“Perfect summer stay”
Review of Sonnenalp

Sonnenalp
Ranked #1 of 30 Hotels in Vail
Reviewed July 5, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Sonnenalp with our 2 1/2 year old daughter. The staff was friendly and welcoming from John, at the bell desk, to Heinz and DeJay in the restaurant - Ludwig's. The room was a lovely loft so our daughter could sleep while we sat on the balcony and listened to the river or relaxed inside in the evening. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and the summer rates were very affordable. We had breakfast included with the daily rate - which I highly recommend. The breakfast options were fresh and delicious and, as I stated previously, the service was impecable. My only criticism of the property is that the water didn't quite get hot enough in the shower. We look forward to returning.

Room Tip: get breakfast included in room rate
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2011

Thank you for your kind words regarding our staff. I will make sure they read your review. I hope your daughter also enjoyed her stay and the cookies! I will personally look in to the water situation you experienced and make sure it is resolved. Hopefully we will see you again very soon.

Best Wishes,

Johannes Faessler

There are newer reviews for Sonnenalp

Reviewed June 27, 2011

I attended the wedding reception of a friend at the Sonnenalp a long time ago when my daughter was very young. I thought at the time that I would love to be able to offer her a Sonnenalp wedding reception one day. When she became engaged, I asked if she had any ideas for a wedding reception venue. She said that she loved the Sonnealp, its hospitable spaces, its lovely terrace, and its proximity to the Vail Interfaith Chapel where she would be married.
We met with the Sonnenalp event planning staff and, with their expert help, we were able to offer the wedding guests a beautiful and memorable reception. The ambiance of the Sonnenalp is most charming, the service is most gracious, and the food is finely prepared and impeccably presented. The wedding cake was not only gorgeous, it was delicious. The staff worked hard to achieve what we wanted to offer while staying within our budget perameters. In a discreet and charming way, they were attentive to me to make certain the reception was unfolding as I desired. The extraordinary staff paid attention to every possible detail.
We are grateful to the Sonnenalp for the wonderful memories we will enjoy of the remarkable day. We are grateful we could share the best of Vail with our beloved family and friends who joined us from near and far to celebrate a most happy marriage.

jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2011

We are delighted your daughter’s wedding was a success! It was a pleasure to host this wonderful event for you and your family. We agree the details are key; every little nuance has to be perfection. We hope to see you and your family again soon.

Reviewed June 22, 2011

My husband and I took an unplanned trip to Vail with friends we were visiting in Denver. We had no room reservation and decided to check the Sonnenalp to see if there were any rooms available. It must have been our lucky day because we discovered there were not only empty rooms, but they were offering them at very discounted prices because it was their off-season. We had no idea what we were in for when we stopped at the Sonnenalp that day. We are middle class people that must save up to take a vacation and then we have to budget our money so that it stretches throughout our trip. Needless to say, we have NEVER experienced the kind of luxury that we got at this great hotel. Our room was actually a suite with heated marble floors and a fireplace. There was a little balcony off the bedroom that overlooked a blooming flower garden. The free gourmet breakfast was eaten outside, next to a stream, and the "turn-down" service that included warm chocolate chip cookies and bottled water on the nightstand which we found when we got back to our room after dinner was a surprise that we never expected. I kept pinching myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming! We had so much fun at the Sonnenalp that we ended up staying an extra night and actually cancelled plans to do something else so we wouldn't have to leave! I got breast cancer last year and don't know how many more opportunities I will have to travel to Vail, but at this point I am well enough to travel and we are planning another visit to Denver this year in late July or early August. I am very tempted to make another side trip to Vail to see if we might get lucky again, but even if we never stay at the Sonnenalp again, we will always have the awesome memories from our last visit! Ahhh, I can smell those cookies now!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank Robbie8452
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2011

I am so glad you stopped in and asked about availability. Especially during off season, there are typically rooms available at a discounted rate which we love to offer our guests. We do hope you take another getaway up to the mountains. If so, please stop in for another visit. I would like to welcome you in person.

Best wishes for your health and recovery,

Reviewed June 20, 2011

Am a bit embarressed to say after viisting Vail since 1980, either for pleasure or business, I had never stayed at Sonnenalp. Often dined in the the resorts restaurants, but generally for the convenience of lodging in the hotel of my conferences, had just never spent a night at Sonnenalp. Having now been immersed in the charm, the understated elegance, the attentive staff, this is the only place my family will ever stay in Vail. Last year I spent 4 weeks in Vail at various locations and so regret not checking in on the Sonnenalp.
I stayed in a guest room this year that was lovely, overlooking town, with mountain scenes to the right and left on our balcony. Our fireplace in the morning and in the evening while enjoying our warm cookies was just delightful. When not in the mood for noisy apres ski, the lounge area in Sonnenalp is such a pleasant respite. Spa services were fabulous. Very thoughtful ski storage arrangement...even there the staff was just extraordinary. Honestly, I left Sonnenalp a much, much happier person.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Amanda055
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2011

We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and greatly appreciate your detailed review. The picture you paint with your words is a perfect representation of our mission for the ultimate in guest services experience. Please have the front desk call me during your next visit, I would very much enjoy meeting you.

Best wishes, Johannes Faessler, Owner / General Manager Sonnenalp Resort of Vail

Reviewed June 19, 2011

I have stayed in better hotels in Vail. While it is in a good location in Vail, the service and cleanliness of the hotel were worse than expected. Especially after the other reviews which make it out to be perfect.

• Stayed: March 2011
1  Thank Mckajjl
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2011

I am so sorry to hear you did not fully enjoy your stay with us. Please feel free to call me at 1-800-654-8312 and discuss any details you may have so we can rectify your disappointment. We look forward to the opportunity of having you as our guest in the future to insure a great stay with us.

Reviewed June 13, 2011

Service, service, service!!! I cannot say enough about the amazing staff and service at this hotel. Everyone is so friendly and will literally bend over backward to get you what you need and make sure you are comfortable. One of the nights we went to dinner at the hotel's fodue restaurant and I spilled red wine on my white shirt... that night they took the shirt for me, dry cleaned it, and had it hanging in the closet the next day. Then of all things, I forgot the shirt in the closet and the hotel over-nighted the shirt to my house and charged me nothing for any of it!! They really have a way of making everyone feel like a VIP. Vail is so beautiful and the hotel grounds really give you that relaxed mountain feeling. I have never had a trip to this hotel that I didn't love and I am always sad when I leave. I know I will be coming back. Please, treat your family to this amazing experience.

Room Tip: The river views are my favorite
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2011

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience at the Sonnenalp. We always strive for excellence in hospitality and service. Please ask to say hello during your next visit, I would like to thank you in person for your continued company.
Best regards, Johannes Faessler, Owner / General Manager Sonnenalp Resort of Vail

Reviewed June 13, 2011

We go to Vail every year with my family and everytime our experience the Sonnenalp exceeds our expectations. The staff is perfectly attentive and genuine. The facilities are amazing. I work in the restaurant industry and know what it takes to deliver great service and theirs is second to none. Thank you as always...We will see you next year!!!!!!!!

jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2011

Thank you so very much for your annual stays with us and professional insight to the industry. I am hoping you are a S.M.I.L.E member, receiving special discounts at all our venues each time you visit. This is a complimentary card I would be happy to give you personally during your next stay if you do not already have one.
I look forward to seeing you next year, Johannes Faessler, Owner / General Manager Sonnenalp Resort of Vail