we didn't have to evacuate, I found it a little odd that the GM (at this caliber and small-size of a hotel) did not address the issue with guests in the morning ( perhaps a note under the door, “sorry for the inconvenience last night, we had a small kitchen fire / there was a prank/ malfunction, etc. Please let me know if you have questions. We value you as a guest ….” ii) despite putting “maid service” sign on our door for 2 of the nights around 630pm, the turn down service had not yet happened at 830pm when we returned from dinner. On the 1st incident, we called for the turn down and someone then came. The 2nd incident, I didn't call and someone came just before 9pm ( supposedly there last turn down time which we learned after we called the 1st night ). I just thought the door cards meant more then they did. on the second night I ended up turning away the service as I didn't want the interruption at the time iii) while most of the commons areas are in great shape, there is some wear and tear in areas that in my opinion 5 star hotels avoid ( ie pool/spa tiles need replacement/grout work, pool towels / linens are rather shabby and inconsistent with linen quality in the rooms , some of carpeting needs replacement as it's a bit dirty/worn in areas) iv) we never pulled our car anywhere close to the valet at the hotel and I even told gal at check in I would not be parking my car there; at checkout they still tried to charge me for 3 nights at 22/night (note, they did remove charge w out any issue, but it never should have been on there) v) when I checked out, front desk was kind enough to tell me that I-70 had some ~ 1 hour delays due to construction. That was important information for guests, I wish the gal at front desk who I spoke to face to face 5 hours before about my departure would have told me the same thing, so I could have avoided a missed flight. Another solution would have been for the hotel to inform guests of such ( that there is I-70 construction certain days of the week this summer) when they check in, or alternatively on the hotel fliers they put in room and/or at breakfast table x) the hotel elevators are real slow, probably not much they can do here as they are probably limited to using hydraulic elevators given the low-rise nature of the building. However, on 3 or 4 elevator rides, my wife and I had to share it with hotel service people =bell boy, guy taking out the trash!, etc. It was weird, Im not sure if they don't have a service elevator, or are just not trained to use it. xi) it was not possible for both my wife and I to watch tv at same time. Whether you were in bed, or in the chairs next to fire place, the tv or furniture could not realistically be positioned to allow 2 people to watch. While we weren’t there to watch tv, it's an amenity that is expected at even a budget hotel. Xii) our tv wouldn't turn on after the 1st night, it took 2 calls ( 18 hours apart) for someone to come fix it. xiii) one of our sheets on our bed had hole in it one night.
Overall, I enjoyed staying at the hotel despite the aforementioned shortcomings. If you want to stay at a nice hotel but want to avoid the flagged hotels like ritz or four seasons, this is a good option to consider.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank C_A_Dallas
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2011

I appreciate your detailed review and am glad there was much we did to your satisfaction. I will hold a team meeting to go over your other comments to ensure they will not happen again. We hope you will consider staying with us again in the near future. If so, please ask to see me personally, I am usually on property every day and would like to meet with you in person.