“Will never stay anywhere else in Vail again...”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Sonnenalp

Sonnenalp
Ranked #1 of 30 Hotels in Vail
Virginia
“Will never stay anywhere else in Vail again...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2011

Am a bit embarressed to say after viisting Vail since 1980, either for pleasure or business, I had never stayed at Sonnenalp. Often dined in the the resorts restaurants, but generally for the convenience of lodging in the hotel of my conferences, had just never spent a night at Sonnenalp. Having now been immersed in the charm, the understated elegance, the attentive staff, this is the only place my family will ever stay in Vail. Last year I spent 4 weeks in Vail at various locations and so regret not checking in on the Sonnenalp.
I stayed in a guest room this year that was lovely, overlooking town, with mountain scenes to the right and left on our balcony. Our fireplace in the morning and in the evening while enjoying our warm cookies was just delightful. When not in the mood for noisy apres ski, the lounge area in Sonnenalp is such a pleasant respite. Spa services were fabulous. Very thoughtful ski storage arrangement...even there the staff was just extraordinary. Honestly, I left Sonnenalp a much, much happier person.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Amanda055
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this review, June 23, 2011
We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and greatly appreciate your detailed review. The picture you paint with your words is a perfect representation of our mission for the ultimate in guest services experience. Please have the front desk call me during your next visit, I would very much enjoy meeting you.

Best wishes, Johannes Faessler, Owner / General Manager Sonnenalp Resort of Vail

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2011

I have stayed in better hotels in Vail. While it is in a good location in Vail, the service and cleanliness of the hotel were worse than expected. Especially after the other reviews which make it out to be perfect.

• Stayed March 2011
1 Thank Mckajjl
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this review, June 23, 2011
I am so sorry to hear you did not fully enjoy your stay with us. Please feel free to call me at 1-800-654-8312 and discuss any details you may have so we can rectify your disappointment. We look forward to the opportunity of having you as our guest in the future to insure a great stay with us.

Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2011

Service, service, service!!! I cannot say enough about the amazing staff and service at this hotel. Everyone is so friendly and will literally bend over backward to get you what you need and make sure you are comfortable. One of the nights we went to dinner at the hotel's fodue restaurant and I spilled red wine on my white shirt... that night they took the shirt for me, dry cleaned it, and had it hanging in the closet the next day. Then of all things, I forgot the shirt in the closet and the hotel over-nighted the shirt to my house and charged me nothing for any of it!! They really have a way of making everyone feel like a VIP. Vail is so beautiful and the hotel grounds really give you that relaxed mountain feeling. I have never had a trip to this hotel that I didn't love and I am always sad when I leave. I know I will be coming back. Please, treat your family to this amazing experience.

Room Tip: The river views are my favorite
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this review, June 15, 2011
Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience at the Sonnenalp. We always strive for excellence in hospitality and service. Please ask to say hello during your next visit, I would like to thank you in person for your continued company.
Best regards, Johannes Faessler, Owner / General Manager Sonnenalp Resort of Vail
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2011

We go to Vail every year with my family and everytime our experience the Sonnenalp exceeds our expectations. The staff is perfectly attentive and genuine. The facilities are amazing. I work in the restaurant industry and know what it takes to deliver great service and theirs is second to none. Thank you as always...We will see you next year!!!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this review, June 15, 2011
Thank you so very much for your annual stays with us and professional insight to the industry. I am hoping you are a S.M.I.L.E member, receiving special discounts at all our venues each time you visit. This is a complimentary card I would be happy to give you personally during your next stay if you do not already have one.
I look forward to seeing you next year, Johannes Faessler, Owner / General Manager Sonnenalp Resort of Vail
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2011

The location of this hotel was excellent and the rooms were spacious and comfortable. The service in this hotel is severely lacking however. Housekeeping staff were very friendly but staff at the front desk were unhelpful and didn't appear to be interested in making our stay comfortable. Just one example of this would be that the fireplace in our room stopped working. We rang the front desk who sent an engineer up straight away. When the engineer was unable to fix the problem, we weren't offered another room and received no further communication from hotel staff. We went down to ask to switch rooms and although staff were happy to do this, they must not have made a note of this in their system as we received no turndown service that evening and our newspaper wasn't delivered in the morning. We also had to wait an hour and a half for an ice bucket to be delivered despite being assured by the front desk that it was on its away. Although the rooms were very nice, the attention to detail from staff was lacking and put a dampener on our stay here. We booked a nice suite hoping to spend our first wedding anniversary in a warm, friendly environment but unfortunately didn't find this at the hotel. If we did recommend this hotel we would warn friends about the service here.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank faseeha
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this review, June 14, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review our resort. I am very sorry to hear about your less than perfect stay with us and your comments will be addressed immediately. Please call me personally to reserve your next stay with us. We would very much welcome the opportunity to surpass all your expectations in every possible way. We want to insure that you are most comfortable in recommending our resort to your friends and family.

Warmest regards
Johannes Faessler, Owner / General Manager Sonnenalp Resort of Vail
Golden, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2011

We have stayed at the Sonnenalp on previous occasions and will do so again. We love the luxury of the hotel itself and the amazing service - from the bellmen, the concierge, the front desk staff, the house staff, the spa staff, and the restaurant staff - is icing on the cake. We always feel spoiled and appreciated every time we're there. There simply is nothing about the Sonnenalp that we don't love!

Room Tip: Request a room with a view of Gore Creek
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LoveColoradoOutdoors
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this review, May 26, 2011
Thank you very much for your kind words and feedback. We work very hard here to insure our guests have a most enjoyable stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Sonnenalp in the near future.
With warmest regards,
Johannes Faessler,
Owner / General Manager,
Sonnenalp Resort of Vail
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2011

It was our first stay at Vail.
The staff was very helpful to prepare our stay (transfert from Denver, Ski location)
Every thing in the hotel is very well organized: ski concierge, location.
The concierge is very efficient.
The staff is very pleasant

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank deny67
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this review, April 15, 2011
Thank you for taking time to share your great experience at the Sonnenalp. We hope your complete Vail experience was everything you expected and more and that we will be welcoming you back again in the near future. With warmest regards, Johannes Faessler, Owner / General Manager Sonnenalp Resort of Vail